NY Times: "Dr. Arnold Gold, 92, Dies; Made Compassionate Care a Cause"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ekmf27050

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A sad loss, but an inspiring counter to the MCAT/application/premed doom and gloom that comes with winter:

"Dr. Arnold Gold, a pediatric neurologist whose belief in the importance of an empathetic bedside manner led him and his wife to create a foundation to inspire young doctors to practice compassionate patient care, died on Jan. 23 in Manhattan. He was 92.

His wife, Sandra Gold, confirmed his death.

“You’re only half a physician if you’re just good at your craft,” Dr. Gold said in an interview in 2016 for the Arnold P. Gold Foundation. “Unless it’s coupled with patient-centered care and humanism, it’s suboptimal care.” "

And my favorite excerpt:
"At home that night, he told his wife of his concerns about where medicine was headed. As he recalled, she told him, “You know, Arnold, I’m tired of you griping about medicine. Do something about it or shut up.” "

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for sharing.

He was by all accounts a wonderful man leaving a legacy of compassion and humanism that we all could stand to learn from.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow. What a life and a legacy. May he rest in peace.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thrilled that my top schools have a strong humanism component - I didn't realize how important it was to me until the schools emphasized it at our interviews and it just dawned on me that I wanted to go to a school that valued this trait in physicians. Great article - I'm so glad you shared!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm thrilled that my top schools have a strong humanism component - I didn't realize how important it was to me until the schools emphasized it at our interviews and it just dawned on me that I wanted to go to a school that valued this trait in physicians. Great article - I'm so glad you shared!
Glad you all enjoyed the read! My experiences on the patient side of things have let me personally see the value of compassionate care. I've also been fortunate to work with compassionate doctors, and watch them as role models. I agree that a school that can truly work to convey those principles is very valuable!

Reactions: 1 user