1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

ny internal med programs

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by jamdmd, Feb 25, 2002.

1. jamdmd

jamdmd Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey all, wanted some input about ny internal medicine programs- i ranked mine as follows:
    mount sinai
    columbia
    nyu
    montefiore

and am having some second thoughts about monte vs nyu particularly. anyone have any ideas about
    the reputations of said programs- thanks

this 4 weeks stuff is bogus

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Superian

Superian Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would rate it this way:

columbia
    nyu
    mount sinai
    montefiore

4. JJ4

JJ4 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Why would you rate it that way?? :D

5. Test Boy

Test Boy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

mt sinai
    colum
    nyu
    monte

yeah i agree with your ranking

6. Voxel

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

You want to learn hands on stuff, have great professors, and location is not as important because you can live in the city from anyone of these programs.

Columbia
    Montefiore
    NYU
    Mt. Sinai.

You will get great training at any one of these programs as they are the TOP 4 in the NYC area.

7. Test Boy

Test Boy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

don't forget cornell, arguably #1. btw, you will get great hands-on at ANY of those programs.

8. Voxel

Cornell hands on? @ NY Hospital? Private Patient Capital of the World? Hmm lots of independent decision making goes on there I bet. Great name and location, but nowhere near the hands on independent decision making of the previously mentioned 4 NYC programs. I would rank it #5. Not everyone weighs the same thing equally, so I could see how cornell could swing up the rankings if other things are important to you.

9. JJ4

JJ4 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey all this is completely off topic but being that you all graduated/are graduating I figured I'd ask this question. So I am deciding between two MD/PhD programs at either Mayo or Mount Sinai. In the end wherever I go I'd like to settle in NYC. Which do you guys think will be a good program to go to in terms of research (the labs I am looking at at both are good -- although sinai has more NIH dollars and Mayo is more private funding), clinical training/diagnostics, and overall reputation when it comes to residency? I am thinking about going into academic neurosurgery. Thanks for your help.

10. jamdmd

jamdmd Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the feedback so far. My issue with NYU vs Montefiore is as follows: NYU would be a longer commute for me but I think it has a slightly more competitive resident pool which translates into better on the job learning. Also, in terms of a fellowship, I think NYU carries a stronger reputation, particularly outside of NY. This stuff is so subtle, there can be no right answer I guess.
    anyone have any thoughts???

11. Knight

Knight Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Voxel,

You would place Monte above NYU and Mt. Sinai? I would be interested in your reasoning.

12. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Five days after the Match deadline? Isn't this questioning kinda moot? Just a thought. And good luck, I hope it works out the way you want it to, come March. :)

Nu

13. Voxel

I think Montefiore and NYU is a close call. I just feel that more variety of diseases, especially parasitic 3rd world infections come to Montefiore and Columbia than NYU and certainly more than Mt. Sinai. NYU while hands on probably does not get as much 3rd world tropical/infectious disease presentations. Anyway, you would get a great education at any of these 4 programs.

14. dnt107

dnt107 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm interested in why, voxel, you assume nyu doesn't get any tropical diseases...what about bellevue? Have I been mislead into thinking that Bellevue gets a huge amount of manhattan's impoverished population. It is after all a public hospital and the biggest one in the u.s. Am i missing something? I would think NYU would have a leg up on other places when it comes to infectious disease and the like because its a public hospital and lower SES folks are usually the more ill population.

Any input appreciated. thanks.

15. Voxel

Most people who step off the plane from Africa/Asia who are suspected of having tropical diseases go to Columbia or Montefiore because they have national/international experts on and laboratories to detect these diseases. I never said bellevue isn't a great experience, but I believe that columbia and montefiore see a wider variety of diseases. Anyway, you won't go wrong at either of these 3.

16. prufrock

prufrock Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm going to have to disagree about the patient populations at Bellevue and at Columbia. I interviewed at both IM programs and ended up ranking Columbia higher simply b/c I wanted a richer research experience. NYU's pathology puts Columbia's to shame. The ENTIRE third world population actually goes to Bellevue while the Columbia population is mostly Dominican.

I think NYU's program is superior clinically but Columbia has the research funding and the designer fellowships. Of course, in the end, you're going to get fantastic training at either program and many doors will open if you train at either institution, but don't be fooled about the patient populations.

17. jamdmd

jamdmd Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

this is how i ranked the programs in my mind:

pathology: NYU, Monte (has jacobi),Columbia, Sinai
    malignancy (of program): Columbia,NYU,Monte, Sinai