SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

NY or CA residency?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mistatwo, Mar 21, 2007.

1. mistatwo

mistatwo 7+ Year Member

Oct 16, 2006
    So i'm registering for the MCAT and I need to decide on a state of residence for my 2008 application cycle. I went to school and lived in CA for all of my life up until I started my post bacc program in NY last August. I've spoken to the pre-med advisor who believes I still qualify for either state's residency depending on what I do after my program ends this July. I am an east asian male, 25 y/o, went to UCB. I'm hoping for an MCAT in the low 30's, and I have a 3.65 undergrad gpa, 4.0 (or close to it) post bacc gpa. Both have great state schools, although I would prefer a CA state school over a NY state school, but that point is moot unless I get into a school period. Suggestions?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gotmeds?

gotmeds? 5+ Year Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Ooh, that's a tough one. As a NY resident, you'd have a really good shot at getting into a NY state school and you'd get slight preference for the private schools in NYC (not officially, but just look at their in state vs. OOS acceptances). As a CA resident, you'd get preference at the UCs, but you'd be screwed if you didn't get into one. I guess I'd base my decision on the MCAT score. I don't think low-30's is going to be enough to make the UCs a safe bet. You'd be slightly above-average, but I know plenty of people who fall into that category and didn't get in. I guess I'd say to claim CA if you're in the mid-30s or better. Anything below that and I'd consider keeping NY.

4. Biostats.moore

Biostats.moore Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 21, 2006
  5. OneDayDoc

OneDayDoc Member 2+ Year Member

Jun 22, 2006
    I was in the same boat. Just to let you know, if you want to declare CA residency, you must have a CA drivers license, be registered to vote in CA and have filed a CA tax return.
    I picked CA because I wanted to go to school there and because the state schools are much better than the NY state schools (I don't think state residency has much affect on the private school admission).

6. epigastric

epigastric Stewart U. Class of '11 2+ Year Member

Nov 8, 2006
    While you're more likely to get into an NY school than a CA one, two of the four NY school are upstate, one is on Long Island (so can reach NYC on weekends), and the fourth is in Brooklyn. So while you have an excellent shot at acceptance, the location may not be your first pick. Being a NY resident does give you a very slight advantage to some NY schools, because they know you're willing to move there, but it's small.

As other people have pointed out, a CA residency can be enormously difficult to prove and their schools are also known for not letting in plenty of residents. If your goal is to be in medical school on in-state tuition next year, regardless of location, NY is the way to go. If your goal is a great location, you're willing to maybe not get in to a public school, and can prove residency, you should think about CA.

7. mistatwo

mistatwo 7+ Year Member

Oct 16, 2006
    i think i'm going to stick with ca residency. based on the number of state schools and their respective locations, i don't know if ca can be beat. thanks for you input(s).

8. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member 2+ Year Member

May 28, 2006
    Boston & NYC
    Think you'll be okay but be sure to apply to tons of schools outside of CA as well.

9. narc

narc 2+ Year Member

May 26, 2006
    Stick with Ca just to give yourself a better shot at a Ca school. If you are a NY resident you basically have no shot at Ca schools, but as a Ca resident you can pretty much go to any state schools minus the Tx ones.

10. NewKidin2block

NewKidin2block Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 2, 2006
    what's a competitive stat for california resident to get into their school? I recently moved into california, but they required me to declared residency no matter what