NY/NJ Residence Requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarlyM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from college and plan on working for a couple years before applying to med school. My job prospects so far are in NJ, and I'm currently a NY resident.

If I live in NJ for 2 years, will I be considered a NJ resident and eligible for in-state tuition at UMDNJ? Will I no longer be a NYS resident and ineligible for in-state at the SUNY schools?

FWIW, my parents are NYS residents, and I have a permanent NYS address. I'm registered to vote in NY, have NY license and plates, etc.

Any advice would be great, my Google searches haven't been very helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that you can't claim residency in two places, at least legally. You can probably maintain your residency in NY, just like people still do during college. But, otherwise, you can easily become a Jersey resident, change your voter registration (and you should because McCain is trying to take Jersey and we don't want that to happen) sorry for the political talk. But, yeah, Jersey you can switch to, otherwise, you should be able to maintain your status under your parents

Agreed with the above post - you can only claim 1 legal state residence. I might suggest you keep your NYC residence, since there are far more public schools in NY that you would benefit from being in-state. Unless you're hankering for either of the 2 UMDNJs, stay a NY resident.

Good luck in Jersey - I can only suspect you scored a pharmaceutical job :thumbup:.

Thanks for the responses. I do want to remain a NY resident, but wasn't sure if I'd still qualify legally if I move to NJ. Anyone else?