NY Times article on vet med profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am really freaking out about taking out these massive loans. I have never owed a penny my entire life. I've never even had a credit card.. I earned a full athletic scholarship for undergrad for swimming that included tuition, books, living; everything. Now, looking at the mountains of debt I am about to take out, is really scaring me...

Stupid question maybe, but do we need credit to get the loans each school is telling us about? When I did my FAFSA, I wasn't asked for a credit score or anything, but will not having a credit card hurt me?

Members don't see this ad.

I am really freaking out about taking out these massive loans. I have never owed a penny my entire life. I've never even had a credit card.. I earned a full athletic scholarship for undergrad for swimming that included tuition, books, living; everything. Now, looking at the mountains of debt I am about to take out, is really scaring me...

Stupid question maybe, but do we need credit to get the loans each school is telling us about? When I did my FAFSA, I wasn't asked for a credit score or anything, but will not having a credit card hurt me?

the general mantra is that you should be able to get loans up to your cost of attendance without a problem

However, I think grad plus loans might be credit based? I can't remember, honestly, I haven't need that loan since first year when I took the full amount of loans because I wasn't sure how much expenses each month would run. Not sure if credit affects whether you can get it or if you just need a co-signer. I'd recommend avoiding them if at all possible - the interest rate is gross. I paid off the small amount I had with them over the summer so it wouldn't be hanging over my head.

Until vet school enrolment drops due to the crushing cost of education and absolutely terrible compensation in practice, we will continue to put ourselves out of business. I dont know how anybody could accept 300K of debt with the prospect of unemployment, abysmal salaries and declining working conditions. Its just not worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone currently at SGU, I am always preaching that you DONT have to use the whole loan allotment each year. I am proof!! I have not taken out the full amount either year, and I do just fine. If you budget and control your spending, you don't have to have all the loan money. You have to have what covers tuition, housing, travel, and food, but you dont need the excess that covers eating out all the time and excessive partying.

SGU is CHEAPER than Ross. Not only is out tuition cheaper, but you are paying for FEWER semesters. We have 6 pre-clinical and a 4th year like the US does. Ross has 7 pre-clinical and a 4th year.

I get it, these are expensive schools, but I get a little bit tired of people pointing them out as examples all the time. What about Western University?! Every single student that attends there pays disgusting amounts of money and they graduate with a US degree. It is cheaper for me to be here than it is for me to be OOS at many schools.

okay okay i'll get off my soap box now.

Oh I did not mean anything negative regarding either school, I would be grateful to have the opportunity to attend any! And yes, I think if you're smart about your spendings and overall expenses, anything is manageable. Especially for me since I'm from NJ, I am looking at OOS tuition either way.

Basically all the elements are against the profession. Enormously increasing supply, slightly decreasing demand, increased cost of entry, and of course increased competition from non-vets (ordering meds on-line, non-vets doing traditional vet jobs etc).

I'm gonna chime in on this that was said earlier about non-vets doing vet jobs... I work at a groomer, and if we wanted to the business could order ANYTHING that's used at a vet office - tools, drugs, even vaccines (all except rabies). We don't offer services that don't involve grooming or boarding, but to think that any animal-related business could get their hands on these kinds of supplies and potentially do simple under-the-table jobs such as vaccines or euthanasia for cheaper than a vet is disheartening (and completely unethical).

I'm gonna chime in on this that was said earlier about non-vets doing vet jobs... I work at a groomer, and if we wanted to the business could order ANYTHING that's used at a vet office - tools, drugs, even vaccines (all except rabies). We don't offer services that don't involve grooming or boarding, but to think that any animal-related business could get their hands on these kinds of supplies and potentially do simple under-the-table jobs such as vaccines or euthanasia for cheaper than a vet is disheartening (and completely unethical).

Is that really true? I'm sure it's not for Euthasol or the like because that is a controlled substance. But anytime you want to order something from a pet pharmacy you have to have a prescription and I'm pretty sure the pet pharmacy still has to employ a vet on their end to get the drugs in the first place.

Not a chance. There is absolutely no way you could order barbiturates, opiates (or any controlled drugs), antibiotics, vaccines, prescription medications etc. Nobody is going to sell those to you without a prescription or without a DEA license.

Not a chance. There is absolutely no way you could order barbiturates, opiates (or any controlled drugs), antibiotics, vaccines, prescription medications etc. Nobody is going to sell those to you without a prescription or without a DEA license.

False on the vaccines. I have been the assistant manager of a tack store for several years and we have no problem ordering dog and horse vaccines through a veterinary supply company. I agree on the rest, but vaccines are very easy to get. We do not DO any vaccination, but owners can buy and self-vaccinate (not my say in the business to offer this, I use a vet and advocate customers do also if asked, so don't chastise me for saying this).

ETA: Maybe this is state law?

You cannot order controlled drugs, but you can order antibiotics (especially for horses) and all vaccines except for rabies. Its super easy to just go down to TSC and they will sell it to anyone.

Here's an example http://www.tractorsupply.com/durvet-reg-canine-spectra-5-trade-single-dose-with-syringe-2451312

You cannot order controlled drugs, but you can order antibiotics (especially for horses) and all vaccines except for rabies. Its super easy to just go down to TSC and they will sell it to anyone.

Here's an example http://www.tractorsupply.com/durvet-reg-canine-spectra-5-trade-single-dose-with-syringe-2451312

Yeah... The availablilty of Pen at the farm supply stores is very disturbing to me. I had one new employee tell a customer to go to the nearest farm supply store to get some when she told the customer we didn't carry antibiotics. I almost killed her, and quickly informed her of the various ways she could have gotten the horse or handler killed and the store involved in a lawsuit for that bit of helpful advice. :mad:

Yeah... The availablilty of Pen at the farm supply stores is very disturbing to me. I had one new employee tell a customer to go to the nearest farm supply store to get some when she told the customer we didn't carry antibiotics. I almost killed her, and quickly informed her of the various ways she could have gotten the horse or handler killed and the store involved in a lawsuit for that bit of helpful advice. :mad:

I totally agree. And what is even more sad is that for a lot of horse diseases antibiotics can be a very bad thing and can make the horse even more sick or it could do nothing at all. It's really dumb.

I have too, and I still pretty much believe it.

"Why don't you just ask your parents for money?" is still the favorite thing anyone has ever said to me during vet school.

People also still ask me why I work so much during the school year. Because I'm poor, m-fers!

False on the vaccines. I have been the assistant manager of a tack store for several years and we have no problem ordering dog and horse vaccines through a veterinary supply company. I agree on the rest, but vaccines are very easy to get. We do not DO any vaccination, but owners can buy and self-vaccinate (not my say in the business to offer this, I use a vet and advocate customers do also if asked, so don't chastise me for saying this).

ETA: Maybe this is state law?

Yeah, they're definitely pretty easy to get at Tractor Supply-type places. I don't know of anyone who gives their dogs and cats vaccinations themselves. However, I used to raise goats, and most people give their goats CD/T vaccinations and de-wormers themselves. In my 4-H club, we (along with everyone else who was showing a food animal) were required to attend a presentation every year where we were shown how to give our animals vaccines properly and how to read withdrawal dates.

Members don't see this ad :)
although it is not manufactured or sold in the US, i bet it wouldn't be too difficult to get your hands on T-61, a non-controlled substance euthanasia solution. It sickens me to know this drug is still in existence after reading about it because of what will happen to the animal if not given in a very specific manner, but its cheap and easy and used in Canada and elsewhere in the world, including Grenada.

"Why don't you just ask your parents for money?" is still the favorite thing anyone has ever said to me during vet school.

People also still ask me why I work so much during the school year. Because I'm poor, m-fers!
:thumbup: Full time student and full time job, the only way to get by these days it seems.

So... was that argument memorable because of content? Or because you were right and sumstorm was wrong? ;)

Memorable because we were both right to a degree, and I kind of respected SumStorm a little more after that. She made a reasonable argument without being contrary just for the heck of it.

:thumbup: Full time student and full time job, the only way to get by these days it seems.

Agreed. I had at least one (often two) part time or weekend job(s) all through vet school until fourth year. Also all through college.

Ironic in some ways because my parents are very well off. As in, very. However, they instilled in me a hardcore work ethic. I've had jobs ever since I was old enough to apply for a work permit and they made it clear that, although my undergrad had been paid for by a fund my grandmother had set up, that vet school would be on me - and I was totally fine with. I was an adult, going to vet school was my choice, and they were under no obligation whatsoever to pay for my schooling.

Unfortunately, I think that they thought they were too hard on me in retrospect. Hence them spoiling the crap out of my leech of a younger brother, basically paying all his rent/bills/tickets/etc.....

This really makes me want to just apply to my IS. Like others have said the most concerning thing is the possibility of not having a job after graduation. And then to have 300,000 in debt hanging over your head... super stressful. I already know two clinics that I'd have a good possibility of working for but who knows what the job market will look like by then.

I was planning on applying more broadly next cycle, but this is making me think otherwise...

This really makes me want to just apply to my IS. Like others have said the most concerning thing is the possibility of not having a job after graduation. And then to have 300,000 in debt hanging over your head... super stressful. I already know two clinics that I'd have a good possibility of working for but who knows what the job market will look like by then.

I was planning on applying more broadly next cycle, but this is making me think otherwise...

Honestly, I waited for an acceptance from our IS because of cost. I am so glad to be paying 22k a year versus 55k. And while you wait you can work to save for school. One of my good friends only took out loans for first year tuition because she spent the year she was waitlisted saving for the inevitability of school and was able to pay for a full year of living out of savings.

Everyone should do what's right for them but I personally wouldn't go abroad/OOS knowing that WSU looks fondly on multiple time applicants that improve aps. Just look at Abney and me (both 3x applicants who worked to improve and got into WSU on our third try). Other people are forced to go elsewhere when they are from hyper competitive states or don't have IS (Cali and New Jersey respectively).

Just my 2 cents.

Some of these comments irritate me something fierce. First off they are completely devaluing education. If there weren't so many degree mills out there with all their online programs and cheap bachelors degrees and plenty of free money to obtain them then the value of higher education in the country wouldn't be so low. The government advocating that everyone go back to school and get an education is bull****, and just gave all these for profit schools a massive influx of students and thus profit.

Next what do these people think I should be doing with my life, what job/career should I obtain? A lawyer hell no, that career has been in the pits longer then vet med, a car mechanic?, receptionist? pilot? Hair stylist? What career/job now a days actually makes you a decent wage that you can live comfortably on and not be a burden to society?

Not sure if this is the place for this part of the conversation...

but...

I was talking about some different possibilities for my future in vet med (I have never really been interested in being a GP)...

He was describing a number of things that he thought would make sense for me, all of which I pretty much agreed with..

I then asked "but do I really need to get a VMD to do any of those?"...

<crickets....silence... crickets... silence>

Yeah. That was uncomfortable.

After the likelihood of me getting a residency approached zero, I started to view things a bit differently.

Honestly, I waited for an acceptance from our IS because of cost. I am so glad to be paying 22k a year versus 55k. And while you wait you can work to save for school. One of my good friends only took out loans for first year tuition because she spent the year she was waitlisted saving for the inevitability of school and was able to pay for a full year of living out of savings.

Everyone should do what's right for them but I personally wouldn't go abroad/OOS knowing that WSU looks fondly on multiple time applicants that improve aps. Just look at Abney and me (both 3x applicants who worked to improve and got into WSU on our third try). Other people are forced to go elsewhere when they are from hyper competitive states or don't have IS (Cali and New Jersey respectively).

Just my 2 cents.

I didn't know they looked favorable on repeat applicants, that is great! It's something I'll have to think about. I think with the improvements I've made/will be making I will put myself in a good position for WSU (hopefully ;)). And I would feel so much more secure going into vet school with some extra money in the bank.

Some of these comments irritate me something fierce. First off they are completely devaluing education. If there weren't so many degree mills out there with all their online programs and cheap bachelors degrees and plenty of free money to obtain them then the value of higher education in the country wouldn't be so low. The government advocating that everyone go back to school and get an education is bull****, and just gave all these for profit schools a massive influx of students and thus profit.

Next what do these people think I should be doing with my life, what job/career should I obtain? A lawyer hell no, that career has been in the pits longer then vet med, a car mechanic?, receptionist? pilot? Hair stylist? What career/job now a days actually makes you a decent wage that you can live comfortably on and not be a burden to society?

I completely agree. Not everyone should go to college, period.

And I don't mean that in some sort of grandiose, holier-than-thou way. I have an immense respect for mechanics, plumbers, construction people, welders, etc. People in these "blue collar" jobs are the lifeblood of society. I may have all these fancy degrees, but I have no clue how the engine in my car works, or what to do if I want to build a house.

What we need is the reemergence of trade schools which seem to have gone by the wayside in many areas. All this talk of "everyone should have a college education" is blatantly false and 1) devalues trade schools and apprenticeship programs and 2) makes people who don't really want to go to college feel like they have to, and incur a huge amount of debt for a useless degree.

I am extremely thankful that I was accepted to my IS school and that I won't graduate with an absurd amount of debt. Honestly, if I was looking at 200-300k in loans, I don't know if I could do it. What really scares me is the possibility of not finding a job. I am from an area that has quite a few clinics, and I would love to return there after school. However, I'm just afraid that I will apply everywhere and not get anything. I couldn't imagine having a huge debt looming over me too. Depressing....

I figured it out an app developer. That's where the money is!

What career/job now a days actually makes you a decent wage that you can live comfortably on and not be a burden to society?

I can't really think of one profession that is doing well right now. Nursing is booming; everyone seems to be going into it. However, I often wonder whether or not there will be a glut in the next four to eight years when everyone starts graduating.

I know a lot of people with chemistry and engineering degrees that seem to be able to pick up jobs, but maybe that's just in my region of the country.

I am worried about the debt I will have to incur as a result of my educational choice, but I'm willing to take the chance because my debt will be "reasonable". Unfortunately because of where I live in the country, it will be expensive either way since my IS is EXPENSIVE and OOS is just as much.

And I don't mean that in some sort of grandiose, holier-than-thou way. I have an immense respect for mechanics, plumbers, construction people, welders, etc. People in these "blue collar" jobs are the lifeblood of society. I may have all these fancy degrees, but I have no clue how the engine in my car works, or what to do if I want to build a house.

What we need is the reemergence of trade schools which seem to have gone by the wayside in many areas. All this talk of "everyone should have a college education" is blatantly false and 1) devalues trade schools and apprenticeship programs and 2) makes people who don't really want to go to college feel like they have to, and incur a huge amount of debt for a useless degree.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I couldn't agree more. My brother is very smart and is about to graduate high school. He wants to be a car mechanic--he's always loved cars. His adviser is always pressuring him and telling him that he "could go to college anywhere and do anything he wants," but he doesn't want that. His 3 year program at the community college will cost less than one semester of vet school for me. :/

I can't really think of one profession that is doing well right now. Nursing is booming; everyone seems to be going into it. However, I often wonder whether or not there will be a glut in the next four to eight years when everyone starts graduating.

I know a lot of people with chemistry and engineering degrees that seem to be able to pick up jobs, but maybe that's just in my region of the country.

I am worried about the debt I will have to incur as a result of my educational choice, but I'm willing to take the chance because my debt will be "reasonable". Unfortunately because of where I live in the country, it will be expensive either way since my IS is EXPENSIVE and OOS is just as much.
My boyfriend is an ICU nurse and had to move across the state to get a job...It took him 9 months after he graduated undergrad. So yes, although there are shortages in nurses, most hospitals (at least in my state), did not want new grads, even new grads with college degrees in nursing... My friend in another state had the same problem. Although there is a shortage of something doesn't mean its a sure thing to find a job right away.

My boyfriend is an ICU nurse and had to move across the state to get a job...It took him 9 months after he graduated undergrad. So yes, although there are shortages in nurses, most hospitals (at least in my state), did not want new grads, even new grads with college degrees in nursing... My friend in another state had the same problem. Although there is a shortage of something doesn't mean its a sure thing to find a job right away.

My boyfriend has a somewhat similar situation, although not in nursing. He graduated with his degree in Pharmacology from a very prestigious university. It took him a year to find the job he's currently in and it didn't require more than a high school diploma.

*sighs* I guess the take home message is, job market = not so good.

I agree as well. I think the stigma that exists in a lot of circles against trade schools and apprenticeships is absurd. And not only does the whole "everyone should go to college" idea make people go to schools they don't want to go to/won't do well in, it creates an atmosphere at many colleges of "I'm here because it's what's expected" not of "I'm here because I want to learn valuable skills, information and ways of thinking/problem solving," which I think should really be the point of higher education - whether that higher education is college or a trade school.

:thumbup: Could not agree more. Problem now is the bachelor degree is the new high school diploma. I agree though, trade and apprentice training needs to be stressed and awarded more to employers. After all it produces better trained employees.

I'm glad so many agree. I had a class in business school graduate level I might add, where we were given a project to figure out how to deal with all the industry leaving the United States and going overseas, only to leave deserted towns with no customers to support the service industry. A vast majority of my classmates who are all highly educated individuals advocated education to make all the unemployed industry workers more competitive for other jobs.

When I raised my hands and said you know what I bet most of those employees had no issues installing gears in machinery. Its what they have always done and I'm sure the waitress that served his family dinner every other Saturday night was just as content with her job. I ended with some people are meant to be waitresses and some people and meant to build machines. I have never seen so many stark white faces, there were so many rebuttals about how everyone needs an education and I was condemning people to poverty by saying that.

However its so true. My professor came up to me after class and told me he agreed with everything I said, however he didn't back me up in front of the class.

Agreed 100% with all of this post. The problem as I see it is that the "demand to be a vet" is so high by so many people that schools are opening more seats than the public's "need to have vets". If there weren't these many expansions and there were more limitations on the number of vets graduating per year, those of us graduating would be in better shape. Of course, that would make the competition to get into vet school even tougher if we didn't add more seats or schools and more people would be rejected every year. For those of us who had the good grades, GRE scores, research experience, etc all along, it wouldn't be a problem, but I don't necessarily think making the application process more "number-intensive" is the way to go either.

Last edited:
I don't think I'll be going to CSU. Even though my parents can help with a lot of it, I refuse to accept their offer with the risk of not getting a job when I graduate. My boss isn't worried for me, she said she was explained the same odds before she went to vet school, but that was 5 years ago.

Honestly I don't even know if I will continue in vet med. It just doesn't sound worth it. Financial security is very important to me and I don't think I will have that. I cannot go to CSU this fall feeling this way. I will have anxiety attacks every day.

I love vet med, but I don't love it this much. We'll see if I get into Oklahoma, if not, I just dunno. Kudos to everyone keeping on.

Here's to our futures!

I'm glad all of this has been coming up in conversation.

For the past 2 months since I found out I was accepted into the University of Edinburgh, I have been wrestling with the decision to attend (I was not accepted into my IS - Cornell). While the cost is on par with almost every OOS school, I worry how the debt might cripple me from having kids, trying to balance work, family and life, the ability to have savings, buy a home and try to pay that and loans off simultaneously, etc....

I keep wondering if I should get a Ph. D in something like Animal Behavior and Neuroscience like a program they have at Emory. With a Ph. D I would likely get an assistanceship that would cover tuition and a living stipend of usually about $25,000/ yr (double what i make now).

But the job market is flooded with starving Ph. D's as well, I would be contact teaching but in ten years after I have done a Ph. D and post-dic, finding a job as a professor will probably be doubly hard as it is now - and if not a professor - what other jobs would be afforded to me?

With moving to Scotland and going to vet school - I have to worry about massive amounts of debt, where my parents can't help me at all and I have to take the full burden and no savings due to undergrad. With that, its a world-renowned university with top-tier professors. Who what personal growth and opportunities moving to Europe would bring? I would get to start a new life away from drama here, work and learn about medicine and animals all day, and live in a vibrant dynamic environment with weather more mild than Buffalo, NY. It's be slightly easier to get a job but again, the debt worries me that I would end up hating it due to bitterness of having the long-continued burden of debt.

It feels like a no-win situation in ether pathway. I want the education and life-changing ability Edinburgh would bring but not the debt, and I want the lack of debt of a Ph. D but the ability to work with animals and have a job where I can support a family...

How do I choose?

(sorry for rant, just been weighing alot and like to hear how you all think about these things since we are all in similar boats)

We are pretty much in exactly the same position! I was accepted to Edinburgh and while I want to go for all the reasons you mention above I'm hesitant for all the reasons mentioned in the article.

I just started an awesome job at home working with animals with ok pay and have been offered another job paying $45k a year. Part of me thinks I should just go with this for awhile, save up, and revisit vet school when I won't have to take out $200k+ in loans.

I think we've already agreed that the financial situation for vet students sucks.

So my question is: how are all of you planning on handling the debt?

I've considered the Army Veterinary Corps, as I think that's a field I could do well in, but their scholarship program is extremely competitive and since I have zero military history, I'm unlikely to be accepted. I looked into some of the loan repayment programs, especially since I'm interested in LA, but I'm quickly discovering that those do not work the way they were intended to. Right now, the only plan I'm left with is to hope to God that I get a decent paying job soon after I graduate and live as modestly as possible for as long as I can.

Does anyone have any better ideas?

Well....I think postponing vet school to save up money to avoid debt might be the best option. Also taking out handsome life insurance policies on family members (f&$%#d up, but you know, think of the future!)

I don't care about being rich, but I certainly do care about not being able to afford to buy a house/car/have kids/travel/have a pet.

I think we've already agreed that the financial situation for vet students sucks.

So my question is: how are all of you planning on handling the debt?

I've considered the Army Veterinary Corps, as I think that's a field I could do well in, but their scholarship program is extremely competitive and since I have zero military history, I'm unlikely to be accepted. I looked into some of the loan repayment programs, especially since I'm interested in LA, but I'm quickly discovering that those do not work the way they were intended to. Right now, the only plan I'm left with is to hope to God that I get a decent paying job soon after I graduate and live as modestly as possible for as long as I can.

Marry rich? Just kidding... Sort of. I'm married but to a person interested in a similarity underpaid profession (academia). We plan to take out the least we can while I'm in school (like us working to pay for living expenses) and then living very modestly after graduation. Lower middle class is all I hope for.

Well....I think postponing vet school to save up money to avoid debt might be the best option. Also taking out handsome life insurance policies on family members (f&$%#d up, but you know, think of the future!)

I don't care about being rich, but I certainly do care about not being able to afford to buy a house/car/have kids/travel/have a pet.

Just be aware that tuition is only going to go up. So if you postpone for four years, for example, tuition may $30,000 more expensive when you apply. And that was four years you are not paying your dues and working your way up through a clinic (and making a veterinarian's salary, however meager). Just something to think about.

I guess that I think perhaps tuition will not just keep going up....sooner or later, the bubble's got to burst

it will until people aren't willing to pay it to follow their dream.

i'm not sure i see this happening. it might eventually discourage a lot of potential applicants, but i don't think schools will ever have trouble filling their seats each year unfortunately. :(

Marry rich? Just kidding... Sort of.

Yeah no joke. That second income actually is going to play a huge role in a lot of people's ability to live and pay off their student loans. As long as my serious SO and I stay together, my career will always be the less important of the two of us as his salary will be what allows me to actually pay off my loans without IBR.

it will until people aren't willing to pay it to follow their dream

and we all know how that goes... this profession is like the epitome of sacrificing everything to "follow your dreams." It's going to take a LOT of hardship before that happens.

Just be aware that tuition is only going to go up. So if you postpone for four years, for example, tuition may $30,000 more expensive when you apply. And that was four years you are not paying your dues and working your way up through a clinic (and making a veterinarian's salary, however meager). Just something to think about.

My thoughts exactly! You may be saving up money for school, but it may not matter if tuition keeps going up during those years...Plus, if the applicant pool gets even more competitive, there may be less of a chance of acceptance.
And let's not forget that you need to start retaking tests after 5 years and repeating science courses after 10 (more $)!
Well, there's that "between a rock and a hard place" that we see all too often nowadays :mad: :eek: :(

Well, now for a potentially very unpopular opinion on the admittedly ridiculous debt situation, but a different view that what has been presented.

Regarding the debt I'm incurring as an OOS student, I mostly don't care, really and truly. My situation is pretty different than most other vet students. I started college in my late 20's with the only intention of pursing vet med after a, well, difficult and financially strapped life before hand (to put in mildly). I have not only had to choose between gas and food, I didn't even have a car and had to choose between eating or paying rent. So, while obviously I will graduate with enormous debt, I still believe that I will find a steady job, enough to keep myself fed and under a roof. That's all I really need. Do I want more, yes, but it's not necessary. Finding this profession gave me a purpose and drive that I would never have found elsewhere, allowing me to become a person far better than I would have ever expected from myself. Paying $300,000 (including undergrad) to have taken the journey that I have, to become who I now am, is frankly priceless to me. And the best part is that the journey is not even close to ending, I've only just begun.
I also will not be having children and am in a two income household (well, two incomes when I finally start making money instead of just incurring debt)
Judge me if you will for my financial naivety, but without this profession my prospects of making a real living were almost non existent. Even a meager living as a vet is better than a lifetime of menial labor at minimum wage.

Well, now for a potentially very unpopular opinion on the admittedly ridiculous debt situation, but a different view that what has been presented.

Regarding the debt I'm incurring as an OOS student, I mostly don't care, really and truly. My situation is pretty different than most other vet students. I started college in my late 20's with the only intention of pursing vet med after a, well, difficult and financially strapped life before hand (to put in mildly). I have not only had to choose between gas and food, but between eating or paying rent. So, while obviously I will graduate with enormous debt, I still believe that I will find a steady job, enough to keep myself fed and under a roof. That's all I really need. Do I want more, yes, but it's not necessary. Finding this profession gave me a purpose and drive that I would never have found elsewhere, allowing me to become a person far better than I would have ever expected from myself. Paying $300,000 (including undergrad) to have taken the journey that I have, to become who I now am, is frankly priceless to me. And the best part is that the journey is not even close to ending, I've only just begun.
I also will not be having children and am in a two income household (well, two income when I finally start making money instead of just incurring debt)
Judge me if you will for my financial naivety, but without this profession my prospects of making a real living were almost non existent. Even a meager living as a vet is better than a lifetime of menial labor at minimum wage.

I don't think anyone will judge you for financial naivety. You know what you want for yourself and your family life. But I will be interested to know how you feel a few years into paying off debt (that goes for everyone, btw).

Personally, I'd like to see a change because I want people in our profession to be successful and comfortable. If you feel you can do that with the way things are, great! I think it is getting out of hand, but that is my opinion

I don't think this is so much financial naivety as much as it is a different perspective.

Your perspective is just as valid as anyone else's.And I'm glad for you that you have such a positive way of thinking. Unfortunately, my perspective isn't as positive. I've never considered it as the difference for me between meager living as a vet vs. a lifetime of menial labor at minimum wage.

Maybe in some peoples eyes that makes me a brat. But again... just a matter of perspective.

Well, now for a potentially very unpopular opinion on the admittedly ridiculous debt situation, but a different view that what has been presented... Even a meager living as a vet is better than a lifetime of menial labor at minimum wage.

I agree, but do you really think you'd be choosing only between a minimum wage job and being a veterinarian? I've pursued a variety of careers before veterinary school including research and teaching, and while I would much prefer to get a job as a veterinarian, at the end of the day if I had to find a temporary position doing something else, I'd do whatever it takes to pay the bills.

While I don't think I'd have to go back to working at a bar, it was nice being able to see awesome bands for free every night.