Nutrition Fellowship to transition into GI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Captdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I had a question regarding obtaining a GI residency. As it has become super competitive will doing a year of Nutrition fellowship make me a better candidate or is that no longer desired.

I think most Hepatology fellowships now only accept fellows who have completed a GI program.

I graduated from an IM program and have research experience and wanted to apply in July of 2012 for the following year. I am just trying to figure out what makes my application look more competitive: Research, Nutrition fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Both research and nutrition fellowship will help pad your resume. One of the advantages of pursuing a nutrition fellowship is that they are in short supply. You could use this to your benefit when you apply for a GI fellowship position, by attempting to "sell yourself" as having a strong interest in nutrition, and staying on as faculty after fellowship as the nutrition GI guy... Of course they'll be pissed if you don't follow through with your word.