NW programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muchogas

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey-just wanted to ask some opinions on the NW anesthesia programs. I am looking at U Washington, OHSU, Utah, and Colorado as possible destinations for living as well as training. Can anyone give me some ups and downs of each or any of the programs I listed? Also, would anyone be willing to venture and rank the programs from strongest to weakest. As of my research and conversations with gas docs to this point, I hear U Washington is tops, with Utah, Colorado, and OHSU following in the order. ALl are strong, yet that is the consensus. Any validity to that? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I can not comment on the other programs, but the new chair at Oregon, Jeff Kirsch, is the former residency director at Johns Hopkins. To be specific, my former residency director. No one is more of a resident advocate, a hard worker, or has the ability to achieve the goals he has. He has recruited some of our best attendings from Johns Hopkins to join him in Oregon and there is a line of others who want to follow him there. I would not be surprised if Oregon ascends to the top 5 programs in the country by the time you are done. Most importantly, Jeff Kirsch is well connected and has a great reputation in the private practice world. If he calls a group from his many connections and says that you are a good resident, it is a done deal. You won't regret taking a very serious look at that program.

Thanks man! I actaully think Oregon was among my top choice regardless just because of the location and the great things I hear about the OHSU. The fact that a solid group of docs are headed there to work on the program makes it very appealing. I appreciate the reply/info.

I'm a resident at UW, have to say that I'm extremely happy with my choice here. Lots of nice residents, we are rumored to work hard but...having done another residency first I can tell you that I have a LOT of time off compared to what I had in EM. I have had great teaching thus far, really nice faculty, and I think that we have tons of cases and get good experience.
Don't know much about OHSU, interviewed there before the big change. I love Portland too, so if you like the program it would be a great place to live.
I would be happy to answer and specific questions about UW if you have any...