ny state public schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jm2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
any opinions about SUNY upstate vs. University at Buffalo vs. SUNY Downstate vs. SUNY Stony Brook in terms of strength of their match lists, reputations, preparing students for the boards? i've interviewed at all four now and can't see that any of the schools has a real edge over the others in those 3 areas... but i'd like to hear others' opinions. or any other pros/ cons to the schools (besides geographic considerations)

Members don't see this ad.

any opinions about SUNY upstate vs. University at Buffalo vs. SUNY Downstate vs. SUNY Stony Brook in terms of strength of their match lists, reputations, preparing students for the boards? i've interviewed at all four now and can't see that any of the schools has a real edge over the others in those 3 areas... but i'd like to hear others' opinions. or any other pros/ cons to the schools (besides geographic considerations)

I applied to all of them and had my sights set on Upstate and am attending Upstate. So my bias however was also part of my selection. Upstate is ranked 8th in the NATION for placing its grads in academic positions while Downstate is 11th. (impressive for a snowy state school in Syracuse.) I think the facilities are better at Upstate, they want to become the next USMLE testing site. (HUGE simulation labs!) I also think Upstate is just a better school all around. Buffalo is ranked higher then both school but the surgical residencies at Upstate are ranked by the NIH as among the most competitive in the country!

My 2 cents..

Upstate is the strongest in term of facilities, especially with the new children's hospital recently built

Status
Not open for further replies.