NYC Community programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycIMdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ALL!

Sorry for another HELP ME RANK thread :p

I will rank two university based programs first, but I need help of the rest :confused:. If you know the following community/uni affliated programs, please help me rank. I am thinking of doing Hem/Onc or Critical Care Medicine or ID in the future.

1) Einstein - Jacobi
2) St. Luke's Roosevelt
3) St. Vincent (in Manhattan)
4) Beth Israel (NYC)
5) Lenox Hill
6) North Shore (in Long Island)
7) Long Island Jewish
8) Maimonides (in Brooklyn)

Many thanks!!

Best of Luck to ALL of you :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Jacobi is Primary teaching hospital for Einstein not an affiliate.

Montefiore is the main Einstein hospital, not Jacobi.
Still, Jacobi looked like a solid program with great chances of fellowship if you don't want GI. But the workload is very very heavy!!!
All the other hospitals listed are good with decent fellowship chances and a bit more laid back.
I guess the ranking in this case would have to take into account area preferences: do you want to live in Manhattan, LI or Brooklyn? I guess otherwise the programs are quite similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ally, Both Montefiore and Jacobi are primary teaching centers for Einstein but more so for Jacobi. Don't take my word for it but just look up on FREIDA.
Have a good afternoon.

stergs said:
Ally, Both Montefiore and Jacobi are primary teaching centers for Einstein but more so for Jacobi. Don't take my word for it but just look up on FREIDA.
Have a good afternoon.

Jacobi is the primary teaching site (together with Montefiore) of Albert Einstein COM, and IS NOT CONSIDERED to be a community program at all.

In fact, during 1980s, Jacobi IM program was the strongest IM program in NYC, with much better reputation than Columbia or Cornell. Many of my Einstein teachers were rejected for IM residency there.

As far as the workload goes, Montefiore is much more malignant (heavier workload) than Jacobi.

Does anyone know about beth israel?

Many thanks for all the replies! :)

I know the University Hospital for Albert Einstein is Montefiore, so Jacobi is another University Hospital for Einstein and Jacobi is considered as an university program, am I right?

I really like Jacobi, cos' you got 100% service patients and therefore the autonomy there is excellent. Residents seem smart and dedicate which is important. Second year has 3 months of elective and the medical school is right by Jacobi, so if you want to do research, it would be really convenient to set up. Plus, the new building looks great. However, I have a feeling that many 2nd year residents are foreign grad while in Monte, almost everyone is american grad. Is that true? If so, anyone knows why??

I do have a feeling all the other community hospitals look the same. Location is not a problem. Can any one help me to rank the rest? I desperately need a rank list (My rank list is a horizontal line, not a vertical one :scared: ) :smuggrin:

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!! :luck:

The whole process will be over soon !

Yes, right. Jacobi is an university program. If you go to frieda and limit your search by choosing university programs only, you will get a list with Jacobi in it. Do the same with community program limit and Jacobi will not be on the list.

Montefiore has better reputation than Jacobi so it attracts mostly american graduates, although there are always few graduates (5-6 a year) from other countries such as Israel, Romania, Germany, etc.

Montefiore is also much more malignant.

I would rank it this way:

1) Einstein - Jacobi
3) St. Vincent (in Manhattan)
7) Long Island Jewish
4) Beth Israel (NYC)
6) North Shore (in Long Island)
2) St. Luke's Roosevelt
5) Lenox Hill
8) Maimonides (in Brooklyn)

Hi CardiologyDude:

Thanks for your prompt response!! You are awesome.

I have to say we dont see much during the interview and they all say nice things about their own program. Therefore, it is really hard to rank.

Best of luck if you are applying for your fellowship this year :luck:

Many thanks again :)