NY Methodist Hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theunderdog

Medical Student (Slave)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i guess this is more of a general question. i'm noticing a discrepancy between the number of spots available and the number of spots advertised.

on FREIDA, NY methodist hospital shows 38 categorical and prelim total spots for PGY-1, with 30 spots for each year afterwards.

yet, on the NRMP statistitics, there were only 10 spots total for PGY1???

what is the discrepancy? are the other 28 spots available through the ERP or some other match process??

also, what is the reputation of ny methodist hospital's IM program i noticed he's unfilled year after year.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i guess this is more of a general question. i'm noticing a discrepancy between the number of spots available and the number of spots advertised.

on FREIDA, NY methodist hospital shows 38 categorical and prelim total spots for PGY-1, with 30 spots for each year afterwards.

what is the discrepancy? are the other 28 spots available through the ERP or some other match process??

also, what is the reputation of ny methodist hospital's IM program i noticed he's unfilled year after year.

thanks!

bump!

thanks!

This program has been discussed multiple times. It's an I/FMG mill that fills most/all of their spots via pre-match and the scramble. I did a rotation there as a med student and there was not a single AMG in the program at the time. Last I heard (4y ago mind you) it was pretty scut-tastic as well w/o much in the way of good teaching. Things may have changed but I think you have all the info you need to make a decision about whether or not this program would be for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
yep, this program has been discussed before here, do a search. Basically its a NY program that only takes FMG with 99 scores on all boards. Almost every year they have 10 spots available for the prematch and they only take FMG's with 99 score. That's the story on the program, dont even waste your time with them.

And I have heard they work pretty hard their residents.

Hello, I'm a second year resident at NYMH... and i'll tell you first hand, the experience has been absolutely outstanding. Residency is hard work, i'm not denying that.. but the teaching, the camraderie and the autonomy is great here.
Everyone is confused about the numbers game, the so-called "pyramid" system, which it definitely is not. Categorical residents move from one year to the next unless they're truly crappy, which happens from time to time. :laugh:

Hello everybody.

Unfortunately this is one of the few places I could find an IM spot. It looks like there is conflicting info about this program. Most mid/not as competitive programs are heavily filled by FMG. I'm trying to figure out why this hospital is any different. And why does this place NEVER fill? Is it because they dont participate in ERAS and they plan to sweep people up after the match?? Or.. does this place flat out stink? Regarding the comment about grinding down the residents: sounds like a typical program to me.

Any advice (other than the limited stuff I've seen posted) is helpful.

Thanks

Last edited:
And why does this place NEVER fill? Is it because they dont participate in ERAS and they plan to sweep people up after the match?? Or.. does this place flat out stink?

Yes and yes. But it's your home for the next 3 years so make the most of it. I don't mean to imply that there are not good learning opportunities, just that you're basically there to do the work for them and go through the motions required to sit for the ABIM exam.

Programs that just grind down residents are certainly out there but it isn't (and shouldn't be) the norm.

I would like to get one of their remaining spots. I don't know how to get them to look at my app, since it isn't what they usually see. What if I went over there with documents in hand? Too forward?