NY Med School Power Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dbeast

That's cool I guess
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's how I've interpreted it reading these boards:

1. Columbia + Cornell
2. Sinai
3. NYU
4. Einstein + Rochester
5. Albany + NY Med
6. All the SUNY's

Although I could be way off... This is all based on SDN hearsay. Please contribute?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with bobow98. I am thinking ...

1. Columbia + Cornell
2. Sinai
3. NYU
4. Einstein + Rochester
5. SUNY Stony Brook+SUNY Downstate
Toss Up: Albany Med, NYMC, Other SUNY's

Each school has its advantage whether its prestige, research powerhouse, clinical experience, and/or affordability.

At the end of the day choose a school that you feel is the best fit for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's how I've interpreted it reading these boards:

1. Columbia + Cornell
2. Sinai
3. NYU
4. Einstein + Rochester
5. Albany + NY Med
6. All the SUNY's

Although I could be way off... This is all based on SDN hearsay. Please contribute?

Based on my experiences interviewing at every school in NYC.

Cornell and Columbia are definitely 1-2, but very different
Columbia > Cornell for prestige, but Cornell > Columbia for facilities, location, and lifestyle.

Columbia has a spanking new curriculum where you take the boards after your first clinical year. This sounded like a good idea at the time, but now that i'm in medschool, I think it would be terrible. Being in the clinic and getting ready for boards are two very different things, and while the first sounds more enjoyable, it is not that applicable to doing well on boards.

After that I would say NYU = Sinai, followed by Einstein. Einstein is still a very good school that would probably give excellent clinical exposure, but I downrated it for lifestyle reasons/location.

I agree with bobow98. I am thinking ...

1. Columbia + Cornell
2. Sinai
3. NYU
4. Einstein + Rochester
5. SUNY Stony Brook+SUNY Downstate
Toss Up: Albany Med, NYMC, Other SUNY's

Each school has its advantage whether its prestige, research powerhouse, clinical experience, and/or affordability.

At the end of the day choose a school that you feel is the best fit for you.

Just based on my visits I would say Rochester is slightly behind NYU (and thats only because of Bellevue) but Strong is pretty legit too.. I would put it alone at number 4.. I agree with Stony (never saw downstate).. Sinai / NYU dont seem that different to me when I interviewed other than sinai's recent jump in the rankings, but if that is your only criteria, sinai is only two spots back from cornell! And do the NYC school get a location bonus? Its all very confusing..

clearly what we need is an NY med school BCS system, that will solve everything

I think USNWR does a pretty good job rank ordering the NY schools accurately.

My only corrections to what has been said so far is that rochester > einstein in all categories, save fin aid.
The bronx doesn't get you brownie points in my book. Also NYMC (*cough* Touro *cough*) comes in last.

Stony Brook is definitely the best SUNY, and given the choice I'd pick it over Einstein. I'd pick Rochester over Einstein as well.

Last edited:
For me it would be tough being out in Rochester after being kind of isolated during undergrad for 4 years, so I think Einstein personally has the edge over Rochester. That said, I'm sure Rochester has shinier facilities, and friendlier locals, which is a big plus.

I never cared much for rankings. Location and fit are far more important for anyone that isn't interested in pursuing a high profile research position, and even then, it doesn't matter all that much.

I think SUNY Buffalo, for example, currently ranked 59th for research, and unranked for clinical, is still a very good school. Everyone I know that goes there is very happy with their choice to attend, and I'm positive it's the right school for me.

I hope everyone finds the school that fits best for them.

Are any of these schools good scholarship schools - like do they give out a lot of merit aid? If so, for what?

Are any of these schools good scholarship schools - like do they give out a lot of merit aid? If so, for what?

It depends on a lot of factors. If you applied this cycle and haven't yet filled out your FAFSA, fill it out ASAP and stay optimistic.

Private schools in New York State are likely to give out more aid, since they are significantly more expensive than public schools. Of course, the SUNYs are a nice bargain (tuition might go up soon though because of the state budget crisis), and merit based aid should still be available in some cases.

I am really curious what other think about Rochester vs. NYU as well- I interviewed at both and really liked both.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am really curious what other think about Rochester vs. NYU as well- I interviewed at both and really liked both.
Honestly, I think I liked Rochester more than NYU, though to preface that I don't really think I would be that comfortable living in NYC, I am not really a super-urban kind of person. But I think they are on a pretty similar level in terms of prestige and things, Rochester was an awesome place that just felt more like home to me than NYU. Also Rochester is cheaper than NYU by like 6k plus the differences in living expenses between Rochester and NYC, so that is something else that is nice about Rochester.

So, I know this isn't an issue for anyone yet, but I am guessing come next week a bunch of people are going to be making a decision between Cornell and Columbia. On the off chance I get into Columbia, I know it would be a super-tough decision for me personally (I think both schools are fantastic, but different), so I'd love to hear people who interviewed/are familiar with both schools' thoughts.

So, I know this isn't an issue for anyone yet, but I am guessing come next week a bunch of people are going to be making a decision between Cornell and Columbia. On the off chance I get into Columbia, I know it would be a super-tough decision for me personally (I think both schools are fantastic, but different), so I'd love to hear people who interviewed/are familiar with both schools' thoughts.

I interviewed at both. Both schools seemed like they have all the opportunities one could ever want.

It seems like you might not fit in too well at Columbia if you do not fit the specific type of person they are looking for -- they seemed to have an incredibly strong humanities focus. Some people discussed this at great length in the Columbia thread a week or two ago.

I think falling in love with Cornell requires liking PBL... It seemed like in reality they have more of a mix of lecture and PBL despite talking about how their curriculum is PBL focused, but still, it would not be fun to be there if you didn't like that kind of learning.

im thinking...

1) Cornell
2) Columbia
3) Sinai
4) NYU
5) Rochester
6) Einstein
7) Stony
8) Downstate
9) Upstate/Albany
10) Buffalo
11) NYMC
12) Hofstra (Only cause its new and theres no data)

im thinking...

1) Cornell
2) Columbia
3) Sinai
4) NYU
5) Rochester
6) Einstein
7) Stony
8) Downstate
9) Upstate/Albany
10) Buffalo
11) NYMC
12) Hofstra (Only cause its new and theres no data)

1)Hofstra (it is free)
2) Cornell
2) Columbia
3) Sinai
4) NYU
5) Rochester
6) Einstein
7) Stony
8) Downstate
9) Upstate/Albany
10) Buffalo
11) NYMC

how is hofstra free..? during their interview day, they said 20k scholarship for their 1st class. which still brings their tuition to be higher than state schools.

how is hofstra free..? during their interview day, they said 20k scholarship for their 1st class. which still brings their tuition to be higher than state schools.

Right, and since when is something free better than something paid? It it were free it would be for a reason... one that would def NOT put it at the top of a "power" ranking list.

Oh yeah?

Attachments

• NYC Power Rankings.JPG
    NYC Power Rankings.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 350
Reactions: 1 user
Sorry for being a self-bumper but I'm curious if any opinions change now that new rankings have come out. kthxbai

Hi . . .

I think my decision will come down to Cornell and Columbia . . . and possibly Mt. Sinai. I'm interested in hearing more about the differences between those schools . . . Or is there another thread about this?

I thinking taking the boards after the first clinical year would be amazing. My medical knowledge is so much higher than it was prior to the boards it's not even funny. Studying for med and Surg shelves (like step 1 with patient management components) is key. I'm teaching a step 1 prep course and hardly need to prepare for lectures.

Based on my experiences interviewing at every school in NYC.

Cornell and Columbia are definitely 1-2, but very different
Columbia > Cornell for prestige, but Cornell > Columbia for facilities, location, and lifestyle.

Columbia has a spanking new curriculum where you take the boards after your first clinical year. This sounded like a good idea at the time, but now that i'm in medschool, I think it would be terrible. Being in the clinic and getting ready for boards are two very different things, and while the first sounds more enjoyable, it is not that applicable to doing well on boards.

After that I would say NYU = Sinai, followed by Einstein. Einstein is still a very good school that would probably give excellent clinical exposure, but I downrated it for lifestyle reasons/location.

Have to weigh in here as a person who went to Rochester and is now training in NYC. I think that Columbia and Cornell are definitely the top two, but the next three (Sinai, NYU, Rochester) are more difficult to rank. I think in the city itself people consider Sinai/NYU as relatively equal and would place Rochester behind them. I also think that is in no small part to the bias that NYC has to its own programs and training.

However outside of the city I don't think any of the three have a significanty bigger name than the others overall (though NYU does have a few training programs with real national reputation- plastics, ortho, derm, rads). In my friends and my experience with the match many program directors in various fields generally considered programs like NYU, Brown, Pittsburgh, Case Western, Sinai, and Rochester to be relatively similar in quality and prestige. The only place in my own experience where I found this to be different was in NYC, where more than one interviewer asked if my school was a SUNY program (ahem, Montefiore).

In short I do think that in NYC the power rankings favor the NYC programs. However outside of the city it seems to be less certain.

In my humble opinion and taking into account all factors (location, hospital affiliations, probably cost, etc.),

1. Cornell
2. Columbia
3. Mt. Sinai
4. NYU
5. Rochester
6. Stony Brook
7. Albert Einstein
8. Downstate
9. Buffalo/Upstate
10. Albany/NYMC

Don't know too much about Hofstra. Funny how most people's personal rankings are consistent with the US News rankings as well.

1 Columbia
2. Cornell = Sinai
3. NYU
4. Einstein = rochester
5. rest

Status
Not open for further replies.