nursing major and med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mary c

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
have any of you ever heard of a baccalaureate rn graduate being accepted into medical school?..my dghtr really wants to major in nursing b/c she's been a pca in high school and now is working her way through college as a pca in peds..but she really wants to major in nursing and then maybe be a doctor..she just loves working with people..is it possible to get in with an rn major?? ..thanx for ANY advice

Members don't see this ad.

It is possible to get into medical school with any major (music, history, physics, biochemistry, etc.). The only requirements for medical school are that you take the requisite courses and the MCAT exam. For most schools the requisiste courses are:

1 year of chemistry
1 year of biology
1 year of phyiscs
1 year of organic chemistry

All with LAB. A few schools have math, biochemistry, and social science (i.e., psychology) course requirements so you should check with the individual schools. All these courses could easily be taken within the nursing curriculum. There have been plenty of R.N.'s that have gone on to become M.D.'s.

thank you mpp!! i am an rn myself and i just havent heard of many going for their md degrees!!..but i will tell my daughter this info...

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my RN in '94 and was just accepted into med school, class of 2006. Nursing is great experience in patient care, however, there are quite a few prereq. classes for med school that are not in the BSN program. Also, one should be prepared to answer the question, "What is it about nursing that you don't like?" Even if she loves nursing, she will have to defend her decision to leave the profession.

Lots of luck, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

You can also check out the Nursing section of this site. :)

md mom...thanx for the info..she is having trouble FINDING a bachelor of science nursing program in california..were from ohio but she moved out there when she was 18..trying to establish residency...all the nursing programs seem to require an rn degree..its different here in ohio..a lot of baccalaureate 4 year bsn programs...so did you take the required classes that werent in the bsn program later??..how did you prepare for the mcats...by the way..congratulations..i hope to hear how you like it....thanx again

Hi again,

Tell your daughter to contact the state board of nurse examiners (I'm sure she can find it via the internet). They can give her a list of ALL of the accredited nursing programs in the state of Cali. There are diploma, associate, and BSN programs. The only program that will require an RN is the "RN to BSN" program for ADN nurses who want to get their Bach. degree.

I took the required premed classes after I decided to continue with my goal of becoming a physician. When the time came for the MCAT, I took the Kaplan review, expensive, but well worth my time I think. Other than that, lots and lots of reading and practice tests.

If your daughter knows that it is her intention to go to med school later, let her know that she must to well in all of her classes now to make herself more competitive when the time comes.

Take care and good luck. :)

•••quote:••• What is it about nursing that you don't like? ••••My mother is an oncology nurse. I listen to her talk about her experiences every day after work (mind you, she loves her profession). I gather that the answers to the above question are:

a. a doctor can do more than a nurse, relatively speaking of course. There are advantages and disadvantages for both professions.

b. don't have to be subjected to S.O.B, arrogant-with-a-rod-up-the-anus doctors who believe they could mistreat anyone and everyone anytime of the day.

Personally, if I get to start all over again, I would not major in Biological Sciences as an undergraduate. I would go get a BS and Nursing and take all the prerequisite courses for medical school and do exceptionally well in them.

As I listen to my mother (and sometimes her coworkers) relate their daily experiences, I get the impression that they, sometimes, know more than the doctor(s) on the case. It always make me laugh underneath my breath that there could be doctors out there who need to have their nurses tell them what medicine to write down on their orders. It is ironically hillarious.

In any event, I wish your daughter luck and good health.