1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

NY/NJ Cost of living

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Chris_Topher, May 13, 2001.

1. Chris_Topher

Chris_Topher Señor Member
    10+ Year Member

Our school (KCOM) has opened up a new region for 3rd and 4th year rotations that includes hospitals in Newark and Paterson, NJ, and the Bronx, NY. Coming from Missouri, the living expenses in the region appear high; a review of apartments in northern NJ revealed a 1 bdr average price of $900!
    This is a bit more than our Financial Aid office is planning to give us while we live in the region (please note understatement), and I was wondering what med students in similar regions and situations were experiencing.

What is your monthly rent?
    How much has your student loan office budgeted for your living expenses (rent and additional living expenses such as utilities)?
    How are you getting along, literally and figuratively?
    Any other thoughts or comments?

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nden

nden New Member

Coming from Missouri, I'm sure NY/NJ rents must look astronomical, and they are. My wife and I had to relocate to NYC for rotations from California where the rents are somewhat comparable. One thing to know before coming is that finding an apartment in NY is REALLY tough. Be prepared to pay 1 months rent, 1 months security and you may end up having to go to a real estate broker to find you an apartment and they usually take 1 months rent as their fee. We searched everyday for two weeks and finally found something that we didn't have to go to a broker for( we couldn't stand the thought of paying $1000 just to find us a place). We did however end up paying the Super of the apartment building $500 to get the place. It may have been tougher for us because we have a small child. If it is just yourself, check the hospitals where you will be doing rotations. Ask other students and residents if they know of rooms for rent. It may be easier for you to find a room in someones house to rent out. We are taking Stafford loans, which barely covers our tuition, and an alternative loan to cover living expenses. Ask your financial aid dept if they offer Alternative loans. These are usually deffered, but the interest rate is around 10%. If you have more questions you can email me. Good Luck!

4. Chris_Topher

Chris_Topher Señor Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the reply, Nden. We muscled an increase in rent allowance from our FA officer (not an easy task). See you in the big city!