Nutrition Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tms

spAcE cOwbOy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you in medical school, what is the extent of education on the topic of nutrition? From my perspective, it seems that it is a topic not covered extensively. What can I expect from medical school?

I am a firm believer in proper nutrition, both from a prophylactic standpoint as well as a plan for many disorders. Even from my own experiences, there is quite a lot of power in some supplements (Flax Seed oil to promote proper levels of polyunsat. fats and thus various hormone levels) and vitamins, etc.

I would appreciate comments on the quality of material presented in school as well as what students interested in this topic have down to supplement their knowledge.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools do not include a nutrition program as part of their formal curriculum. I am an MS1 at UAB however, and we get an entire block of it (joy! :rolleyes: ). So, the extent of your exposure to nutritional data will have to depend upon the curriculum set in place by your school.

If your school doesn't include a nutrition course, just about everything you need to know will be covered in a good medical biochemistry course. Good luck in the future, and enjoy your summer!:cool:

I think this is an area med schools are really lacking in. Biochem will cover basic vitamins and minerals and the signs of thier deficiencies. But, as far as other supplements/alternative medicine - you're probably going to be on your own to pick it up.

Maybe I should spend some time reading about it myself, as it is kinda embarrasing to not be able to answer patients questions on these things. Anyone have suggestions on a good book?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nonfiction--

"Eating Well for Optimum Health" by Andrew Weil, M.D. (for you and your patients)

Textbook--

?? (I don't have a recommended text).

M.

"Eat To Win" by Robert Haas, Ph.D.
"Optimum Sports Nutrition" by Michael Colgan, Ph.D.

Michael Colgan is probably the world's foremost authority on nutrition and supplememtation, and has done by far the most extensive research on the suject. His books are amazing...they are geared primarily toward athletes, but anyone would benefit from reading them.

Unfortunately,

Nutrition isn't covered all that adequately at most medical schools. It has an incredibly important role in preventing and causing numerous diseases, but usually nutrition is just mentioned, in brief. In our second year we have an 8 week block called Nutrition and Metabolism. I think the title is pretty misleading, for the majority of the block is dedicated to diseases of the GI tract, liver, pancreas, etc. Their is a little bit of endocrinology - where the role of insulin has a huge role in much of what we will be seeing in the clinic. I think we get more Nutrition than other some other schools, but I still do not think it is enough. For instance, we went through Renal and learned a great deal about end-stage chronic renal disease, but learned very little about the diet that those on dialysis are asked to adhere to. I think this knowledge is very important, even for interventionalists. We all know topics like obesity, hypertriglyceridemia, hypercholesterolemia, hypertension, osteoporosis, etc all are heavily influenced by diet and lifestyle..I just think that it should be given a little more respect.

I guess I should now add that I studied Nutritional Science and Toxicology as an undergrad and then did Master's in Human Nutrition where I focused on insulin resistance. So, I guess you could say I have a bias..

As far as good books..

I think Dr. Weil's book "Eating for Optimal Health" is pretty good, although not every recommendation is well supported by current literature. All the supplementation books are mostly garbage, if you ask me. For a good textbook (a huge one) check this text out. It has good epidemiology, good biochem/physio, as well as great explanations of the clinical importance of diet and its relation to disease.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_2/103-2711870-8123021?v=glance&s=books

Hope this helps.

Peace.

Drexel includes a nutrition class in their 1st year IFM curriculum.

The text used is Fundamentals of Clinical Nutrition edited by Sarah Morgan M.D.

mdf

Cincinnati has it as part of Medical Biochemistry. Its a rather small, learn-it-yourself type module. The course director here, though, is really big on which enzymes and such require vitamins, though, so there's sort of some more there. Oh, and this year we had the option of doing a computer diet analysis for 10 extra credit points, but next year that will be REQUIRED.