Nursing student w/ med school aspirations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indiana Erin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, first post! I'm a 22-year-old student currently one year away from completing an associate of science in nursing degree at a community college. Once I'm done I'll be able to take the RN boards.

I've enjoyed nursing school so far, but I'm finding myself more and more drawn to the world of medicine. I LOVED my pharmacology class and was one of the only people in the class to get an 'A.' After doing a lot of thinking, I've decided to try and pursue medical school as opposed to, say, becoming an advanced practice nurse.

The reason I don't just drop out of nursing school now and start taking pre-reqs for med school is because I have a family - a husband and a two-year-old son - and I need a career, even a temporary one. And I'm still really looking forward to working as an RN. Even if I do get into med school I plan on working as an RN throughout my studies... At the very least while I complete my pre-req undergrad classes.

Rather than complete a BSN program [bachelor's of science in nursing], I think I'm going to enroll in pharmaceutical science [BSPS] program at Purdue University. Purdue's website claims that it's a good program for students who want to matriculate into med school. I'd love to stay in Indiana and attend the IU School of Medicine, but we'll see.

Anyway... Does my plan make any sense at all? Should I even bother pursuing this goal? Do medical students have any preconceptions or prejudices about nurses applying to the program, or well my health care experience be an asset? I feel like I'm still young enough that this is worth a shot! :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Umm, I guess to me, no your plan doesn't make sense. The BSN conversion is going to utilize far more of your coursework than switching tracks entirely, and you can make a decent amount of money as a BSN. Once you have the BSN, and have taken the required med school prereqs (which will not fall into your BSN), you can apply to med school... Additionally, you will NOT be working as an RN while in Med school, I am not certain this is your plan, but you say "Even if I do get into med school I plan on working as an RN throughout my studies..." which implies you are intending to work in med school... that will not likely happen... Med school is a full-time job in itself, for every hour of class time you will have 2-4 hours of study time. Either way, best of luck in your pursuits, and keep a high GPA, it's far easier to get in...

eh, just to throw this out there you can work during medical school if you want. The amount you can work depends on yourself. I work every other weekend (16 hours) and am doing just fine. Granted, I do not have a child, which would further complicate things and make it more difficult to spend that extra time away from home.

I agree with above though in regards to doing the bsn + prereqs. It'd be faster and cheaper.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just like you. an RN with the same dream, chased it, and now an EM resident. click on my posts, should be plenty info on regarding RN--->medicine . feel free to PM.

Thank you.

The reason that I'm leaning towards the BSPS instead of BSN is because I have more of an interest in the course material, period. I also want to stay in my hometown for now and Purdue doesn't have a RN->BSN track. Most BSN programs don't include the years of hard science that medical school requires.

Hi, first post! I'm a 22-year-old student currently one year away from completing an associate of science in nursing degree at a community college. Once I'm done I'll be able to take the RN boards.

I've enjoyed nursing school so far, but I'm finding myself more and more drawn to the world of medicine. I LOVED my pharmacology class and was one of the only people in the class to get an 'A.' After doing a lot of thinking, I've decided to try and pursue medical school as opposed to, say, becoming an advanced practice nurse.

The reason I don't just drop out of nursing school now and start taking pre-reqs for med school is because I have a family - a husband and a two-year-old son - and I need a career, even a temporary one. And I'm still really looking forward to working as an RN. Even if I do get into med school I plan on working as an RN throughout my studies... At the very least while I complete my pre-req undergrad classes.

Rather than complete a BSN program [bachelor's of science in nursing], I think I'm going to enroll in pharmaceutical science [BSPS] program at Purdue University. Purdue's website claims that it's a good program for students who want to matriculate into med school. I'd love to stay in Indiana and attend the IU School of Medicine, but we'll see.

Anyway... Does my plan make any sense at all? Should I even bother pursuing this goal? Do medical students have any preconceptions or prejudices about nurses applying to the program, or well my health care experience be an asset? I feel like I'm still young enough that this is worth a shot! :xf:

I was set to begin my clinicals for my AS-RN in January, but then talked to the pre-med advisor at my school, the local university, and FSUcom and all three advised against going the RN route for me. They were pretty clear that I would be less competitive from that background unless I worked in the field for some time as it would show a lack of commitment. Though I already knocked out AP1/2, Micro, Nutrition, Human Growth, and all of the other necessary pre-clinical classes for my college it wasn't a big deal to change gears. I would definitely recommend talking with an advisor before moving in a specific direction just to be sure. Just my own experience.

Last edited:
medicine is a perfect field away from nursing. If you are doing nursing go for it,and if you are considering medicine go for it in right manner not complicating things....Nursing with medicine? No baby you shouldn't take other people's chances that should have been admitted into the nursing program when you know you are going for medicine.....Besides you wont have chance to do research,and concentrate on the premed classes. You wont have time to even take social sciences and humanities allot. Med school need someone who is well rounded..good luck : p

Thank you.

The reason that I'm leaning towards the BSPS instead of BSN is because I have more of an interest in the course material, period. I also want to stay in my hometown for now and Purdue doesn't have a RN->BSN track. Most BSN programs don't include the years of hard science that medical school requires.
ALL BSN's don't have the hard science....I had to go back 3 more years for pre med to get the sciences.

You seem somewhat unfocused at this point, which is going to work against you if you want to pursue medical school. I see nothing wrong with RN > MD but you need to dedicate yourself to that goal starting today. While the possibility of working through med school exists, it should be an afterthought once you have established yourself and gauged your study schedule, not an expectation. Med school will cost tens of thousands of dollars each year. You will need to plan ahead regarding family and income.

I graduated nursing school and worked as a nurse for one year, then decided to enroll in a post-bacc program to take my pre-reqs for med school. If you do decide to pursue medicine, I have one piece of advice to give you. I would begin shaping your application for med school as soon as possible. During nursing school, my focus was entirely on nursing. Now that I'm applying to med school, I don't have much to show in terms of extracurriculars that shows my dedication to medicine (for example, I have no formal research experience, not a lot of shadowing, ect.) With whatever free time you do have right now, I would begin volunteering and stay with that organization for as long as you can. Continuous involvement looks really good on apps. If you don't volunteer, get involved in some type of research or begin shadowing. If you begin all of this early on, if will show more of an interest and dedication to medicine.

I don't think that you should switch into another program. there are enough online RN to BSN programs that you can take so that you have a bachelors degree. the key is to not look like you are unreliable and unsure of what you want to do (as someone above stated).
I am a nurse and also a 3rd year medical student. i'm actually writing this post at an ER where i am currently doing a per diem shift as an RN so it definitely does help to have the background.
someone above said that a nursing degree will hurt you if you don't have enough time in the field. i know many many RNs who (like me) had 3 or less years of experience upon entering medical school (one didn't even work as a nurse) yet had no problems. get good grades, do well on your mcat, and interview well and you will get in. there are too many people with non-biology bachelor degrees for me to believe that any pre-medical degree can hurt you. good luck!

i know many many RNs who (like me) had 3 or less years of experience upon entering medical school (one didn't even work as a nurse) yet had no problems.

I hear that some ad comm's look unfavorably to nurses who switch to medicine for various reasons. Did you or any of the nurses you were referring to have a difficult time during interviews?
I'm really nervous about encountering hostile interviewers because of this!

I hear that some ad comm's look unfavorably to nurses who switch to medicine for various reasons. Did you or any of the nurses you were referring to have a difficult time during interviews?
I'm really nervous about encountering hostile interviewers because of this!
I heard that on the trail 5 yrs ago but I think it's due to not having a good answer to "why did you decide to switch". otherwise it shouldn't be a problem.

medicine is a perfect field away from nursing. If you are doing nursing go for it,and if you are considering medicine go for it in right manner not complicating things....Nursing with medicine? No baby you shouldn't take other people's chances that should have been admitted into the nursing program when you know you are going for medicine.....Besides you wont have chance to do research,and concentrate on the premed classes. You wont have time to even take social sciences and humanities allot. Med school need someone who is well rounded..good luck : p
You just have to look for opportunities to do research. As an undergraduate nursing student I did 3 years of molecular genetics research for organisms in the kingdom archea, in the chem department. I did have to go to summer school every year to get my pre-reqs done, but by doing this it shows drive. In the end I almost had a biology and chemistry minor with a BSN. Just think of all the psychology majors that don't become psychologists or sociology majors that arn't sociologists. It all depends on the school you are applying to on what they want. Some schools look favorably on students who only have focus on one thing, medicine. Others want more diverse backgrounds in their class. As for me, I wanted to do more research so I am finishing up my MS in physiology. I know that some schools want look at me for the path I have taken, but others will recognize I have thousand of hours more clinical experience than other entering med students and I have proven myself in graduate school at a research university. Best of luck.