Status
Not open for further replies.

bess

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2004
Status
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please, I would like to find out if it is possible for a nurse to work a few hours while in med. school or during the summers. Anyone knows if nurses have any advantage based on experience in med. school?

fullefect1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
Mass
Status
With the big demand for nurses... yes, you could find a job that will work around your hours.. and ya sure you could do it in the summer. But as for you other question... The word on the street is that nurses are at a disadvantage when applying to Med school.

LSUwannabe

Just vomicked...
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
NOLA
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
bess said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please, I would like to find out if it is possible for a nurse to work a few hours while in med. school or during the summers. Anyone knows if nurses have any advantage based on experience in med. school?

Yes some work, as do some EMT's, lab guys, etc.

Are you asking if nurses have an advantage while IN medical school or an advantage in getting in?

If your #'s are fine I don't know how it could hurt getting in. Once in, a nurse would have some advantages over some other students I should think.

whimmsy

10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
Status
I am a former nurse currently applying to med school. I have spoken with allot of people about this issue and my take is that the clinical experience is good but med schools sometimes are somewhat prejudiced against nurses. I don't really think they even consider the experience any better then say that of an EMT. It sucks but I think it’s true. I personally think med schools are taking less of a risk with nurses because we know what we are getting into as far as patient care. After all most people don't know that the hardest part of patient care is dealing with difficult people and I have known med students and residents who realize they hate it after the classes end.

Of course each school views the nursing experience differently. But don't expect any school to let you in or even interview you if you don't have sufficient scores on your MCAT and in your pre-med classes. I also have an MBA from a top 10 B-school and my post bacc advisor said that will be looked at better then the nursing experience. However, my nursing experience has been helpful at interviews. The bottom line is you need the scores and some kind of clinical or research experience but much more then that will not help much.

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
duplicate thread, so closing.

feel free to contribute to the open one in the allo forum

Status