Nursing home jobs for hospitalist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peterish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience rounding on nursing home patients? Is it something that a full time hospitalist can do during off weeks? What's the typical pay and scheduling structure? I seldom come accross job postings for this type of thing. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I currently do this and yes its possible.

Honestly, the nursing homes will LOVE you if you have a link to the hospital. Obviously, its illegal for them to expect referrals from your admits to their facility based on any privileges granted. If they even so much as mention it, cut them off and remind them that this kind of talk is not legal and one that you will have a zero tolerance for....If they give you any weird reaction, its not a NH/SNF/rehab center you want to work with. It's also illegal to try to recruit patients to exclusively go to your facility. However, if they ask, you can always say...there are many good facilities, you can pick whichever you want, I go to this one but the decision is of course up to you and I encourage you to pick one close to family support since that's important. Most of the time, they will pick a different facility, but some will want to follow you there.

I do NH/SNF/ALF/ work on my weeks off and sometimes I get friends to cover my codes if I HAVE to leave during my weeks on. This has happened once in almost two years.

Go to the SNF, nursing home, and tell them that you're interested in seeing patients there. Odds are they will grant you privileges. This is nothing like getting hospital privileges. It took me about a week to be granted privileges.

Once you know they will give you privileges, call your med malpractice and make sure you're covered and get a lawyer to set you up a PLLC (or whatever structure you want) for protection. Then, get a billing company to help you out.

With time if you get enough referrals, they may want you to be med director, especially if you are easily accessible. Be a good business man, shake hands, and each time your there let them know you're there. They will love it if you come even once a week since some people treat this type of job in some cities as an easy way to make cash.

Once you make it to med director, average pay varies per location. In Texas, average pay for med director is anywhere from 2-3k a month. Meetings are once a month and 30 min to an hour long.

-----------------------------

So to answer your question, yes its possible. I do the week on and week off schedule. I also do some locums shifts on the side and SNF/ALF work.

In all, I make $2,500-$3,000 monthly stipend to be med director per facility plus RVU from whatever I bill minus the billers fees.

You have to LOVE talking to patients, families, and a slower pace of practice. This type of work isn't for everyone but I find it very rewarding. Most hospitalist don't like this kind of work since it's very low acuity of illness. Dementia is present in I would guess 70% of my patients who have no place else to go. Don't do it just for the money bc you will have a thirty minute family meeting about ear wax by some well to do family that wants every problem addressed NOW. However, if you don't mind the family meetings and listening to chronically ill patients, it's very good money on the side.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have! I don't get on here often so email me at [email protected] if I don't get around to your question right away.

Reactions: 5 users