NY residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UHS03

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Does anybody know anything about St. Barnabas hospital in the Bronx? I'm interested in a residency there, but having never been to the Bronx, I am curious about the area and what current residents at the hospital or anyone living in New York have to say about the prospect of spending 4-6 years of one's life there. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

St. Barnabas is in the South Bronx, which while recently rehabilitated is still not the most desirable place in New York for a real life. I'm not sure what residents at Barnabas do for living arrangements, but I doubt many live around the hospital.

St. Barnabas is a major clinical affiliate of NYCOM, and in fact many of NYCOMEC's residency programs are situated at Barnabas, and a limited clinical affiliate of Cornell's Weill Medical College whose only sponsored ACGME residency program is in Internal Medicine.

According to the FREIDA website, there were 2000 applications for just about 30 PGY1 positions. The statistics for NYCOMEC may be different, so definitely give them a call if you're interested in the AOA-approved program.

Here's some community data straight from the FREIDA website on Barnabas' patient population:

200,000 Total catchment population
1,203,800 County population

Race
37.3% Black
0.5% Native American/Eskimo/Aleut
35.7% White
3.0% Asian/Pacific Islander (Includes Indian sub-continent)
23.5% Other

Ethnicity
43.5% Hispanic Origin

Age distribution percent
8.5% 0-4
7.6% 5-9
14.6% 10-19
17.8% 20-29
8.5% 30-34
13.7% 35-44
9.8% 45-54
4.0% 55-59
14.1% 60-84
1.5% 84

Primary economic base of community
14.2% Health services
56.3% White collar
11.0% Manufacturing
4.8% Construction
0.2% Agriciulture/forestry

15,579 Per capita income
25.7% Families below poverty level
12.9% Unemployment rate
173,000 Median home value
443 Median gross rent
12.2% Percent of persons with 4 or more years of college
25,394 Three year average number of total births
2,925 Three year average number of low weight births

Tim of New York City.

Thanks Tim, I am particularly interested in the general surgery residency there (and internship). The write up about the residency on the AOA page (I only go there when I have to, it makes me feel dirty
smile.gif
) said that as of October only 10 of the 12 slots had been filled. I was shocked to hear that they had 2000 applications in whole (I assume not just for surgery). I am at UHS, so am looking at the DO program (which incidentally I understand can possibly lead to board certification by BOTH boards...cool!) Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
UHS03,

it is my understanding that, when it is indicated that only 10 out of 12 spots were filled, it doesn't necessarly indicate that the remaining 2 spots are open.

They may not have had any intention of filling these 2 spots to begin with, or those may have been positions filled informally, so to speak, outside the match.

At least that is what I was told sometime ago, when I was musing over why there were always several spots open at what looked like some of the most desireable residency programs around. Anyone knows any different?

UHS2002

Thanks for the reply. I know you guys are in the process of planning your rotations (you have a mock match coming up soon, right?) I was looking through the reviews of various rotation sights, and St. Barnabas seemed to get quite a few good reviews. Do you know any of your classmates that are planning on going there? If so, I'd like to talk to them sometime. Not enough of us use you guys as a reference, I chose a summer internship sight based on the recommendation of one of your classmates. Thanks again!