Nursing undergraduate to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kLPantera

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently a nursing freshman student at Drexel University. I am wondering if anyone knows how to convert their quarter courses to semesters. Is it simply a year of a specific type I.E orgo chem, gen chem, bio, physics?

Also I am wondering if anyone may have some tips for me?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For schools operating under the quarter system, you'll need to complete 3 quarters lecture + 3 quarters lab to be equivalent to 2 semesters lecture and 2 semesters lab. If you want to become a doctor, you need to change majors. Nursing is not a major that's favorable for admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah,I just assumed she was switching majors but see now that she didn't specifically say that.

No one said I'm a she........................

Why is nursing "not" a favorable major for admission? A doctor I interned with said this, but he made it clear his view is biased.

My intention has always been medical school, I figured going to nursing school would be better for me because I have more interest in it than other "pre-med majors."

My decision to attend nursing school also acts like a safety net. If I am not accepted into medical school, then I can pursue becoming a nurse anesthetist. If that does not work, then I will pursue a higher degree in nursing.

No one said I'm a she.........................
You're a she, regardless. I'm kidding! Don't kill me.

The reason it's not looked at favorable is for the exact reason you're doing it: it's a backup degree. This wouldn't be a problem if you weren't taking a spot from someone that actually wants to be a nurse in a time when there's a health care crisis.

Actually I remember reading somewhere that like half of nurse anesthetists are men so theres a good chance OP is a guy.

Good point. The prerequisites squeezed in around the nursing training draw attention to this back up plan as well.

This post has me questioning something.....I have no interest whatsoever in nursing. I mean, I can think of several majors I find boring that I'd do before nursing. What does this mean considering that I want to be a doctor?! Granted I'm interested in radiology but still.....
What it means is that you want to be a doctor and not a nurse. Don't read too much into it. The job of a nurse, even if it's in the same health care setting, is different in many ways to that of a physician. A doctor is there to diagnose, treat, and educate. A nurse is there to comfort and to assist in the minute-to-minute details of treatment (bring food to the patient, give them their medication at the right time interval, help with moving and cleanliness, etc.).

What it means is that you want to be a doctor and not a nurse. Don't read too much into it. The job of a nurse, even if it's in the same health care setting, is different in many ways to that of a physician. A doctor is there to diagnose, treat, and educate. A nurse is there to comfort and to assist in the minute-to-minute details of treatment (bring food to the patient, give them their medication at the right time interval, help with moving and cleanliness, etc.).

You seem to be describing the duties of a nurse's aide (CNA) not a nurse.

At my hospital if you asked an RN with three years post secondary education and making $70K a year to fetch a patient some food, they would laugh in your face.

Last edited:

At my hospital if you asked an RN with three years post secondary education and making $70K a year to fetch a patient some food, they would laugh in your face.
The times I've had family members in the hospital, this has been all they've done. What I've seen in the emergency room volunteering, pretty much the same. They can laugh at my face if they wish to. Doesn't phase me.

Last edited:
Through co-op I'll have 1.5 years of nursing experience upon graduation. During those co-ops I can also take the courses I'll need to take and during the school year. I'm in a 5 year co-op program to give me some more time to do what I need to do.

It's not a year and a half time. I have 4 more years to do this, 1.5 years is simply the amount of nursing experience I'll get during those 4 years.

Let me weigh in here. Not that I'm at all an expert, but I am an RN who is now working on premed undergrad. I have my associates in nursing and have been a nurse for 12 years. I am working toward a bachelors in biochemistry. Yes, it would be quicker for me to just go through the RN-BSN transition and take prereqs along with it, but I feel like the adcoms would look at that and think that I wasn't sure whether I wanted to be a doctor or a nurse. May be different for you, but, as an experienced nurse, i felt like it would show that this is what I want and not just medical identity confusion.

A few responses to other comments on this thread: first of all nurses do more than just passing trays, meds and such, but yes most of us will fetch food, drink, wipe butts, whatever we need to do to ensure our patients are being cared for.

Also, not sure how your co-op would be set up, but if it's hours similar to a full time nurse, mostly that's a 12 hour shift 3x a week, and it is very doable. I go to class MW and work TRF, and I am taking 2 lab courses and another non lab course and 4.0 in all of them.

I'm a nurse that is starting medical school at University of Michigan in August. You can do it if you really set your mind to it. Don't let people tell you otherwise. You need to be a very good student and dedicated. You will face a lot of adversity since people in the nursing profession may think you are betraying them and pre-meds think you are a joke. Stand your ground. I was a pre-med student who was a nursing major. I took the "hard" sciences at the same time as my nursing courses. I felt that ADCOMS took me more seriously. My university allowed me to take upper level human anatomy and physio instead of the nursing version. Stuff like that helped. The clinical rotations were a gimme. No one asked how I knew I wanted to be a physician because I had already spent hours in hospitals. Just keep pushing. If you have any questions, let me know.

btw....specialized health sciences may have the lowest acceptance rate....but some of those people do get in. Just work hard to make sure it is you. ;)

I'm a nurse that is starting medical school at University of Michigan in August. You can do it if you really set your mind to it. Don't let people tell you otherwise. You need to be a very good student and dedicated. You will face a lot of adversity since people in the nursing profession may think you are betraying them and pre-meds think you are a joke. Stand your ground. I was a pre-med student who was a nursing major. I took the "hard" sciences at the same time as my nursing courses. I felt that ADCOMS took me more seriously. My university allowed me to take upper level human anatomy and physio instead of the nursing version. Stuff like that helped. The clinical rotations were a gimme. No one asked how I knew I wanted to be a physician because I had already spent hours in hospitals. Just keep pushing. If you have any questions, let me know.

btw....specialized health sciences may have the lowest acceptance rate....but some of those people do get in. Just work hard to make sure it is you. ;)
amen... can I message you because I have a few questions?