NY residency - where to live?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coleman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you familiar with the area or currently at medical school, I can't help but notice the abundance of residency programs in NY, specifically Manhattan and Long Island.

For the Manhattan programs, what are the options living arrangements? I know some programs offer housing and "reduced" rates which brings them down to sky-high in relation to the rest of the real estate world. But do people live outside the city and commut into Manhattan? Where? Possibly Long Island or do they cross the river and commute in the NJ?

For the Long Island programs, where do people live? Is commuting possible or does is take too long? What is Queens like vs. Brooklyn vs. the Bronx?

Any other thoughts on the far east programs (Stony Brook)?

Any anwers to any of the questions would be great. I've been to the city (Manhattan) several times before but never got out to LI so I have nothing to go on.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Coleman,

If you're going to be working in NYC (and don't want to live there necessarily), you could always try Hoboken. Depending on where you need to go in the city, the PATH train from Hoboken runs pretty frequently and is not that long of a ride. Hoboken itself is a pretty nice place, and somewhat like NYC itself (but on a MUCH smaller scale). The Apt's are "moderately priced" (based on a north east perspective), but it's still cheaper than living in the city - although not by much. In my opinion though, you will probably end up living IN the city; for some reason, no matter how close you live TO the city, something will always make you late - and that's not something you want to always be worrying about. As far as the Bronx or Long Island, I'm not too framiliar with those areas.

Hope that helps...

-Alex

...if you're coming by yourself or with a family in tow...and how much of your income you want to dedicate to housing.

[BTW, this is actually nychick's sister--I've lived in the city for 9 years, and NYC real estate is my hobby ;) ]

I'd say that in Manhattan you would be hard pressed to find anything under, say, $1500 for a 1 bedroom, save for the subsidized places. Plus, if a place comes with housing, you get to save the 15% of the first year's rent you get to give to the Manhattan broker for finding you a closet with a hot plate for $1200 in the first place. So if a place comes with housing, it helps with the expenses but also eliminates a lot of hassle. Big plus.

But you don't necessarily have to go to New Jersey. There are pockets of up and coming neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and even upper Manhattan that are (comparatively) affordable and convenient.

For example, Williamsburg is convenient to Beth Israel (although I think they have housing--not sure) and NYU. Long Island City and Astoria, both in Queens, are convenient to midtown. Further out in Queens, Forest Hills is very nice, but it's kind of a trek if you want to commute to the city--but you could commute to some places in Long Island from there if you felt so inclined (you can also commute to Long Island from Brooklyn--there is a station at Atlantic avenue, but only for some lines). Pelham Park is convenient to Einstein/the Bronx hospitals. I've also heard that Woodlawn (in the Bronx) is a fun neighborhood, but I have to admit I've never been there. Riverdale is a more staid North Bronx neighborhood--a fair share of retirees live there.

I live in Brooklyn, so I know most about that: in Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights, which are probably the most expensive neighborhoods in Brooklyn, studios are ca. $1200-1300. I think Methodist's most expensive studio is like $1100 or so (also in Park Slope, just to give you a comp). Cobble Hill and Boerum Hill are also very nice and the subway is right there. Fort Greene and Prospect Heights are two areas that are gentrifying. I wouldn't recommend DUMBO or Red Hook because of their poor accessibility to public transit.

Hoboken used to have great access to Manhattan--midtown, downtown, everywhere, but the 9/11 attack severed the link to downtown. I think there's still a ferry but I think it may not run as frequently or at hours that would be useful to you.

If you do decide that apartment living is not for you, you pretty much have to go to the 'burbs (NJ, Westchester, LI) or 'burb-like Queens neighborhoods unless you have a bunch of money to spend. And I have to admit, I know about neither 'burbs nor having tons o'money.

Dear NYChick's sister -

you are the best, thank you so much for your input. That is exactly what I was looking for. You've given me a great place to start looking, I really appreciate it!

If you need any California help, let me know!

Cole