Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

NY resident vesus CA resident...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ATP Synthase, Mar 11, 2007.

1. ATP Synthase

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I live in both CA and NY and was wondering which state should I put on AMCAS. I believe NY accepts their own residents first but CA does not. Any advice is appreciated.

2. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I dont think you can have permanent residency in two states. Wherever your permanent address is, your driver's license or wherever you pay state taxes to is where your state of residency is. If California is is your actual state residency, I hope you have high numbers- it is the hardest state in the United States to get into medical school there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. GoinBack2Cali?

GoinBack2Cali? it used to be so cool
    2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Numbers aren't everything, just be well rounded. And I'd go with CA residency, while the percentages are a little rough, you'll be happy you did.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Understandable and certainly true. But Cali is one of the less forgiving states, and New York has the SUNY schools which are friendlier to its residents. Im just confused as to the duality between state residencies. I believe American citizens can only be a resident of one state.

5. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree with braluk. If the OP is a strong candidate, I'd go with CA residency. If s/he's a more middle-of-the-road or weaker candidate, NY would be the wiser choice.

6. Nomemory

Nomemory Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ...I'd go with NY. CA schools are a little rough and the few that aren't seem to be looking for that *something special*. What is is, I don't know but if you don't happen to have it....like I said...I vote NY. :confused:

7. Enwysefinest

2+ Year Member

no duel residency. You are a resident of only one state. Do not put the wrong state on your amcas or else you will be in big crap.

8. etf

etf
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

clearly you're not from california. or at least not from northern california.

9. jstuds_66

jstuds_66 Free cat to a good home
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'd go with NY also. I had the choice between CA or Idaho. Beleive it or not, I wish I had gone with Idaho. I got absolutely no love from CA schools.

10. johnnydrama

johnnydrama I'm no Superman
    10+ Year Member

Unless you are a stellar applicant, it's not worth trying to apply to CA schools out of state. I would say if you are aiming high, call yourself a CA resident, but if you are worried you might not get in anywhere, call yourself a NY resident. And make sure whichever you choose you can prove. There are good to great CA state schools, while NY has okay to mediocre ones.

11. Nomemory

Nomemory Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    jstuds: we're fighters, not lovers. Bottom line, CA schools are effers. It's a consequence of the sun exchange paradox. What that means, I have no clue, but I know it was balls hot today and I'm kinda mad.

12. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    ATP Synthase, are your F-0 subunits in Cali while your F-1 subunits are in NY? Which state experiences your catalysis? Where do you live when your proton gradient is most depleted? :laugh:

Actually, I agree that it's not possible to have dual residency. AMCAS surely won't let you do it; but for whatever you declare, you MUST make sure that the state agrees with you. If you have worked continuously in one state without being a student for a year, you would be a resident of that state where I live. I'm not familiar with the rules in NY/CA. If you declare something that you can't prove later, then you won't be a resident anywhere. Living somewhere as a student usually does not provide evidence of domicile establishment.

What is your story? Do you own property in both states and fly back and forth to two different jobs?