1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Nursing--->Med Sch(Pyschiatry/Peads)

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by blu_sky, Jul 18, 2006.

1. blu_sky

blu_sky New Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I was just curious, are there any Nurses who have thought about Med. Sch after their Nursing degree, or any Nursing students who are going into an area in medicine after their Nursing degree? I'm considering becoming a Psychiatrist or Pediatrician after my Bsc.N. I'll be starting my first year in Nursing in September. I've heard that Nursing is tough and I'm just worried that I won't do well in the program and that in the end, my GPA won't be high enough for Med. Sch. I did Psychology last yr. in my first y. of uni., and one of my main reasons for changing into Nursing this yr. (besides helping out my Family -b/c it's a 4-yr program and you''re sure to get a job after finishing the degree) is to eventually go to Med. Sch. and go into one of the professions I mentioned above, and that if I don't get in to Med. Sch, I can always become a Nurse. I enjoyed my Psych. courses last yr. I enjoy arts more than science courses. Of all the sciences I like Biology the most. I'm not too fond of Chemistry and Physics, probably b/c I didn't do that great in them in high sch. no matter how hard I tried. I've done some career assessments tests at school last yr. and online, and Psychiatrist, Psychologist seemed to always be at the top of the list for almost all of them, then Pediatrician, Physician. Nurse came next. I'm just wondering if I made the wrong decision by choosing Nursing, should I have stayed in a program I enjoy and can do well in (Psychology), a program that may give me a better chance of getting into Med. sch and reaching my ultimate goal -Psychiatry or Pediatrician? I'm also concerned with how I'll juggle my Nursing courses with the courses I'll need to take for Med sch. (ex; organic chem), since some med. schs and nursing schs. have different prerequisites. After high sch., I battled whether to go into Psychology or Nursing. In the end I chose Psych. A few months ago after my first yr., I decided to change into Nursing and have gotten into a Nursing Sch. Now I'm having second thoughts again and thinking I'm making a huge mistake, and my Parents will go crazy if I tell them about going back to Psychology again. I hate being so indecisive, but I'm just trying to make the right decison w/o having any regrets lateron. Not that I hate Nursing, but it just was never my top career choice to begin with. I'll greatly appreciate your advice or input.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nikegiwa

nikegiwa Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Hello there!

You mentioned a variety of different issues in your post. I don't believe I've ever posted in the Nursing thread, but I wanted to reply to you. I am by no means an expert, but I think maybe you need to take a bit of time and truly evaluate what you'd like to do versus what you can do, and from there settle on putting your heart and soul into whatever profession wins out. Your question is not uncommon, as I've read many posts from people in various fields (nursing included) that feel a strong desire to pursue medicine as a career. What I am more concerned with is that you seem a bit unsettled. It may be partially that you are just young and cautious (which is not a bad thing at all), but it could be more.

Are you truly in a position where it is of dire importance for you to major in Nursing and have a guaranteed job in a four year time span? If you are not, then that nullifies one of your two reasons for wanting to go to nursing school. And frankly, the other reason could be considered null as well, because nursing is not a bridge to med school. I don't mean that there aren't people who took that route...I mean that in many cases the science prerequisites required for the BSN are not equivalent to those required for a premed, and therefore you will not be lightening your courseload. In most cases, you will complete your BSN and then find that nearly every single one of the science courses aren't transferable, causing you to have to take nearly two years of premed (which you could have already taken and completed a long time earlier if you hadn't tacked on the additional nursing courses).

Sciences are imporatnt to anyone going into healthcare. It's okay if you "prefer" arts to sciences as long as you can still kick butt in the science courses. If you can't you'll be in trouble. It's good that you like Bio because it is a foundational course, but your Chem scores are important for the science GPA as well, so you can't bomb them (try to find a tutor and/or some good study prep books).

Psychology is a safe field to major in if you want to go to med school. I would advise you to take additional Psch courses before settling in on it as a major; often the "survey" intro courses fail to go into much depth about the field.

I think Nursing is a great profession and there are many great nurses out there. And with the shortage, we need many bright young nurses to enter the profession. But it just doesn't sound like you really want to do it; it sounds like Nursing is a "safety net" career for you. Or perhaps when you learn more about it, you will develop more interest. Maybe you should think about shadowing some doctors, some nurses, and some mental health professionals to help gauge which one truly sparks something in you? Or remain an "undecided" mahjor and take a lot of sciences (the premed ones when you can--nursing school may require, for example "Intro Chem" but they won't turn away someone who chose to take the harder "General Chem") as backup?

Hope this helps.