NYC hotels near Columbia!! (emergency, please help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oompa loompa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to a lot of last minute changes, I can no longer stay with my student host, and I think it'd be best to find a hotel. I wasn't terribly excited to stay in Bard Hall anyway. The only problem, it's New York City, and every decent hotel is so freakin expensive.

I found this site:
http://www.byrate.com/hotels_points_of_interest/New_York/NY/US/1236
But I'm not familiar with a lot of the places on there, and Comfort Inn is $117?!!

Has anyone who's interviewed at Columbia (or anywhere in NYC) stayed in a hotel, or will I be the stupid first?

Members don't see this ad.

oompa loompa said:
Due to a lot of last minute changes, I can no longer stay with my student host, and I think it'd be best to find a hotel. I wasn't terribly excited to stay in Bard Hall anyway. The only problem, it's New York City, and every decent hotel is so freakin expensive.

I found this site:
http://www.byrate.com/hotels_points_of_interest/New_York/NY/US/1236
But I'm not familiar with a lot of the places on there, and Comfort Inn is $117?!!

Has anyone who's interviewed at Columbia (or anywhere in NYC) stayed in a hotel, or will I be the stupid first?

When are you interviewing?

Members don't see this ad :)
oompa loompa said:

I go to Columbia for undergrad. I live at 116th (the hospital is at 168th) about a 15 min subway ride. If you like PM me and you can stay at my place.

you don't want to stay at a hotel near the hospital try to find someone to stay with.

ti89 said:
When are you interviewing?
i just did on 10/27. im really curious to find out who other sdners are, they should just hand out optional sdn nametags!

there really aren't any good hotels by columbia's medical campus. either way tho, new york is expensive! if you stay anywhere downtown (you might as well see the city) stay near the A line. it runs express during the day (meaning it doesn't stop at every stop) and you'll be able to make it all the way uptown in only 20 or 30 min. the stop is right on campus. good luck!

i stayed at comfort inn on 71st and it was a couple of blocks from the 1 line, which took about 20 min to get to 168th, and the stop is 1 foot from the hospital

thanks everyone. I did manage to find a student host, and I suppose staying in Bard Hall for one night won't kill me...after all, it's where I'd be living if I were to get in, right?
Shredder, how did you like New York? I'm quite ambivalent about living there as a poor med student.