Nursing to Bio Major Has lots of questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emergencygirlm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a nursing major for my first year of college. Some of the classes I took were anatomy 1 and 2, Microbiology and pharmacology. And I did great in all of my classes. I ended the year with around a 3.3GPA. How ever I found the nursing profession not to cover what I actually was interested in, which is emergency medicine. So I switched to a biology major on the pre-medicine track, with the hopes to get into a DO/MD school. This is my first semester as a bio major and I have a 3.9 GPA (for this semester, not overall), and I am thriving in my classes. I am also the Chief of Operations at my schools volunteer EMT org and I volunteer teaching under privileged students as well.

What do you think my chances are to get into PCOM (a DO school) or an MD School. What do medical schools think of people who have a lot of leadership in EMT organizations? What do they think of nursing majors switched to pre-med?

Any advice on how to make myself more appealing would be stellar!! Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt they could care less you started as a nursing major.
Leadership in organizations is a good thing but one EMT thing won't be enough. Volunteering with kids is also good, if you can get some clinical volunteering in there too.
Also as far as nursing not covering what you're interested in you can totally graduate and be an ER nurse if that's all you're interested in. Many people go into med school gunning for one thing and switch.
Best I can say is keep your GPA up, the 3.9 is good the 3.3 really isn't great but it was your first year and will no way kill your app. If you want MD try to stay at 3.5+.
It's hard to comment on your chance for MD or a specific DO school without an MCAT score, extracurriculars, shadowing, volunteer work, and all that fun stuff that makes you a complete package compared to just some grades.
Good luck!

Good stuff! Seems like you're on a great track towards becoming an excellent medical school applicant.

My only advice would be to keep up what you're doing and consider expanding your extracurricular activities/shadowing/volunteer/work experience/research. Medical school likes well-rounded individuals. ;)
Join a soccer club, shadow a psychiatrist, ask a professor about assisting with their research, go on a medical trip to a foreign country, etc. But always, genuinely enjoy what you're doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an ER NURSE, and I attend PCOM, in their Biomed program. PM me with specifics I'll help you out!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You still have quite a bit of time left in front of you, keep at it and get your grades up. Work hard, never let yourself believe that you cannot understand something, practice and MAKE yourself understand the material. Advanced understanding will make your MCAT studying so so much easier, also it does not get any easier in medical school.

Get leadership experience. How do you do this? Do not mince words about what you want and what your ultimate goals are. Work hard in your organizations, NEVER say no when presented with an opportunity or task. They need you to mop? Do it. Get coffee? Do it. This attitude will make it easier when you run or ask for leadership opportunities. In fact, this attitude usually makes people want to GIVE you leadership opportunities.

Good luck.