Nursing to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hakujintensei

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am currently a senior in a BSN program. i have another 2 semesters after this current fall one until i finish nursing school. my main plan was to finish up, get a job, and as i work i will also get my MCAT requirements at a university (not seeking a second degree). My overall goal was to be a trauma surgeon from the very start but the reason i chose nursing first was because i wanted to see how the hospital worked,to actually witness surgery before i went to med school, and also interact with patients before my residency so i didn't turn out to be a deer in headlights when i actually got there. now i know that as a nursing student i took a spot from someone who wanted to be a nurse and its going to affect my chances on some level. so to get to the point i would like to know how much nursing school will effect my chances, and does my GPA from nursing school or my GPA from the science classes leading up to the MCATs count more on my application. because to be honest nursing is not my passion and i find my self often times pushing my self to study. its more of a means to an end as i also have financial issues and plan on saving for a few years before actually making the jump into medical school. any help is much appreciated thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

i am currently a senior in a BSN program. i have another 2 semesters after this current fall one until i finish nursing school. my main plan was to finish up, get a job, and as i work i will also get my MCAT requirements at a university (not seeking a second degree). My overall goal was to be a trauma surgeon from the very start but the reason i chose nursing first was because i wanted to see how the hospital worked,to actually witness surgery before i went to med school, and also interact with patients before my residency so i didn't turn out to be a deer in headlights when i actually got there. now i know that as a nursing student i took a spot from someone who wanted to be a nurse and its going to affect my chances on some level. so to get to the point i would like to know how much nursing school will effect my chances, and does my GPA from nursing school or my GPA from the science classes leading up to the MCATs count more on my application. because to be honest nursing is not my passion and i find my self often times pushing my self to study. its more of a means to an end as i also have financial issues and plan on saving for a few years before actually making the jump into medical school. any help is much appreciated thanks in advance.

wow... who the hell gave you that advice, to be a nurse?

wow... who the hell gave you that advice, to be a nurse?

Good point.

OP, the adcoms will not look favorably by this transition. You can still try, but you would need to justify your actions during the interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see why it would be that big of a deal... If you get good grades and score well on the MCAT. To explain I'd just say that through your experience, a career as a physician will better suit you.

long story short my senior year of high school my sister passed away from cancer and it drained my parents financially, so i chose my school based on who gave me more money resulting in a really good nursing school with not so good biology/chemistry departments. regardless im in the situation im in and i still have the same overall goal. time is not a factor to me, and i can get my science requirements after i graduate im just wondering about my chances being affected by being a nurse when applying to medical school.

Well, you can't undo it so whether its looked upon favorably or not if you want to be a doctor it will be the same process as everyone else. Do as good as possible in all your classes, all the grades count to your GPA. Study your butt off for the MCAT, apply early etc etc. If possible, when you get done with nursing school and get a job don't do something like buy a new car or get a mortgage, instead pay down your student loans while taking your pre reqs so that when you apply to medical school you have as little amount of debt as possible. Guard your finances so you don't get trapped into having more bills than you need to and have to start picking up extra shifts instead of taking your classes, or thinking that you don't want to give up your comfortable lifestyle to go back to school as a broke medical student, so you give up on your dream altogether. Then, figure out the exact answer to "why medicine, not nursing" and you will have a good shot. I think your biggest threat right now is getting too used to making money as a nurse, start spending all your money, and then decide that you cant give it up to go back to school and be a broke medical student for a few years. In the end though, what do i know.

you can do it!!! Good luck!

Well, you can't undo it so whether its looked upon favorably or not if you want to be a doctor it will be the same process as everyone else. Do as good as possible in all your classes, all the grades count to your GPA. Study your butt off for the MCAT, apply early etc etc. If possible, when you get done with nursing school and get a job don't do something like buy a new car or get a mortgage, instead pay down your student loans while taking your pre reqs so that when you apply to medical school you have as little amount of debt as possible. Guard your finances so you don't get trapped into having more bills than you need to and have to start picking up extra shifts instead of taking your classes, or thinking that you don't want to give up your comfortable lifestyle to go back to school as a broke medical student, so you give up on your dream altogether. Then, figure out the exact answer to "why medicine, not nursing" and you will have a good shot. I think your biggest threat right now is getting too used to making money as a nurse, start spending all your money, and then decide that you cant give it up to go back to school and be a broke medical student for a few years. In the end though, what do i know.

you can do it!!! Good luck!
thanks Ashley, i plan on working nights as a nurse maybe 3 days a week which if i put most of it away i can pay down my college debt, and still take classes. being a surgeon is the only thing ive ever wanted to be in my life and most days its the only thing that keeps me going through school at the moment. as long as i am paying down my debt when i get out of college ill be happy. I had no intention of getting into medicine for the money in the first place its more of i wanted to save lives every day when i went to work. on a side note i am well aware i cant work when im in medical school. as all of my time will be dedicated to hitting the books :D

Hello :)

Your situation hits home to me. I didn't loose love ones, but my family faced lots of financial hardship the year before college. I needed to step up to the plate and be a breadwinner for the family so I decided to go into nursing first and worked during undergrad (which I still am) and support my family at the same time. Nursing is nice because I was able to make enough to break-even and was able to work short amount of hours in order to dedicate to my studies.

Don't ever feel like you took a spot from someone who could've been a nurse. society will do just fine with one less nurse. Nurses from programs all over the country churns out every year.

Do what you gotta do, and I would just present it to adcom as it is. And if they don't look favorable toward the fact that you and I was a nurse in the beginning because we had to support our family, than that's a shame. I'm sure at least one school out there will see our dedication and hard work :)

long story short my senior year of high school my sister passed away from cancer and it drained my parents financially, so i chose my school based on who gave me more money resulting in a really good nursing school with not so good biology/chemistry departments. regardless im in the situation im in and i still have the same overall goal. time is not a factor to me, and i can get my science requirements after i graduate im just wondering about my chances being affected by being a nurse when applying to medical school.

Wow. I am very sorry to hear that. It is indeed a deep personal tragic event, but I admire your resilience to move forward with determination. I greatly wish you success in your future endeavors.

I didn't mean to question your goals, but I am simply pointing out that you might be in a disadvantage since you're switching from one health career to another, and you might be questioned by the adcoms during the interview. As others mentioned, do well on pre-reqs, MCAT, extracurriculars, research, volunteering etc. and you're good to go. But, I'm letting you know ahead of time to be prepared with questions asking you the reason you changed the career.

Wow. I am very sorry to hear that. It is indeed a deep personal tragic event, but I admire your resilience to move forward with determination. I greatly wish you success in your future endeavors.

I didn't mean to question your goals, but I am simply pointing out that you might be in a disadvantage since you're switching from one health career to another, and you might be questioned by the adcoms during the interview. As others mentioned, do well on pre-reqs, MCAT, extracurriculars, research, volunteering etc. and you're good to go. But, I'm letting you know ahead of time to be prepared with questions asking you the reason you changed the career.

This.

You're going to have to answer the question "Why medicine instead of nursing?" You're jumping from one field in healthcare to another, so you're going to have to be more deep with your answer. What does medicine provide that you didn't find in nursing? You're already in healthcare. This distinction is important.

Make sure your grades and MCAT are high. Many adcoms view nursing science courses as less rigorous than the standard traditional prereq classes, so you don't have a lot of room for screw ups.

Good luck with everything. :)

I don't think the adcoms will honestly care, but it is a pretty dick move. There are so few nurse spots, and other people who want to be nurses for life that you are taking those spots from.

I considered doing that, and decided the above was true. Why become a nurse when I want to be a doctor? Sounds like a waste of time and money to me.

I'm not sure what the big deal is with going to nursing school. I don't know why but if I worked hard to get into nursing school just like all of the other students, studied my butt off and passed the NCLEX then why is it such a big deal to choose that major? Just because I chose nursing for undergrad and then wanted to become a doctor doesn't make me want it any less than the next nursing student. If we're going to major in something it might as well be in something that can at least provide a job. Good luck with your degrees in Biology/ Biochemistry. What if we don't get into med school the first cycle or the third? How many of us will be looking into post bac programs or grad school, etc because your Bach degree alone couldn't get you employment anywhere?

Another thing, nursing school shouldn't be considered less rigorous than any other major. So you're saying that majoring in English is harder? Clearly you've never been to nursing school or have even seen the material they are required to learn. Besides nursing students still have to take the same pre reqs as any other major in order to apply to med school. There is still General Bio, Physics, Organic Chemistry, etc. If anything it's way harder than any other major because you have nursing classes on top of insane sciences.

*deep breath* Clearly this subject has ruffled my feathers.

My contribution to the thread: I'm sure if you keep up your GPA, do well in your pre reqs, and score well on the MCAT, you'll be fine. Don't forget those things like ECs and shadowing and the like. If you're going to work as a nurse then clinical experience isn't necessary. And there will be so many things that you will get to experience as a nurse that you will never be able to experience doing anything else, not even as a CNA/ PCT.

I'm not sure what the big deal is with going to nursing school. I don't know why but if I worked hard to get into nursing school just like all of the other students, studied my butt off and passed the NCLEX then why is it such a big deal to choose that major? Just because I chose nursing for undergrad and then wanted to become a doctor doesn't make me want it any less than the next nursing student. If we're going to major in something it might as well be in something that can at least provide a job. Good luck with your degrees in Biology/ Biochemistry. What if we don't get into med school the first cycle or the third? How many of us will be looking into post bac programs or grad school, etc because your Bach degree alone couldn't get you employment anywhere?

Another thing, nursing school shouldn't be considered less rigorous than any other major. So you're saying that majoring in English is harder? Clearly you've never been to nursing school or have even seen the material they are required to learn. Besides nursing students still have to take the same pre reqs as any other major in order to apply to med school. There is still General Bio, Physics, Organic Chemistry, etc. If anything it's way harder than any other major because you have nursing classes on top of insane sciences.

*deep breath* Clearly this subject has ruffled my feathers.

My contribution to the thread: I'm sure if you keep up your GPA, do well in your pre reqs, and score well on the MCAT, you'll be fine. Don't forget those things like ECs and shadowing and the like. If you're going to work as a nurse then clinical experience isn't necessary. And there will be so many things that you will get to experience as a nurse that you will never be able to experience doing anything else, not even as a CNA/ PCT.

First, Nursing is a vocational major. You do not choose a Nursing major if you do not want to be a nurse. The courses are designed for nurses. The prereq science courses are seen as less rigorous by some adcoms because of that. Nothing we can do to change that.

Second, sure it's good to have a back up plan, but to already be in the process of becoming a nurse is like having one foot out the door. Are you truly committed if you're already finishing a back up plan?

I've been to adcom presentations where they basically tell us that, the moment they see a nursing major, it goes in the trash. I'm sure that might have changed because there isn't a huge nursing shortage now.

It's not that the OP will necessarily be at a disadvantage, but s/he must play the game more carefully if s/he wishes to succeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think the adcoms will honestly care, but it is a pretty dick move. There are so few nurse spots, and other people who want to be nurses for life that you are taking those spots from.

I considered doing that, and decided the above was true. Why become a nurse when I want to be a doctor? Sounds like a waste of time and money to me.
to be honest my school is pretty rigorous in terms of nursing. im in my senior year and 60% of my class has dropped out or switched majors because it was so bad and its only getting worse. i feel like the spot argument is null because sure they wanted a spot, but would they be able to keep it once they got it. and if they were denied a spot because i took it the answer is prob not.

to be honest my school is pretty rigorous in terms of nursing. im in my senior year and 60% of my class has dropped out or switched majors because it was so bad and its only getting worse. i feel like the spot argument is null because sure they wanted a spot, but would they be able to keep it once they got it. and if they were denied a spot because i took it the answer is prob not.

Hmm what courses do nurses have to take?

And I had such high hopes that this thread wouldn't go down the path to nurse bashing...

Be warned, OP, it is not easy to find a nursing job as a new grad. Good luck trying to find one that lets you work part-time flexible hours. Definitely don't mention your plans to go to med school. IMO, you'll be wasting a precious new grad spot that could go to someone who actually wants to be a nurse.

I'm sure if you keep up your GPA, do well in your pre reqs, and score well on the MCAT, you'll be fine. Don't forget those things like ECs and shadowing and the like. If you're going to work as a nurse then clinical experience isn't necessary. And there will be so many things that you will get to experience as a nurse that you will never be able to experience doing anything else, not even as a CNA/ PCT.

Successful nurse applicant here. I know several others who have gone this route. Some schools will look down on your nursing classes since they are at a different level in terms of hard science. On the other hand, if you work as a nurse you will have much more clinical exposure than other applicants.

You must:
- Take a rigorous science/pre-med schedule at some point and you must ace these classes. (Nursing versions of chem, bio, pharm, etc don't count for this.)
- Ace the MCAT, esp BS and PS.
- Shadow multiple MDs so you're clear on the difference in roles.
- Hard science research will also help (ie not clinical or translational).
- Have letters from MDs and science profs in addition to nursing.
- Be able to clearly explain why you went to nursing school. (ie. Family finances)
- Be able to clearly explain why you now are a fit for medical school. (ie. Nurses can't be surgeons.)

If you do these things in addition to nursing, I think your clinical experience is a big plus. It just doesn't substitute for the other pieces of your application. Feel free to PM if you're applying and have more questions.

I actually considered going this route....looking back, I'm glad I didn't. For those that have, there are some definite benefits (more clinical experience/knowledge going into medical school, good job after graduation) and some definite negatives (increased time in school, financial hole, stigma, etc).

OP, when you are addressing this issue in your application, I would definitely focus on how circumstantial events (i.e. your sister's death, family's finances, etc) drove you down this path, but that this really isn't what you were "meant" to do (maybe find a little less cheesier way to say that). I would not say that you just wanted to go to nursing school for the heck of it...adcoms might not look so favorably upon that. Good luck.

First, Nursing is a vocational major. You do not choose a Nursing major if you do not want to be a nurse. The courses are designed for nurses. The prereq science courses are seen as less rigorous by some adcoms because of that. Nothing we can do to change that.

Second, sure it's good to have a back up plan, but to already be in the process of becoming a nurse is like having one foot out the door. Are you truly committed if you're already finishing a back up plan?

I've been to adcom presentations where they basically tell us that, the moment they see a nursing major, it goes in the trash. I'm sure that might have changed because there isn't a huge nursing shortage now.

It's not that the OP will necessarily be at a disadvantage, but s/he must play the game more carefully if s/he wishes to succeed.

Similar outlook can be said about the science majors. "Wait, you're going into Biology and you want to be a doctor? Why didn't you choose to become a biologist?"

With so many alternative in education, it's silly to throw away a competitive/strong applicant due to the fact that they were a nurse before med school.

I don't understand why nurses gets held to these ridiculous standard. I'm pretty sure they won't scrutinize someone who was an engineer or business.

I'm sorry we don't have mommy and daddy pay for our education and live life lavishly while going to school. Some of us have to put big boy or big girl pants on and make decisions according to what life throws at them.

I'm not saying ADCOM should feel bad for us folks, I'm saying they should judge us on the same criteria.

After some thinking, I take back part of what I said. They may question you on this 'spot-taking,' however I realized you that came to a realization of wanting to be a doctor while in nursing school.

I would finish, show them that you're not a quitter, and then do some post-grad and apply for med school. It would only be a bad move if you had decided before you got into nursing school and used it as a stepping stone before you went.

After some thinking, I take back part of what I said. They may question you on this 'spot-taking,' however I realized you that came to a realization of wanting to be a doctor while in nursing school.

I would finish, show them that you're not a quitter, and then do some post-grad and apply for med school. It would only be a bad move if you had decided before you got into nursing school and used it as a stepping stone before you went.

but thats pretty much what i did everything i did including switching my major from biology to nursing was planned. i would have gotten through college with no way to pay off my loans, get a job, or pay for grad school without ending up in severe debt at some point. i understand that nursing science classes do not meet medical requirements and they shouldn't. im still going to take my chem, organic chem, bio, and physics as a post grad but im also going to work per diem in a hospital as i take them. when i took nursing chem my professor asked me to switch my major to chem and to be his lab assistant but i couldn't due to the finances. the nursing science classes aren't bad in terms of the micro bio, chemistry, etc. the harder classes are the actual nursing classes for the career like pharmacology, OB/Peds, med surge, etc...

but thats pretty much what i did everything i did including switching my major from biology to nursing was planned. i would have gotten through college with no way to pay off my loans, get a job, or pay for grad school without ending up in severe debt at some point. i understand that nursing science classes do not meet medical requirements and they shouldn't. im still going to take my chem, organic chem, bio, and physics as a post grad but im also going to work per diem in a hospital as i take them. when i took nursing chem my professor asked me to switch my major to chem and to be his lab assistant but i couldn't due to the finances. the nursing science classes aren't bad in terms of the micro bio, chemistry, etc. the harder classes are the actual nursing classes for the career like pharmacology, OB/Peds, med surge, etc...

I see. Well, just do what you want. I know plenty of doctors who used to be nurses. Are you going to work a year before you do post-grad prereqs? It might help show them that you experienced it and decided that you really did want to go on to something better/higher, and it will give you some real life clinical experience that will be good on your app too.

I see. Well, just do what you want. I know plenty of doctors who used to be nurses. Are you going to work a year before you do post-grad prereqs? It might help show them that you experienced it and decided that you really did want to go on to something better/higher, and it will give you some real life clinical experience that will be good on your app too.

i was planning to work for at least 6 months and contribute 85% of my income to pay down my college debts. then ill cut my hours back so i can do my pre reqs. my main concern is still someone throwing out my application based on he was a nurse that wants to be a doctor. and i know people have done it before but the stigma still scares me to death.

i was planning to work for at least 6 months and contribute 85% of my income to pay down my college debts. then ill cut my hours back so i can do my pre reqs. my main concern is still someone throwing out my application based on he was a nurse that wants to be a doctor. and i know people have done it before but the stigma still scares me to death.

Don't worry about that. You have far too many things to worry about as is. Keep in mind that you working will significantly increase your EFC (estimated family contribution), lowering your financial aid, so save as much money from working as you can.

Don't let being a nurse take away from becoming a doctor

As Owlie said, don't let it take away your chance at being a doctor. If one person throws your app in the trash, you wouldn't want to be there anyways. You're so much more than just one thing whether its a nurse or some other job title, and you want to be at a place that recognizes that. I know nurses that have become great doctors, and at the end of the day if you want it badly enough and work your fanny off just like the rest of us, you will be fine :)

As Owlie said, don't let it take away your chance at being a doctor. If one person throws your app in the trash, you wouldn't want to be there anyways. You're so much more than just one thing whether its a nurse or some other job title, and you want to be at a place that recognizes that. I know nurses that have become great doctors, and at the end of the day if you want it badly enough and work your fanny off just like the rest of us, you will be fine :)

:thumbup:

thanks for all the input in about 3-5 years depending on circumstances i plan to be matriculated :D see you all on the other side.