NYC Externships 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

empathiosis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sites that have extended interview invites as of February 24, 2014

Addiction Institute of New York

Albert Einstein College of Medicine Adolescent Unit (Children's Evaluation and Rehabilitation Center)

Albert Ellis Institute

Aspire Center for Learning and Development

Baruch College Counseling Center

Bellevue -- Adult Inpatient

Bellevue -- Child and Adolescent Day Treatment Program

Bellevue -- Forensic Track

Beth Israel -- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry

Bronx Psychiatric Center -- Male Admissions Unit

Brooklyn College Personal Counseling

Center for Cognitive Behavioral Psychotherapy

CBT/DBT Associates

Child HELP Partnership

Child Mind Institute -- ADHD and Disruptive Behavior Disorders Center

Child Mind Institute -- Anxiety and Mood Disorders Center

Child Mind Institute -- Neuropsychology

Children's Hospital of New York Presbyterian -- General Outpatient Child and Adolescent Psychology

City College of New York Counseling Center

Cognitive and Behavioral Consultants of Westchester and Manhattan

Columbia University Clinic for Anxiety and Related Disorders

Columbia University/NYSPI -- Children's Day Unit

Columbia University/NYSPI -- Lieber Center for Schizophrenia and COPE

Columbia University Medical Center Adult Outpatient

Essex County Hospital Center

Fordham University Counseling and Psychological Services

Gouverneur Health -- Evidence Based Trauma Treatment Track

Gouverneur Health -- Severe Mental Illness Track

Hunter College Counseling Services

Institute for Psychoanalytic Research and Training (IPTAR)

Iona College Counseling Center

Jacobi Medical Center

Jamaica Hospital Medical Center

Jewish Board of Family & Children's Services -- Child Development Center

Jewish Board of Family & Children Services -- J.W. Beatman Community Counseling Center

Jewish Child Care Association

John Jay College of Criminal Justice Counseling Services Center

King's County Hospital Center -- Adult Track

Kirby Forensic Psychiatric Center

Leake and Watts Services

Lenox Hill Hospital Outpatient Center for Mental Health

Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center

Long Island Jewish Medical Center -- ADHD Center

Long Island Jewish Medical Center -- Adolescent Pavilion (Inpatient)

Long Island Jewish Medical Center -- Adult Inpatient Track

Long Island Jewish Medical Center -- Child Psychiatry Ambulatory Services

Long Island Jewish Medical Center -- OCD Track

Long Island Jewish Medical Center -- Trauma Psychology Track

Maimonides -- Adult Inpatient

Maimonides -- Child Adolescent Outpatient Service

Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Neuropsychology Externship

MercyFirst

Montclair State University Counseling Center

Montefiore -- Child and Adolescent Track

Mount Sinai -- Child Outpatient Psychiatry (Learning and Development Center)

Mount Sinai -- Division of Cognitive and Behavioral Neurology

Mount Sinai -- Eating and Weight Disorders Program

Mount Sinai -- Obsessive Compulsive Disorders Treatment Center

National Institute for the Psychotherapies (NIP)

New School Counseling Services

New York City Children's Center -- Queens Campus (aka Queens Children's Psychiatric Center)

New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical College -- Outpatient Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Children and Adolescents

New York Presbyterian, Westchester Division -- Inpatient DBT/Personality Disorders Unit

Newark Beth Israel Medical Center Regional Diagnosis and Treatment Center

Northport VA Medical Center

NYU Child Study Center -- Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinical and Research Program

NYU Child Study Center -- Long Island

NYU Child Study Center -- Institute For Anxiety And Mood Disorders

NYU Counseling and Wellness Services

Queens College Counseling Services

Queens Hospital Center

Pace University Counseling Center

Rebecca School Therapeutic Day School

Reeds Center for the Treatment of Anxiety, OCD and Related Disorders

Rusk Rehabilitation -- New York University Langone Medical Center -- Pediatrics

St. Barnabas Hospital

St. Dominic's Home Family Foster Care

St. Luke's Roosevelt -- Center for Intensive Treatment of Personality Disorders (CITPD)

St. Luke's Roosevelt -- Child and Adolescent Outpatient Treatment

St. Luke's Roosevelt -- Trauma Focused Programs

SUNY Downstate Medical Center Department of Neurology

SUNY Old Westbury Counseling and Psychological Wellness Services

Youth Development Clinic

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i was told by my DCT that the maximum we could apply to was 8 sites. does anyoen know if we apply to more will we get in trouble/be in violation of any of the guidelines?? (im looking to apply to around 10)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been working on externship applications all weekend. How's everyone else doing? Any other NYC people here? I can't wait until Tuesday! We can use this thread to post interview announcements, and I'd be happy to maintain the list. I did last year too. Good luck to all! :)

Applied to Bellevue but they did not reply to my request for confirmation of receipt of my application. Last year, they replied that they hda received it the very next day. Have people been receiving confirmation of application from Bellevue?

Applied to Bellevue but they did not reply to my request for confirmation of receipt of my application. Last year, they replied that they hda received it the very next day. Have people been receiving confirmation of application from Bellevue?

Yes, I received confirmation around 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday.

Well, I guess I will get us started with interview announcements. Mount Sinai Eating and Weight Disorders Program and the Albert Ellis Institute have reached out to schedule interviews. Thank you, empathiosis, for agreeing to maintain the list! Also, similar to the above response, I too received confirmation on Tuesday from Bellevue.

LIJ's Child Psychiatry Ambulatory Services track have reached out to schedule interviews as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I received a rejection from Lincoln Medical today. I think this means invites may have gone out already. I do give them credit for letting me know early.

got an invite for interview today from St. Barnabas

i was notified by phone for st. barnabas. someone in my cohort has also gotten an invite for Bellevue - Forensic track. anyone else heard from Bellevue?

CBT/DBT Associates and the Center for Cognitive Behavioral Psychotherapy have extended interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an invite to interview for the evidence-based trauma track at Gouverneur Health, and a rejection for the trauma track at Bellevue.

If you would rather not post your interview invites, feel free to PM me and I will add them to the list. Congrats to all who have gotten interviews so far!

I received an interview invite from Mount Sinai OCD via email.

received invite from LIJ adult inpatient clinical concentration via email. also received rejection from bellevue trauma via email.

anyone heard from maimonides or jamaica hospital?

Someone just reported an invite from Maimonides studentdoc ... it came by e-mail.

Child Help Partnership has extended interview invites (via email).

Has anyone heard from counseling centers yet? NYU? New School? Brooklyn College?

Cognitive and Behavioral Consultants of Westchester and Manhattan extended interview offers. Someone in my cohort also heard from Montefiore Child and Adolescent Track.

Has anyone heard from St. Luke's Trauma program, or the North Shore LIJ-Trauma psych program?

Haven't heard much at all. Most people are hearing from neuro sites though.

Has anyone heard from any of the st. Luke's programs? Children's hosp of ny pres? Nyu?

Looking at least year's externship thread it seemed to me that most sites didn't start extending interviews until mid-February ... so we may have a couple more weeks of waiting .

Interview list is updated as of yesterday afternoon. Hoping we get more invites today and the rest of the week.

Just heard from the trauma track at LIJ via phone.

The OCD track at LIJ also reached out today via email.

Congrats on the invites! It's great that they allow you to apply for several tracks, unlike some of the other sites.

I just updated the list with 5-6 sites ... If you or your cohort members get an invite and you'd rather not post it yourself, send me a PM and I will post ... Third week is ending soon, but there's still 4 weeks left, so don't lose hope!

List has been updated with an additional 5 sites. We're up to 47 sites reported now.

8 more sites added to the list this morning! Thanks to everyone who is sending me info to update it! I think the week ahead will bring many more invites.

Baruch college counseling center and Bellevue Adult Inpatient Psychology Track has already extended invitations about a week ago

Has anyone heard from NYU Counseling Center? Or Gouverneur Inpatient, Queens Hospital Center or Bronx Psychiatric?

4 new sites added to the list, which now contains 73 sites -- 31% of the sites on the FDU wiki. If you or someone you know has received an invite to a site that is not on the list, please let me know!

Last edited:
Tomorrow ends the 4th week of this process. Just 3 more to go and we're done! We're up to 77 sites reported. Please let me know if you or your classmates have received invites to any sites not on the list. The week ahead should be a busy one! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Tomorrow is the two week mark, which means fewer than 10 days left for interviews. I am assuming that the latest date anyone would hear from a site would be Friday, February 28. Does that sound reasonable?

If any of you have been invited to sites that aren't on the list, please let me know soon! I thank you and the folks still waiting for invites thank you.

I had my final interview this morning. Now it's just the wait ... By this time next week we should all have some offers! How is everyone doing?

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! In only twelve hours we will know who likes us and wants us to train at their site!

It would be great if people felt comfortable posting offers, but if you don't, feel free to PM me your offers, and I will indicate them on the master list. It might be helpful to know who has received offers to help us with our decision-making.

does anyone know of any summer child/adolescent assessment externships? thanks!

If anyone is still looking for a placement or knows someone who is, Queens Hospital Center still has a spot. They called me on Friday, but I accepted an offer on Monday.