NY Testing Sites, any good ones?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WonderBoy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Gonna take the test soon in NY, would appreciate if people could write a few words about their test experience at the NY sites.

1) How are the computers

2) Number of students taking test with you? all MCAT students?

3) what kind of scratch paper?

4) Headphones or ear plugs?

Thanks & good luck on the scores!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was at 1 Penn Plaza, Suite 1540.
1) How are the computers
- computers were old fashioned, no LCD screens but were old school monitors from the mid 90s. wheel mouse without a scroll wheel.

2) Students taking test with you?
- set apart in cubicles.

- they give you 2 pencils and paper that doesnt make too much noise when you write on it (i think it's recycled paper)

- there were both headphones and those ear muffler things that construction guys wear

good luck in your endeavors!

bump for 5/11 test
Are you test on the 11th or do you want the 11th tester to post??? Just wondering cause you posted this on the 12th.

My test center was at the Prometric center in Brooklyn, btw...it was nice and quiet there.

I a different CBT test at Livingston St in Brooklyn and would definitely recommend. It was one or two stops just out of Manhattan.

1) How are the computers
The Computers are brand new flat screen.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking about but for the most part, everyone was cool and we were all mostly taking different tests. Some people were typing the entire time, which wasn't a distraction for me, but I can see it being a distraction for others (I think you'll have that anywhere though).

I had a booklet of roughly 5 pages (10 sides) of pink/peach scratch paper (regular 8.5 X11 paper - just pink).

Those huge headphones that cover your entire ear. At first I was hesitant about wearing them because I thought they would be uncomfortable and annoying in the sense that I would be very conscious of them while taking the test. However I put them on in the middle of the test and they were so comfortable I didn't even realize I had them on. Furthermore, they completely blocked out all background noise, including the constant typing of other test-takers. I was in my own little test-taking world when I put them on.

Good luck!

Hey all,

Gonna take the test soon in NY, would appreciate if people could write a few words about their test experience at the NY sites.

1) How are the computers

Took the test May 16th, in NYC at 1 Penn Plaza, suite 1728.

1) Computers are okay. Fat computer screens, and they were flickery! It was really hard to focus. I told the proctor before the test started and she moved me to another computer. It was flickery too, but less so, so tolerable. First mouse had scroll wheel, second didn't. I was mildly worried about that since I'm so used to the wheel, but it proved not to be a problem.

2) It was separated in cubicles... kind of like in the music listening lab at college. :). I really did not notice other students much. Here's the layout. You enter a business office suite, and there's a reception desk where you sign in, and a comfortable waiting area with a TV on quietly, lockers off to the side, and a place to hang your jacket. The window overlooks a gorgeous view of midtown buildings and the top of Madison Square Garden. There is an office water dispenser. There are several small testing rooms. They call your name after you deposit the stuff in your locker. You can only take your ID and locker key with you. You can't carry a sweater; can only wear it; if you take it off they said you would have to bring it outside. But not to worry. The temperature seemed very carefully controlled. I wore a long sleeve shirt and TV shirt over it. At one point I was mildly stuffy, at another a tiny bit cold. So it was pretty good ventilation. The room seats maybe 25 cubicles in a squarish area. each cubicle felt like it was its own space... I didn't really notice or pay attention to other testers. It was very quiet: excellent. I put on the headphones (large orange ones) which made things silent, but I felt that I didn't need them, so did not use them, and found the slight ambient sounds companionable. THen again, I study in the city and my room faces the street, so I'm used to various sounds.

Breaks: took about 4 minutes for the sign out/sign in procedure, and 4 minutes for the bathroom/food break - in the hall - and 2 minutes to zone out and make sure i was back on time.

I heard horror stories of people leaving these things in tears. My experience was opposite that. The whole thing felt quiet, introverted, focused, and individual. In addition, the staff was genial.

3) Scratch paper was an 8 1/2 by 11 size booklet of about 8 pages (includes front and back) of light blue paper. They give you 2 pencils. They say you can raise your hand when you need more. I didn't even use mine up, and I tend to write a lot (hmm.... really).

4) Headphones... see #2. There were large orange headphones. Also maybe large black ones. I didn't use them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also took my exam at Penn Plaza - the testing environment was great and the proctors/processing folks were very speedy and professional.

Make sure you triple check your ID and have that all in order! If you bring a state ID/driver's license, they scan them for verification. A young woman came to take the MCAT with an expired ID and was told that she would have to re-schedule. It was horrific to watch...

Hey all,

1) How are the computers

2) Number of students taking test with you? all MCAT students?

I took it at Westbury in Long Island

1) computers are fine, everything in this facility looks new
2) there were like 10 other students.. half of them taking mcat, the other half doing something else
3) no headphones, no ear plugs.. just ear muffs.. which were kinda uncomfortable, i jsut took'em off after 10 min.

Overall, Westbury CBT testing center is perfect. Very very quiet and peaceful, very clean, no distractions.

I took it at Westbury in Long Island

1) computers are fine, everything in this facility looks new
2) there were like 10 other students.. half of them taking mcat, the other half doing something else
3) no headphones, no ear plugs.. just ear muffs.. which were kinda uncomfortable, i jsut took'em off after 10 min.

Overall, Westbury CBT testing center is perfect. Very very quiet and peaceful, very clean, no distractions.

I'm taking mine at the Westbury site soon. I was wondering how early you got there? My exam is at 12pm.

Did you feel any extra nervousness due to just being away from your comfortable surroundings after you started the exam?

Thanks

Hey, I'm taking mine next Tuesday at noon at the center at Westbury, like you I think...? I don't know, the no earplugs thing bothers me... I'm going to call them tomorrow because that would definitely not be fair...

Hey if anyone is still concerned about the Westbury site, I called them and contrary to what someone else had previously posted, they provide you with those huge orange headphones similar to what construction workers wear... or you can bring in earplugs with you.

I a different CBT test at Livingston St in Brooklyn and would definitely recommend. It was one or two stops just out of Manhattan.

1) How are the computers
The Computers are brand new flat screen.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking about but for the most part, everyone was cool and we were all mostly taking different tests. Some people were typing the entire time, which wasn't a distraction for me, but I can see it being a distraction for others (I think you'll have that anywhere though).

I had a booklet of roughly 5 pages (10 sides) of pink/peach scratch paper (regular 8.5 X11 paper - just pink).

Those huge headphones that cover your entire ear. At first I was hesitant about wearing them because I thought they would be uncomfortable and annoying in the sense that I would be very conscious of them while taking the test. However I put them on in the middle of the test and they were so comfortable I didn't even realize I had them on. Furthermore, they completely blocked out all background noise, including the constant typing of other test-takers. I was in my own little test-taking world when I put them on.

Good luck!

Thanx for the info.....:D