Nursing dilemma - need some advice pls. ..m

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muttmommy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm usually over on the veterinary board, but had a question that has been bothering me for some time about nursing. Hoping someone can help me out.

I recently graduated with a B.A. History - was considering nursing school, but was too far into my degree to change at the time. I wanted to become a CRNP, but wonder if at my age, and with kids and responsibilites (ok, mostly age - I'm 36) if it wouldn't be very prudent. I spoke to a counselor at my local community college, since I'd have to start at the very beginning again and she told me that it would take two years or more, since I wouldn't be able to do my clinicals for a year after finishing all the prereqs and stuff. Something about the way they schedule them, I guess. This is discouraging, to say the least. Although there are other schools in the area, I really wanted to move forward as quickly as possible, so that I could get into an RN-MS program as soon as possible.

Do any of you think my age and the length of time it will take me to get to my terminal goal should stop me? I guess that's my big issue - I don't want to be TOO old and grey by the time I finish! :laugh:

Thanks everyone in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

The only person " too old" is the one that has been dead for a year.

Go for it!

Agape

Thanks for the support!! I like your way of thinking! Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Come on over to the Non-Traditionals board and see about "too old." ;)

- a future 41-year-old Intern

It's never too late. I've been an RN for 5 years and there were several of my class mates in their mid-40's. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way for you to get a nursing degree any faster. If your other degree were in a science field you would probably have most of the pre-reqs already, but being a history major put you at a little disadvantage. What makes you want to be a Nurse Practitioner? For the same amount of schooling you can get a Masters in Nurse Anesthesia. Much better money. But you have to do what's important to you. For me, it's med school. Good luck :)

Your not too old. Also there are some programs (University of Arizona) has one where if you already have a BS you can take an intensive 13 month program to get your nursing degree. OH yeah and the best part is that it is free if you sign a contract to work at a local area hospital for 2 years. It is a pretty good deal, fairly competitive to get into but I have some reservations as to the quality of the clinical eduation but it would be a quick way for you to become a nurse. Good luck, even though I an just about to start a career change, nursing has served me well for the past 10 years.