Nutrition (Dietetics), BS Major for Pre-Dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cassiewright

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are the specifics of the major:
https://webapp4.asu.edu/programs/t5/majorinfo/ASU00/ECNTRDBS/undergrad/false

I am currently a Biomedical Engineering major and it is not going well. I fail at least one class a semester. Biomedical Engineering will prepare me for DAT better but my GPA is suffering. I want to switch to a major that will get me into dental school. AT Stillman in Arizona to be specific. (http://www.atsu.edu/asdoh/pdfs/fact_sheet.pdf). But I also want a major that will give me a backup plan in case dental school does not work out.

I have one year experience with dental assisting and I have won third in the nation in HOSA Dental Science in the year 2013.

What are student/professional thoughts? Any advice is great.

Members don't see this ad.

Switch if you want to be a more competitive applicant GPA wise, stay if you like the major enough and think it will be useful.

Here are the specifics of the major:
https://webapp4.asu.edu/programs/t5/majorinfo/ASU00/ECNTRDBS/undergrad/false

I am currently a Biomedical Engineering major and it is not going well. I fail at least one class a semester. Biomedical Engineering will prepare me for DAT better but my GPA is suffering. I want to switch to a major that will get me into dental school. AT Stillman in Arizona to be specific. (http://www.atsu.edu/asdoh/pdfs/fact_sheet.pdf). But I also want a major that will give me a backup plan in case dental school does not work out.

I have one year experience with dental assisting and I have won third in the nation in HOSA Dental Science in the year 2013.

What are student/professional thoughts? Any advice is great.
I remember your thread asking for advice earlier this year. Why didn't you switch back then?
How many F's so far are we talking about here?
Your BME is not going to prepare you better for the DAT. Doing well on your d-school prereqs (bio, chem, ochem) and studying diligently for the test is ample enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
While any major is acceptable, keep in mind that the level of basic science courses for non "science" majors is likely to be lower than that for science/engineering majors.

Reactions: 1 user
I was a Nutritional Sciences- Dietetic Emphasis major- graduated a few years ago. I applied this cycle and have 9 interviews so far out of 15 schools. I had to take a few more basic sci courses to meet all the dental school requirements though.

I was a Nutritional Sciences- Dietetic Emphasis major- graduated a few years ago. I applied this cycle and have 9 interviews so far out of 15 schools. I had to take a few more basic sci courses to meet all the dental school requirements though.

Ok, I have most of the science courses already fulfilled because of the two semesters of the engineering. I just need to fulfill the physics and O-Chem. Is this your first 15 attempts at dental school may I ask? Or did you try another term earlier? Also may I ask what your GPA and DAT scores are? Totally fine if you don't feel comfortable answering I just want straight answers from a nutrition major.

Did Nutrition make you happy?

Ok, I have most of the science courses already fulfilled because of the two semesters of the engineering. I just need to fulfill the physics and O-Chem. Is this your first 15 attempts at dental school may I ask? Or did you try another term earlier? Also may I ask what your GPA and DAT scores are? Totally fine if you don't feel comfortable answering I just want straight answers from a nutrition major.

Did Nutrition make you happy?
This is my first time applying. GPA 3.69, DAT AA21/TS22/PAT19. Nutrition is a great degree. Community health/public health is kind of my thing, so having a Nutrition degree is definitely an asset for me.

This is my first time applying. GPA 3.69, DAT AA21/TS22/PAT19. Nutrition is a great degree. Community health/public health is kind of my thing, so having a Nutrition degree is definitely an asset for me.

What was your sGPA ? Just curious