NYC Area Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fallen625

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying exclusively to NYC area internships, coming from a CBT program outside of NYC. I wanted to ask for advice for NYC locals regarding internships in the area. I am super super research focused (i.e., a modest amount of clinical hours, lots of pubs, NSF grant funding - it's pretty obvious I want a research career) and have been mostly trained in CBT/ACT, so one concern is that a fair amount of the programs in NYC are psychodynamic / not super research-y. My research and clinical focus is in eating disorders and obesity and mindfulness, so any programs focusing on these areas would be best fits.

I wanted to ask if anyone local to NYC had any advice regarding which programs to apply to? So far on my list I have Weill Cornell, Montefiore, Yale, Columbia, Bellevue, Jacobi, Bronx VA, West Haven VA, Princeton House, Woodhull, Stony Brook, Hudson Valley VA, Trinitas, LIJ, Northport VAMC, Manhattan VA, St. Luke's.

Any thoughts on these programs? Any other good internships in NYC I should look into?

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying exclusively to NYC area internships, coming from a CBT program outside of NYC. I wanted to ask for advice for NYC locals regarding internships in the area. I am super super research focused (i.e., a modest amount of clinical hours, lots of pubs, NSF grant funding - it's pretty obvious I want a research career) and have been mostly trained in CBT/ACT, so one concern is that a fair amount of the programs in NYC are psychodynamic / not super research-y. My research and clinical focus is in eating disorders and obesity and mindfulness, so any programs focusing on these areas would be best fits.

I wanted to ask if anyone local to NYC had any advice regarding which programs to apply to? So far on my list I have Weill Cornell, Montefiore, Yale, Columbia, Bellevue, Jacobi, Bronx VA, West Haven VA, Princeton House, Woodhull, Stony Brook, Hudson Valley VA, Trinitas, LIJ, Northport VAMC, Manhattan VA, St. Luke's.

Any thoughts on these programs? Any other good internships in NYC I should look into?

Could I ask why you are restricting yourself geographically?

Husband is pretty senior in private equity and it will be difficult for him to find jobs outside of NYC. Given that we have kids and he makes a lot more than I do, it makes sense to me to prioritize his career. Plus given that I am research focused I am ok with matching at an internship that might not be the best for me.

I know this is not the best idea for most people, but I have thought about this a ton and it is best for our family.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Bellevue last year if you have any questions about that when the time comes.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you recall when you heard about interviews and if they were done in waves? Thanks!

I heard back Nov 22 last year and I do believe that invites came in waves because I recall thinking I had not been offered an interview when I saw others posting.

You may have limited options, but I do feel obligated to note that Yale is probably not a good fit for someone with a strong research background. At least not as good as you might imagine.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed at Bellevue last year if you have any questions about that when the time comes.

You may have limited options, but I do feel obligated to note that Yale is probably not a good fit for someone with a strong research background. At least not as good as you might imagine.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

Thank you to both of you. Sending you both a PM!

I heard back Nov 22 last year and I do believe that invites came in waves because I recall thinking I had not been offered an interview when I saw others posting.

I find it hard to believe that the university campus that was specifically designed for the rapture isn't research heavy!

If anyone else is from NYC or has insight into any of these places (or other NYC area internships) - please PM me. I am interviewing at a lot of these sites now and would love insight into these sites to help with ranking!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile