Nursing School (RN) graduate - seeking med school acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnDoe12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello community. Nursing school (RN) graduate in December of 2012 (2 months away), interested in a more responsibility/involved role in patient care. Interested in medical school. After graduation in December I plan to attend a regional University near my hometown and finish a biology degree with medical school pre-reqs incorporated with that degree. Interested in Oklahoma State University (DO) program. Any information or helpful advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need a biology degree to go into medical school. You only need to complete the prerequisites. Unfortunately for you, being a recent nursing graduate will be a hindrance as it will seem you took the place from someone that actually would have wanted to be a nurse. There is not much you can do about that unless you plan to apply 5 years from now after working as a nurse.

There is really no big advice to give. Do well in your prerequisite courses. Find leadership positions. Give your free time to volunteering and shadowing. Apply and hope for the best. Remember, if you have low grades, aacomas allows for grade replacement.

You don't need a biology degree to go into medical school. You only need to complete the prerequisites. Unfortunately for you, being a recent nursing graduate will be a hindrance as it will seem you took the place from someone that actually would have wanted to be a nurse. There is not much you can do about that unless you plan to apply 5 years from now after working as a nurse.

There is really no big advice to give. Do well in your prerequisite courses. Find leadership positions. Give your free time to volunteering and shadowing. Apply and hope for the best. Remember, if you have low grades, aacomas allows for grade replacement.

What do you mean 5 years from now I should apply? I will have all of my pre-req courses for MED school within 3 semesters, and will have taken the MCAT by then too.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean 5 years from now I should apply? I will have all of my pre-req courses for MED school within 3 semesters, and will have taken the MCAT by then too.

Try re-reading what he wrote one more time....

"Do not fear an army of lions led by a sheep, instead fear an army of sheep led by a lion."

:D :cool: c/o 2017 :cool: :D