NYC/ LA,, too hard to make a living?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stdent9972

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an older student(28), who's lived in Brooklyn and Chicago and is currently in the middle of nowhere finishing up pre-reqs.
After having spent 1 and 1/2 years outside cities as I get older, I realize that I really miss cities and would like to practice in NYC/ LA.

What I'm concerned about is that I've heard that it's not very feasible to practice, especially right in the city. Now everyone knows that the biggest problem is dentistry and medicine is maldistribution.

There's a shortage of dentists in places like rural West Virginia, Tennesee, etc. However, there are unique problems to both NY and LA. If you want to live in a great neighborhood, like say the east village, grammercy park, the upper west side, or say west hollywood, santa monica or silver lake, I'm wondering how you make a viable living.

First of all in NYC, rents in Manhattan make it extremely difficult to be profitable. The only places I hear about practices for sale are places as far out as Bay Ridge or Bayside or something. Otherwise, the only ones where I see opportunities are way in outer Rockland County, Eastern Suffolk or central Jersey. It would make a hellish commute.

As for LA, and California is general, is the oversupply of health care professionals. I've heard about primary care doc earning 70K and dentists making 65K. Rents are a cheaper in LA, but again if you want to open a practice in the city center, it's gonna be hard.

An easier option might be, say Philly or Chicago.

Any advice, personal stories?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.