Nursing Home experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDStar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do y'all think about working at a nursing home? Is this valuble clinical experience? Is nurising home experience copnsidered "weak" compared to other clinical experiences such as hospital work or EMT work?

Oh, more specifically: the primary role of the work I have been able to find is distributiong medication to patients... what do you think about the drug exposure that may be involved with such work? I beleive gloves are provided, but it is likely that the binding agents in the pills do not totally prevent the drugs from moving through the air (in tiny quanities of course, but still...). Any thoughts on occupational risks? Is this acting like a baby? Do doctors get exposed to drugs in the workplace (other than anesthesiologists, who generally DO get exposed SIGNIFICANTLY to the drugs they administer)?

Members don't see this ad.

If distributing pills is what you consider a health risk, I suggest you consider another career.

PsyDStar said:
What do y'all think about working at a nursing home? Is this valuble clinical experience? Is nurising home experience copnsidered "weak" compared to other clinical experiences such as hospital work or EMT work?

Oh, more specifically: the primary role of the work I have been able to find is distributiong medication to patients... what do you think about the drug exposure that may be involved with such work? I beleive gloves are provided, but it is likely that the binding agents in the pills do not totally prevent the drugs from moving through the air (in tiny quanities of course, but still...). Any thoughts on occupational risks? Is this acting like a baby? Do doctors get exposed to drugs in the workplace (other than anesthesiologists, who generally DO get exposed SIGNIFICANTLY to the drugs they administer)?

I volunteered in a nursing home and found it very instructive. It is an interesting health care setting that many premeds never see, and its a place to see where our health care system has many shortfalls. All in all, it was a rather unique experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
nursing homes are boring! i volunteered there many years ago during highschool...it was cool being around old people, but it wasnt exciting at all! for me, i enjoy kids because that is what i am deep inside...

PsyDStar said:

Working in a nursing home is very valuable experience, even if it isn't as "sexy" as EMT work. I worked in nursing homes for several years (starting in HS, actually) and got a lot out of the experience. It made up a significant portion of my PS.

Your concern about the medications borders on silly, though. You are not at risk from passing pills. Don't worry about it.

MollyMalone said:
Working in a nursing home is very valuable experience, even if it isn't as "sexy" as EMT work. I worked in nursing homes for several years (starting in HS, actually) and got a lot out of the experience. It made up a significant portion of my PS.

Your concern about the medications borders on silly, though. You are not at risk from passing pills. Don't worry about it.

Yea, it is only "sexy" if they have their teeth in...