NYC Family Medicine Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in a Family Practice residency in Manhattan. The only FM residencies in Manhattan (of which there are two) have an almost 90% Spanish speaking population. I have nothing against Hispanic people, I just would really prefer to learn the practice of medicine in a predominately English-speaking atmosphere. That being said, I love Manhattan and want to live and practice there. I know there are a lot of FM residencies in the Bronx and also Brooklyn. My question is does anyone have insight on a great NYC FM residency that is in a location that would give me a very reasonable commute back to Manhattan where I hope to reside?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Take a look at programs in New Jersey. Some of them are easily commutable and are probably as close as some in the NYC boroughs.

Members don't see this ad :)
UMDNJ/Hoboken - commute from NYC via subway and PATH.

The rest are a reasonable commute by car:
Overlook - Summit
JFK - Edison
Mountainside - Verona/Glen Ridge
St. Joe's - Clifton/Paterson

An alternative to living in NYC is Hoboken. 5 minutes to NYC via PATH, cheaper rent (still pricey) and NYC style nightlife (tons of bars and restaurants). A very nice place to live, especially for singles.

I am interested in a Family Practice residency in Manhattan. The only FM residencies in Manhattan (of which there are two) have an almost 90% Spanish speaking population. I have nothing against Hispanic people, I just would really prefer to learn the practice of medicine in a predominately English-speaking atmosphere. That being said, I love Manhattan and want to live and practice there. I know there are a lot of FM residencies in the Bronx and also Brooklyn. My question is does anyone have insight on a great NYC FM residency that is in a location that would give me a very reasonable commute back to Manhattan where I hope to reside?

Thanks!

Any FP residency in NYC is going to be serving large immigrant populations, whether Hispanic or non-Hispanic. 1 in 3 NYC dwellers are Hispanic/Latino.

I don't dispute that the residency program in northern Manhattan lacks a diverse population in terms of ethnicity (having trained there) -- but you will still learn the practice of medicine in a predominantly English-speaking atmosphere...all the faculty speak English, as are all the hospital and clinic staff, as are all the conferences, etc. However, you have to want to work with that type of urban underserved patient population and it doesn't sound like it would be a good fit for you.

I'm pretty sure Beth Israel's program has a more diverse patient population, particularly in the outpatient setting. They have great faculty down there and I think the hospital sponsors housing for residents. When I was a resident, several of my faculty were recent BI grads and they were top notch.

Montefiore is the other big program in NYC, the "granddaddy of them all". they serve a large immigrant population.

Downstate medical center in brooklyn is another established program -- but again, lots of caribbean immigrants

Jamaica's FP residency has laid down some strong roots out in Queens...again, lots of immigrants.

you get the picture.

Thanks!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you want to even consider residency let alone working anywhere within the 5 boroughs, your income depends on learning another language. Spanish is by far the most valuable. Followed by IMO Russian, French, Cantonese, Hindi, Bengali, Arabic in any order you wish.

If not, then you will find mostly English speaking patients in the Midwest (although I doubt that now a days) and the deep suburbs of any major area (doubt that too).

Resurrecting this thread!

I have been taking all this advice to heart and think that, as an above poster Jersey mentioned, UMDNJ in Hoboken would be a great fit for me. Does anyone have any experience or input about their program? Easy to match into as a DO?

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Any FP residency in NYC is going to be serving large immigrant populations, whether Hispanic or non-Hispanic. 1 in 3 NYC dwellers are Hispanic/Latino.

I don't dispute that the residency program in northern Manhattan lacks a diverse population in terms of ethnicity (having trained there) -- but you will still learn the practice of medicine in a predominantly English-speaking atmosphere...all the faculty speak English, as are all the hospital and clinic staff, as are all the conferences, etc. However, you have to want to work with that type of urban underserved patient population and it doesn't sound like it would be a good fit for you.

I'm pretty sure Beth Israel's program has a more diverse patient population, particularly in the outpatient setting. They have great faculty down there and I think the hospital sponsors housing for residents. When I was a resident, several of my faculty were recent BI grads and they were top notch.

Montefiore is the other big program in NYC, the "granddaddy of them all". they serve a large immigrant population.

Downstate medical center in brooklyn is another established program -- but again, lots of caribbean immigrants

Jamaica's FP residency has laid down some strong roots out in Queens...again, lots of immigrants.

you get the picture.

any thoughts on how the programs compare to each other? which is most "desirable"?

Does anyone have any information about how Family Medicine programs in the New York tri-state area compare? Anyone have any experience as a resident in one?
Thank you.

Cornell has a fm program, I do not know about it though as an IMG they would not let me rotate, Beth I is a great program and I am sure they would be very receptive, plus it is also in a great location. I did rotations in Brooklyn and the Bronx and I got by with no understanding of anything but english. I would say the Bronx esp. south Bronx has a very dense spanish speaking population and the programs stressed that to the interviewers. I am just a soon to be intern, but I did very much love doing all of my rotations in NYC and I did live in Manhattan the whole time, but when I was offered prematches I wanted to get out. To me it seemed I was basically doing IM or a special type of NYC urgent care (in clinic) and while I would not trade my training (sooo many patients, awesome diversity, and sooo hands on:thumbup:). I am more of a Dances with Wolves than a Goodfellas :) (same year in he oscars). although both were great...I will miss the city and visit often:D

Last edited: