Nursing Home Volunteer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatewasani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have previously volunteered at a nursing home (around 75 hours) and am considering starting up a new different nursing home pretty soon. I just want to clarify that Nursing home volunteer can be considered as healthcare/clinical hours for AACOMAS and other applications that ask for healthcare experience.

I'm not sure if AACOMAS explicitly says healthcare experience but I know other Master's applications Do, so I just want to make sure I can put my nursing home volunteer work and it would satisfy.

I only ask, because I wasn't dealing directly with "patients" they were just older people which I led Bingo for or other non-medical (arts and crafts etc...)things.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I have previously volunteered at a nursing home (around 75 hours) and am considering starting up a new different nursing home pretty soon. I just want to clarify that Nursing home volunteer can be considered as healthcare/clinical hours for AACOMAS and other applications that ask for healthcare experience.

I'm not sure if AACOMAS explicitly says healthcare experience but I know other Master's applications Do, so I just want to make sure I can put my nursing home volunteer work and it would satisfy.

I only ask, because I wasn't dealing directly with "patients" they were just older people which I led Bingo for or other non-medical (arts and crafts etc...)things.

Unless you were involved in some medical capacity (i.e. transport to hospitals, medical clerical work), I don't believe it would be counted as clinical work. I could very easily be wrong, though. At first glance I thought it would definitely count, but then you clarified - they actually aren't patients, just old people playing bingo. If it was a rehab facility or you were involved in any kind of medical care, that would be different.

It may not be clinical, but do include it on your application because you can list all volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
so do you think i'd be better off volunteering some where else?

I'm already volunteering at a hospital so would need something different.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a similair question. I have little clinical experience at the moment but will be looking for a paid job in the future to help handle that. Would it be better to volunteer at a nursing home vs. a hospice or does it make no difference at all?

You want volunteer experience. You want clinical experience. Just get both. It doesn't matter what combination of paid/clinical/nonclinical/nonpaid gets you there. I WOULD suggest doing something you care about and enjoy.

From my understanding hospice would be clinical and nursing home would not, unless you're involved in some kind of medical capacity.