NY/NJ in state residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kew82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

i am filling out my aadsas application and i am trying to get into a few out of state schools. I go to school in NJ and have an apartment in NJ, however my permanent residence is in NYC. So i can file for both.

If i use my address in NY on my aadsas what are my chances of being accepted to an out of state school like ASDOH (AT Still) or Novasoutheastern? Or should i use my NJ address. My parents also live in Florida, so that's also an option for filing in-state residency.

Members don't see this ad.

you dont have the luxury to claim as many state residencies as you like. if you living in nj for more than 1 year and working in nj you are NJ resident and that is it.

you dont have the luxury to claim as many state residencies as you like. if you living in nj for more than 1 year and working in nj you are NJ resident and that is it.

thank you for NOT answering my question.

Here's the Q: since NY has 4 dental schools, and i'm looking to go out of state, does it help to use an out of state address to get into a school like ASDOH

thank you for NOT answering my question.

Here's the Q: since NY has 4 dental schools, and i'm looking to go out of state, does it help to use an out of state address to get into a school like ASDOH

Check with the school. Every state has different requirements on how to claim instate residency. Some require you to be living/working for a certain amount of time, while others dont. As for the private schools, it probably doesn't matter where you live as they are not bound by requirements like those. It would be smart to keep a NY state residency, since you have more state schools there VS the 1 in NJ.