NY presbyterian ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inka

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Coping and pasting here since noone answered the question posted in another thread...

Does anybody know anything useful about the new Cornell/Columbia EM program? good teaching? good program?are residents happy there? what's it all about? I was told that it's a wild card since it's new and has not graduated any residents yet...

I really appreciate any info!

Thanks in advance and for all the posts!

cheers and best wishes,
see ya in NYC,

inka

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully things have changed but when I was there the institutional culture was highly anti-EM. I graduated from Columbia P&S in 1997. At that time the new hospital(Milstein) didn't even have an ED. They kept the ED two blocks away in the old hospital. Not great for efficiency but good for keeping the riff-raff out of your fancy new hospital. There was a strong anti-EM bias in the academic culture as well. One of the high powered medicine attendings told my wife she was wasting her time in "Band-aid" medicine. I was told by several attendings that I was wasting my life and career by going in to EM. I pretty much had to apply to EM on the sly. A few friends of ours tried to work at P&S in the ED in the late 90's and found the lack of institutional support so great that they eventually left. Last time I was there the ED was still dividided into an IM and surgery zones with separate little subdomains carved out for ortho, ob/gyn, and psych. The triage person made the decision which little fiefdom to send you to and then the appropriate resident saw you. As I said before, hopefully much has changed in the last 6 years but if you go there expect many turf battles with medicine and surgery. These departments are very strong and their residents are some of the best and they know it. They are used to getting their way

My first post was probably a bit harsh. My original comments are balanced by the fact that the resources, academic and otherwise, of the two institutions rival those of any medical school in the country. Furthermore, the range of pathology you will see is outstanding, everything from inner city bread and butter type problems to truly exotic stuff that flies in from all over the world just to be seen there.