1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

nursing and dentistry

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by yukonxlgal, Jun 11, 2001.

1. I am currently a 1st year nursing student and going to dentistry after I get my BS...is this bad?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Good question, you might want to post in the RN/NP forum.... I'm sure the nurses there would respond to this....

Any dentist/predents folks have any suggestion for our newcomer to the forum here?

BTW, WELCOME TO SDN!!! :D

4. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

There are applicants to all health professions schools who come with a wide variety of professional or other working backgrounds. If you meet the admissions requirements with competitive grades and test scores, have some knowledge of the new career, and can explain well why you are changing careers, there should be little or no problem. Maturity is also always a plus.

5. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I ovderlooked an important thing in your post: that you are a first year nursing student. If you really want dentistry, get out of the nursing program: those courses will not meet admission requirements to any doctoral health professions school! Being a nurse first will give you no advantage when you apply to dental school. You will then have to return to college and take the science courses which will meet doctoral level admissions requirements.

The only reason for staying I can see that will be useful to you is, if you are not admitted to dental school, you have something to fall back on.

6. nily

nily Junior Member

I totally agree with the post above.
    I was also in nursing school for a year but when I realized I liked dentistry better, I immediately switched my major and opted for a bio major pre-dental.
    The nursing curriculum is huge and very difficult to bear. So don't even think about adding pre-med courses to it!
    Sincerely, my advice to you, leave nursing and go for dentistry. It's a much better choice and if you want it, you'll get it.
    I struggled a little with some of the pre-med requirements but you have to keep the big picture in mind at all time.
    I got into 4 dental schools, among the best in the nation.
    So see, if you want it, you can do it.
    Best of luck to you.