NYC Away EM Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

praying4MD

2K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some solid info about doing an EM rotation in NYC?

1. Where would be the best hospital? From what I've read, Lincoln Hospital in the South Bronx offers a really great experience, and the PD is amazing, but I've also heard good things about Bellevue, St. Luke's/Roosevelt and Jacobi/Montefiere. Can anyone shed light on the pros and cons of them?
2. Is there anyone in particular I should work with?
3. How hard did you find it to get LORs considering you don't really work with one single attending you knows you well on EM rotations?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

praying4MD said:
Can anyone give me some solid info about doing an EM rotation in NYC?

1. Where would be the best hospital? From what I've read, Lincoln Hospital in the South Bronx offers a really great experience, and the PD is amazing, but I've also heard good things about Bellevue, St. Luke's/Roosevelt and Jacobi/Montefiere. Can anyone shed light on the pros and cons of them?
2. Is there anyone in particular I should work with?
3. How hard did you find it to get LORs considering you don't really work with one single attending you knows you well on EM rotations?

Thanks in advance.

Depends what you want to see. Bellevue is the designated hospital for Port Authority and the airports. Anyone who is ill at the airport, in the subway, or on the ferry, they get sent to the Bellevue ED, along with all the other random city residents who get sent there, so you can get some interesting tourist/international patients. It's also the designated hospital for the President if s/he needs emergent care in NYC, not that I know of any presidents who have ever been treated there. They have a separate psych ED, which is good if you'd rather not focus on psych evals. Great poison control stuff. Teaching hospital. Located in Manhattan, which is a lot more fun than the South Bronx.

You'll have to ask the ED folks -- and I'd suggest you post this question there -- but I suspect South Bronx outweighs Bellevue for number of gunshot wounds and trauma cases, although Bellevue certainly gets its fair share.

Have fun!

Thanks for your advice. I'm leaning towards the South Bronx or St. Luke's Roosevelt. South Bronx because of the awesome trauma experience I hear about and the autonomy (but I hear the hours are brutal) and St Luke's because everyone that rotates through there seems to have good things to say about it.

Yeah, I think Bellevue sounds like a good academic institution, but I don't know that it offers a lot of hands on experience for a visiting med student.

Thanks again! :)