NYC OMFS Externship - NYU vs. Columbia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdndds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Currently heading into 4th year after this summer, looking to apply to OMFS after that. Have done a few externships and just had a week open up in NYC and am wondering if anybody has any opinions on Columbia vs. NYU? I am a Canadian applicant if that makes any difference. Any input would be awesome, thanks!!

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Currently heading into 4th year after this summer, looking to apply to OMFS after that. Have done a few externships and just had a week open up in NYC and am wondering if anybody has any opinions on Columbia vs. NYU? I am a Canadian applicant if that makes any difference. Any input would be awesome, thanks!!

Thank you

I'd recommend externing at NYU.

Hey, thanks for your response. Any particular reason why?

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU hands down.

Spent 2 weeks externing there and learned how to basically be an intern- cancer, trauma, cosmetics all there, chief when I was there let me start incision and dissection for a submandibular approach. It's a rough externship tho so brace yourself for q2-3 call with no post call

I went to Columbia. Great if you want to schlep tons of teeth and see some cranio, but it's only a level 2 center so it's pretty slow by comparison. Also they have the GPR's take a bulk of the call

Columbia is simply not a great place to do an externship because the program offers a very limited scope. NYU and BI Jacobi will blow 'em out.

Reactions: 1 user
Good to know! Was wondering if either of you would be able to shed some light on how competitive the different programs are in NYC? NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Mt Sinai? Are Columbia and Cornell more competitive simply because they're Ivye League? Or are NYU/Mt Sinai more competitive because of the greater scope? Or is there really no difference? Thanks!

Good to know! Was wondering if either of you would be able to shed some light on how competitive the different programs are in NYC? NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Mt Sinai? Are Columbia and Cornell more competitive simply because they're Ivye League? Or are NYU/Mt Sinai more competitive because of the greater scope? Or is there really no difference? Thanks!

competitive is a relative term. people want to match at certain programs for various reason despite a program being considered more "prestigious" or "broad scope".

I externed at all of the following NYC programs (and went to columbia for DS):
- if you want to to private practice, Columbia is solid. you'll place several hundred implants (when i was there one of the chiefs was capped at 500 cuz the perio department thought it was unfair lol), do tons of sedations/3rds, work with dental student patients (lots of implant supported dentures), and you can moonlight to keep your skills up and make a little $ during med school. It's Level II so your call is relatively light but then that means you are categorically exposed to way less trauma cases. They have a new craniofacial trained guy (under Costello) so they do some blephs/rhyd's/botox too
-if you want scope, NYU or Beth Israel/Jacobi are stellar. Both offer head and neck stuff too which is unusual for NE programs, Jacobi has a plastic surgeon on staff with the OMFS department (at least they did last time i checked). NYU has way more trauma partially due to the fact the NYS penitentiary system has the 18th(?) floor of Bellevue hospital as their medical ward - TONS of mandible fractures. Also NYU has a great relationship with plastics too so lots of awesome joint cases. However, the OMFS residents take call during med school, which is nice cuz you get $ to offset the cost of tuition, but sucks because....well isn't always fun.
- if you want trauma, Kings county is unbeatable (they also have a point-and-pull clinic too with probably 60 patients a day). Fun fact: Kings was the first Level I trauma center in the US. OMFS is the only service to do the trauma call. But the trauma comes from the immediate neighborhood which is so sketch it's borderline 3rd world. I got my first needle stick at Kings and part of the process is that you have to go to the ED - while registering 2 gsw's came in, one guy was shot in the leg and told to have a seat in the waiting room.

so ask yourself what you think you'll be into as a full-fledged OMFS and let that influence your decision. prestige...not so much :)

Reactions: 2 users