Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

nursing to DO

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by peripatetic, Nov 3, 1999.

1. peripatetic

peripatetic New Member

Greetings from AA michigan!
    I am a 2nd year undergrad thinking of transferring to Nursing.

To those experienced--is a nursing degree an asset to a DO application or a detraction...would if be better just to major in Bio or Psych or something instead?

thanks for your help

2. tonem

tonem Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

This is hearsay...but from what I have heard in the past...medical schools don't recognize the science courses required by the allied health professions as vigorous enough to meet the premed requirements. I think the benefit of nursing in an application to medical school is the extensive clinical experience and the intimate understanding of the good/bad of medicine. If you want to be a doctor you should stick to a science major if you enjoy science. If science isn't your favorite subject, major in something you are interested in and take the premed requisites on the side.

3. peripatetic

peripatetic New Member

in response: does this still apply if the chem/organic/physics/bio are done IN ADDITION to the Nursing curriculum??

thanks!

4. 8404

8404 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

As long as you meet those science course prereq's (as they are listed at any of the med school's admissions websites) then a BSN is probably a great major. However, I would question your motivation for choosing that degree. If you know you want to be a physician, then why not major in a science that will give you a nice overview of the technical world that you are going to get yourself into. Yes, the clinical experience is nice. But, to go into nursing just to get it is a disservice to you if you are just going to turn around and apply to medical school. Pick up all the science you can in undergrad. You WILL DEFINITELY see it again in med school!

8404 (TUCOM 2003)

5. Smile

Smile Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i agree. i think that a nursing degree will actually be a detriment unless you plan on working as a nurse for some time. they will no doubt question why you chose a nursing major and then applied straight to medical school. it seems kind of odd. plus, as far as clinical experience is concerned, you will not get enough experience in your student years in the nursing program to impress the admissions committees. but if you choose to work as a nurse for a couple of years and THEN apply to medical schools, you will have tremendous patient care experience and will get the opportunity to see health care first-hand and work directly w/ physicians. if not, i would suggest taking a science route for a major. that way you can take more courses related to medical school and have the chance to show the committees that you are capable as a student if you do well in them. i am offering my suggestions coming as a physical therapist who is applying to medical schools.

6. peripatetic

peripatetic New Member

Ok...I hear where you are coming from--however, are med schools interested in having better "students" or better potential "health care providers."

To me, it seems that in a "bio-based" (or other science) undergrad, one has gained expertise in how to learn bio and do lab work. In nursing, a BSN provides skill in course work (anat/phys, pharm, patho, biochem etc) as well as skill in patient relations, and holistic thinking.

what do you think?

7. krazymack

krazymack Junior Member

I think the responses posted on this message board concerning "peripatetic" situation are all very smart, well thought of and excellent answers.

However, In my personal opinion, I say choose whatever major you desire. I would think that medical schools would be more concerned that you are interested and passionate about the field that you are majoring in. I have known Nursing majors who are pre-med. As well as people in the allied health professions such as Medical Technology or Physician Assistant programs who want to pursue medicine. I highly believe that there is no set route to apply to medical school. Besides majoring in Nursing will make you employable in the case where you may not get in medical school the first time around. You would be able to work in a medical environment thereby showing medical schools that you are confortable working in that arena. I believe if being a doctor is what you want eventually and you persevere in applying to medical schools you'll eventually get in! So I say go and major in what you like and take the pre-med prereqs enjoy your college experience. I hope that this helps.

Krazymack

P.S. This is solely just my opinion...i'm not trying to be influential...just trying to help a little. [​IMG]

8. 8404

8404 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Good point. And dont forget that many med school classes(if not all)have folks who were non-science majors(literature, english, diesel mechanics!) etc.....that majored in what floated their boat and did the prereq science courses. So, it probably doesnt matter what you major in. However, just keep in the back of your mind what the statistics show us as far as what types of majors make up each entering class(you can dig around at some websites or premed offices, etc..and usually find out that X entering class had Y micro majors and Z bio majors etc...). I think you will find all kinds of majors, but you will also find the majority of the majors that the admissions committees have chosen are from the sciences. Really, does not the whole admissions "game" rely heavily on statistics anyway??

Thoughts?????

9. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Peripatetic,

You can major in basket weaving for all they care, as long as you take the med school prereqs. In fact, the word on the street is that they like to see variety (yet another theory without facts to back it so take it with a grain of salt) in their applicants. It's the spice of life. When you get thousands of applicants every year and its just bio major after bio major (or chem, biochem) that Art major (or nursing etc..) really stands out. After all, isn't medicine an art form?

Anyways, if you have a DO school in mind that you would like to go to, then call them and ask! The admissions offices of most (if not all) of the schools are more than willing to arrange a meeting with you. They'll give you the facts.

------------------
    DocGibby
    MSUCOM class of 2004

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited 11-05-1999).]