Nursing home that serves those dealing with Alzheimer and memory impairment - clinical or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr panda

Wicked bun
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. It seems that adcoms view nursing homes as being in a gray area in terms of clinical experience, however, would this particular example count as clinical?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Nursing home that serves those dealing with Alzheimer and memory impairment - clinical or not?

Hello everyone. It seems that adcoms view nursing homes as being in a gray area in terms of clinical experience, however, would this particular example count as clinical?
If it's an inpatient Alzheimer's/Dementia Unit, I'd call it clinical. If it's a daycare program, I would not.

If it's an inpatient Alzheimer's/Dementia Unit, I'd call it clinical. If it's a daycare program, I would not.
Thank you! The description of the nursing home says: "[home name] at [city name] is an assisted living and memory care community located in [county name]. We are dedicated to the care and well-being of our residents living with Alzheimer’s and dementia. Our community is designed to provide your family member with a dignified and enriching living experience. Our two levels of memory care address the unique needs of residents with early, moderate, and more advanced stages of memory impairment."

The description of the nursing home says: "[home name] at [city name] is an assisted living and memory care community located in [county name]. We are dedicated to the care and well-being of our residents living with Alzheimer’s and dementia. Our community is designed to provide your family member with a dignified and enriching living experience. Our two levels of memory care address the unique needs of residents with early, moderate, and more advanced stages of memory impairment."
Volunteering in Assisted Living facilities is not considered "clinical.". Skilled-level nursing units do provide "clinical" experience though. Can you sort out the time spent in each location?

Volunteering in Assisted Living facilities is not considered "clinical.". Skilled-level nursing units do provide "clinical" experience though. Can you sort out the time spent in each location?
Thank you, I am just about to start this volunteering, but supposed to spend most of the time dealing with people with memory impairment not with just senior residents.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely clinical. I’ve done it before and it can be very valuable.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you everyone for participating, I will do this volunteering anyway, and bump this question again when I will be applying.

Thank you everyone for participating, I will do this volunteering anyway, and bump this question again when I will be applying.
Good luck! I am sure it will be very enriching