NYC <--> Boston via bus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

linguini

Hopeful member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

For those of you who've traveled between Boston and NYC via bus, what bus line would you recommend?

I've taken Greyhound before and it was fine, but I know I could get a cheaper ticket. I don't want to take Fung Wah because it will drop me off in China Town and I'm staying with a friend on the upper west. Anyone have experience good or bad with Megabus or Bolt Bus?

Members don't see this ad.

At my AECOM interview, some of the applicants were talking about the different bus lines, and I heard good things about Bolt Bus. I have no personal experience with this, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Take Bolt Bus. Definitely. Tickets are cheap, the buses are VERY clean, and there is free wireless internet. The only problem I have had is the trip taking longer than scheduled...but that's no fault of the bus company, its just traffic.

Members don't see this ad :)
bolt bus is awesome!! but it worse comes to worst, fung wah is not bad. i took it to many interviews in boston and i live up by columbia, so a trek from chinatown but not too bad. esp since subways dont close in nyc likein boston! lol

i ended up taking Bolt Bus for my interview in ny... worked out fine (though a lot of traveling!) they let you bring a small carry-on you can store underneath the bus. i've also heard good things about Mega Bus

Mega Bus or Bolt Bus. Take whichever is cheaper and/or leaves at the appropriate time. Both drop you off at Penn Station. Both have wifi, are clean and are reliable.

I took Megabus from Columbus to Chicago and back, and it was really cheap. The bus was clean, and I don't think there was a limit on the amount of luggage someone could bring. On the way there, though, the driver took the wrong road and we were about 1/2 hour late. Still, I had a really good experience and it only cost me $31 roundtrip (I booked my trip a few months in advance). I think you would be fine either way -- just give yourself time for traffic, detours, etc. :) Good luck!

Mega and bolt are both good, clean, etc.

But I always take chinatown because you don't have to buy tickets ahead of time.

I would not use Fungwah.

Definitely the Bolt Bus. Lots of leg room, free wireless and an outlet in the back of your seat to plug in your computer, electronics, etc. And way cheaper than Greyhound.

I would echo the post that sometimes it takes a bit longer than scheduled (esp New York-> Boston). If you can give yourself ample time, it's the way to go.

haha, no way, Fung Wa is great. I mean, beside how they sometimes get in accidents or break down...

Or catch on fire...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Seems like the general consensus is Bolt Bus so I'm going to go that route.

I'm personally taking AMTRAK train from Philladelphia to Boston...but I don't know if you can do it from NYC..

I'm personally taking AMTRAK train from Philladelphia to Boston...but I don't know if you can do it from NYC..

You definitely can, but it's the priciest option.

Avoid Fungwah like the plague, unless you want to find yourself somewhere in Connecticut next to a broken down bus for 3-4 hours. This happened to me not once, not twice, not three times, but FOUR SEPARATE TIMES.

You definitely can, but it's the priciest option.

Really? It cost me only $80...I thought this was very reasonable... I'm really not a big fan of buses or driving because I hate being stuck in traffic...especially when I'm late for something important such as interview. On the other hand, Philadelphia airport is known for its late departures and delayed flights...especially if it's US Airways and the flight departs in the afternoon or later...so I figured train should be the least stressful option for me and it's much cheaper than flying.

I took the greyhound. it wasn't bad. I felt I needed something reliable and I've traveled through Port Authority before, so I was comfortable with it.
If you get the e-tickets, they cost $36 for round trip. I think it wasn't a bad deal.

Bolt bus is fairly recent, so I've only used it once, but I've used the chinatown & greyhound. I'd recommend bolt or greyhound b/c I find the locations a bit more navigatible. Bolt drops off @ 34th & 8th, right across from Penn Station. AND the Tic Toc Diner is right there!
Chinatown buses get the job done, but I find it can be hard to find where the bus picks up in NYC.

I recall reading a newspaper article several months ago about a passenger who was decapitated on a Greyhound Bus. The perpetrator was carrying the severed head with dripping blood around on the bus which, of course, was disturbing to most of the passengers. When the police arrived, the perpetrator held the severed head up to the window and began laughing hysterically. Probably a good candidate for the insanity defense.

I am not suggesting that this would happen on the bus trip between Boston and New York, or at least such an event is unlikely, but it is something to consider when you make your travel arrangements. The whole episode just struck me as rather peculiar.