Nursing home jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HenryH

AA-S
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have browsed a few job openings for nursing home podiatrists, and almost all seem to promise $800-$1,000/day take-home pay. So why do most podiatrists seem to view these jobs in a negative light?

Members don't see this ad.

I have browsed a few job openings for nursing home podiatrists, and almost all seem to promise $800-$1,000/day take-home pay. So why do most podiatrists seem to view these jobs in a negative light?

Because you spend the ENTIRE day cutting nails and trimming calluses. While palliative care is part of the profession, I'm not doing a three year residency in forefoot/rearfoot/ankle trauma and reconstructive surgery to solely do that! Talk about mind-numbing.

So would you say that most non-nursing home jobs pay within the range offered by these nursing home jobs? Just curious...

Members don't see this ad :)
So would you say that most non-nursing home jobs pay within the range offered by these nursing home jobs? Just curious...

Financially, you can do very well. It all comes down to where you want to work, how much you want to work, and what you are trained to do. Some residents from my program have hired on with groups (ortho, multispecialty, pod) around the country and usually start somewhere in the mid-100's. Others started their own practice and are making a killing.

Thanks for your response. What would you say is the "low" end for associate starting salaries? I'm just trying to get a feel for if the "50k days" are over...

Not all of these jobs are coding ethically.

Thanks for your response. What would you say is the "low" end for associate starting salaries? I'm just trying to get a feel for if the "50k days" are over...

Generally when you see those figures, it is a base salary. After you gross a certain amount for the group or practice, you take home a percentage of that as well so in the end, you make a lot more than your base per year. It is based on your production. I recently graduated resident from my program signed a base of 90K per year but ended up making twice that his first year out.

But if you're willing to work for 50K a year, I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to hire you:laugh:

LOL, I'm just going off the "horror stories" I've heard thrown around in the past. Trust me when I say that I'm not bashing podiatry; I'm simply trying to refute the rumors that podiatry is a financial sinkhole and make sure that I'm going into something "stable."

LOL, I'm just going off the "horror stories" I've heard thrown around in the past. Trust me when I say that I'm not bashing podiatry; I'm simply trying to refute the rumors that podiatry is a financial sinkhole and make sure that I'm going into something "stable."

Anything you go into can be financially "unstable". What you do in those years of medical school and residency make you what you are in the real world. If you want to be lazy and just get by, then that's what will occur when you practice. If you're a go-getter and learn everything and anything then your practice will flourish(sp?).

SNF, INF and rest homes are a great way to make money. Do not work for companies that hire you to travel to NH's. Just get your own. These companies will take a cut; usually 40%. Why? Do it yourself. Approach the NH administrators and sell yourself, if they like you they will give you a contract. If all you want is 100K a year, simply become a NH administrator. It is very easy.