NYC Job Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desflurane

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering what the state of the job market was in the NY area, in particular Manhattan. I realize most jobs are at academic hospitals. Any insight appreciated.

Avg starting salary?
Availability of positions?
Any private practices?

Members don't see this ad.

From what i've heard....
Academics is tough to get unless you trained at the program, or did some baller fellowship somewhere. NYU pays over 200K base, with guranteed OT and calls yous hould make about 300k. The rest I have no clue.
NAPA has a few Manhattan hospitals. I know several people who took a job at NYU downtown, pays upper 200s MD only. Their outer borough hospitals pay >300k. Honestly, Napa seems like the only group constantly and actively hiring in the area.
Good Luck

From what i've heard....
Academics is tough to get unless you trained at the program, or did some baller fellowship somewhere. NYU pays over 200K base, with guranteed OT and calls yous hould make about 300k. The rest I have no clue.
NAPA has a few Manhattan hospitals. I know several people who took a job at NYU downtown, pays upper 200s MD only. Their outer borough hospitals pay >300k. Honestly, Napa seems like the only group constantly and actively hiring in the area.
Good Luck

Thanks for the info. Not sure what qualifies as a baller fellowship these days. I guess cardiac at one of the ivy programs? Doing a regional fellowship now. Heard HSS is highly inbred so not banking on that. Any more info appreciated. Outer boroughs too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. Not sure what qualifies as a baller fellowship these days. I guess cardiac at one of the ivy programs? Doing a regional fellowship now. Heard HSS is highly inbred so not banking on that. Any more info appreciated. Outer boroughs too.

By baller I mean cardiac at MGH, eds at CHOP ect. Being regional trained should be a big plus, from what I've heard alot of the outer borough practices are a bit behind in regional. The market got hit hard two years when St Vincents shut down throwing a large number of well trained anesthesiologists out of work.
I'll let you know if I come across anymore info with this years graduating class.
Good luck

I've been curious about this also. Been out a few years now from residency. How are the working conditions at the NAPA hospitals or NYU. Would love to do a fellowship in order to land a manhattan spot, but it is tough to give up a 300k plus no call, no weekend position to make 50k for a year or two and taking call. At some point in the near future I would like to work and live in the city, unfortunately it is impossible to find something close to what I get.