NYC Rundown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Endee

CAA to MD
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you visited/interviewed at/attended Mount Sinai, NYU, Columbia, and/or Cornell? I'm interested to hear personal experiences, specifically comparisons from those who possibly have interviewed at all 4 (or 3, or 2..). I've never been to New York City before, but I think the opportunity to go to Med School there would be amazing. What kind of neighborhoods are they in? What are their teaching styles? What are the facilities like? What specialties are they known for producing? Things like that.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

if u've never been to NYC, i suggest u go a couple of times before deciding to go to school there. i had always wanted to live in NY, but really, the place is gross; i even tried to learn to like it, but never could; its just gross
even my bf who's from NY agrees that every time u get into that city, u just feel this thick layer of disgusting dirt on you, it's not literally dirt, but its just the feeling of being dirty. i always have to take a shower right when i get to that city. i guess its just not my style; i like cleaner, prettier places
but yeah, some people like it cuz its so busy, so maybe ull be one of those people, but if u dont like feeling gross, u should reconsider NY

Cornell is in a GREAT area of the city. I lived near NYU med school the year after I graduated and it is a good area, too, just not as ritzy as the upper east side. Sinai is upper east, too, but further uptown near spanish harlem. They are close right on central park though, which is nice. Columbia is way way uptown, a hunded blocks north of Columbia's undergrad campus. It is a fine neighborhood, not much there really, kind of crummy, and it would take an hour to get downtown.

I interviewed at Columbia and Sinai and they both seemed be have traditional curriculums and normal students.

I went to Columbia undergrad and would never regret my time living in New York. I think it is an amazing place, and I think everyone should live there at some point. After living in Manhattan for 5 years, I was ready for something new, but many of my friends from undergrad are still there. The city and the conveniences grow on you- not to mention it is the best place in the world to meet young, interesting people!

good luck, and I will always :love: new york. Perhaps you would, too...

Members don't see this ad :)
melimi said:
if u've never been to NYC, i suggest u go a couple of times before deciding to go to school there. i had always wanted to live in NY, but really, the place is gross; i even tried to learn to like it, but never could; its just gross
even my bf who's from NY agrees that every time u get into that city, u just feel this thick layer of disgusting dirt on you, it's not literally dirt, but its just the feeling of being dirty. i always have to take a shower right when i get to that city. i guess its just not my style; i like cleaner, prettier places
but yeah, some people like it cuz its so busy, so maybe ull be one of those people, but if u dont like feeling gross, u should reconsider NY

I know what you mean, I felt that way about some places of London. I live in Florida, and right now I'd still love to go to Miami or Florida, to stay local, get state resident rates, and for the weather. But if I were to go to any schools out of my state, NYC schools or somewhere like Duke are on my list.

NYC is the greatest city in America.

Any random neighborhood in NY (except where Columbia med is) has more going on than in all but the best neighborhoods of Chicago, DC, Boston, or Philly.

It is dirty, but I think that if you don't really like URBAN environments, then NY will probably drive you nuts.

There are so many young people that it's just an incredible city.... for example, I like design, and when I lived in Chicago/DC/Boston i would have been thrilled to meet a designer... compared to Halloween this year, where i went to a random party and there were about 45 designers, of all types, interior, fashion, etc. Now, that's not the reason to go to NY, but I think it indicates the incredible density of very interesting people in NY.

but the city is not entirely easy-- i agree with the above poster that you should spend some time here, ideally with friends (not just in the tourist spots) and see how you like it.

chlorineK said:
Cornell is in a GREAT area of the city. I lived near NYU med school the year after I graduated and it is a good area, too, just not as ritzy as the upper east side. Sinai is upper east, too, but further uptown near spanish harlem. They are close right on central park though, which is nice. Columbia is way way uptown, a hunded blocks north of Columbia's undergrad campus. It is a fine neighborhood, not much there really, kind of crummy, and it would take an hour to get downtown.

I interviewed at Columbia and Sinai and they both seemed be have traditional curriculums and normal students.

I went to Columbia undergrad and would never regret my time living in New York. I think it is an amazing place, and I think everyone should live there at some point. After living in Manhattan for 5 years, I was ready for something new, but many of my friends from undergrad are still there. The city and the conveniences grow on you- not to mention it is the best place in the world to meet young, interesting people!

good luck, and I will always :love: new york. Perhaps you would, too...

melimi said:
wow

elicash said:
NYC is the greatest city in America.

Any random neighborhood in NY (except where Columbia med is) has more going on than in all but the best neighborhoods of Chicago, DC, Boston, or Philly.

It is dirty, but I think that if you don't really like URBAN environments, then NY will probably drive you nuts.

There are so many young people that it's just an incredible city.... for example, I like design, and when I lived in Chicago/DC/Boston i would have been thrilled to meet a designer... compared to Halloween this year, where i went to a random party and there were about 45 designers, of all types, interior, fashion, etc. Now, that's not the reason to go to NY, but I think it indicates the incredible density of very interesting people in NY.

but the city is not entirely easy-- i agree with the above poster that you should spend some time here, ideally with friends (not just in the tourist spots) and see how you like it.

totally. agreed. best city ever... but it does take some getting used to. there is just SO MUCH here.... of course, how much you'll be able to take advantage of during school is debatable... but at least it's here. so, NYC is not for everyone, but you have to live here to really appreciate how amazing the city is.

NYC is a wonderful city..I'm a New Yorker, born and raised. Too be quite honest, if you feel like you adapt well to change then go for it. NYC is the melting pot of America...you will leave here with a new outlook on life. The schools you are interested in attending here are the best in our nation..if I was you, I wouldn't think twice. There are so many different types of people from every country and all walks of life all around you in NY. You really learn to appreciate culture. When you go home, you can share that new appreciation with others...and maybe open their minds too. Yes, it's very fast paced and it is dirty (like every other large city), but that adds to the fun and spontaneity of living over here. I think that NYC has great opportunities in medicine to meet and work with so many different people...if that's important to you. Also the schools you are interested in are private...so you will be around many other students who are going through the same process as you (non-NYers). You will also never run out of things to do. Sometime's its important to just relax after hours of hardcore studying, and we have everything here. Even if you love to surf..we have that too (though it maybe a few hours away from the city). I hope this helps..good luck in deciding, and CONGRATS!

As for areas..Cornell is in an awesome area..you can't ask for more..Sloan Kettering Cancer Care Center (one of the most renowned cancer hospitals in our country) is across the street..next door is the Rockefeller Institute (known for it's amazing research)...attached to the school itself is NY's best hospital (New York Hospital)...and a few doors down is the Hospital for Special Surgery (one of the most famous hospitals for surgery, people from all across the globe come here just for a surgical procedure)...and not to be shallow, but on top of that all.. it is minutes away from some of the best shopping in New York...Bloomingdale's, Saks 5th Ave, Bergdorf Goodman, Fendi, Chanel, Gucci, etc. (if your into that, like me =) hehe)

Columbia is an okay neighborhood, it's located in Washington Heights. The campus pretty much makes the area. Like someone said, it's pretty far from all the main socializing spots in NY. Safety is a factor to consider..since it's not the best area. There is a lot of security. Pretty much- you will be safe as long as you do not put yourself in stupid situations (i.e. walk around by yourself late night in dimly lit, secluded areas). Columbia's reputation makes up for its location.

Sinai is right smack in the middle of where the rich community ends, and the poorer community begins. It's a decent neighborhood, which is pretty safe. You can enjoy Central Park anytime, because it is really your backyard at Sinai. If you are interested in museums...it's located on NY's famous "Museum Mile" where you can easily access some of the best art museum's like the Metropolitan Museum Art or the Guggenheim Museum. Madison Ave...is also a great place to shop..another advantage

Regardless of which school you choose...our Subway system is great, and easy to understand. Even if you aren't interested in subways or public transportation...Taxis are always available at every street corner..and now only require a credit card (which is really helpful)

Hope this info helps
As you can tell I love NY..I've interviewed all over the USA, and I really felt nothing could compare; however, I am biased b/c I've lived here forever. You should visit and see how you like it...and if you can adjust. There are going to many others in your shoes once you start school, so you won't be alone in the process at all (keep that in mind)

FutureMD836 said:
NYC is a wonderful city..I'm a New Yorker, born and raised. Too be quite honest, if you feel like you adapt well to change then go for it. NYC is the melting pot of America...you will leave here with a new outlook on life. The schools you are interested in attending here are the best in our nation..if I was you, I wouldn't think twice. There are so many different types of people from every country and all walks of life all around you in NY. You really learn to appreciate culture. When you go home, you can share that new appreciation with others...and maybe open their minds too. Yes, it's very fast paced and it is dirty (like every other large city), but that adds to the fun and spontaneity of living over here. I think that NYC has great opportunities in medicine to meet and work with so many different people...if that's important to you. Also the schools you are interested in are private...so you will be around many other students who are going through the same process as you (non-NYers). You will also never run out of things to do. Sometime's its important to just relax after hours of hardcore studying, and we have everything here. Even if you love to surf..we have that too (though it maybe a few hours away from the city). I hope this helps..good luck in deciding, and CONGRATS!

i agree!! new york is the only american city i would ever want to live in. it may be noisy and dirty, but the upside is that you get to live in a city with people from all over the world and all walks of life. suburbia may be more comfortable, but i would get bored being around the same kinds of people every day.

When ever I get back to NYC after a long period of time I feel my whole body relax. The chaos is almost soothing. One of my favorite feelings is being in a cab at night coming back from JFK into manhattan and seeing the skyline, and then being able to look all the way down each avenue when crossing to the west side... I love to travel, I love spending time in other countries and cities, and probably want to spend med school outside of New York, but ever time I am away I am reminded how much I love NYC, and how much I could not live my life somewhere else.

New York is a magical city, but it is a city. People who live here can never get it out of their soul. Yes, there is the picture perfect New York as depicted in movie upon movie, and you feel that from time to time, especially when going for long walks in the spring, or in central park, and there is the other perfect new york, the imperfect one. The one where grittyness exists and makes life textured, and meaninful, and real in a way a movie would never be.

Once you get used to being in New York, it's hard to live other places. Anythig you want can appear at your doorstep at any time of day by making a phone call. New York is the great equalizer too, rich and poor both take the same subway cars because everyone knows it's the best way around, and its route doesn't discriminate against poor areas by not going there. Read the metropolitan Diaries (Mondays in the Metro Section of the NY Times), and that is the New York as it is experienced, and loved.

Be prepared, once you live in New York, you will develop a special kind of City supiriority complex, and it will never, ever, go away.

In terms of the schools/locations you mentioned - 3 of the 4 are on "bedpan ally," the coridor of the east side where there are a billion hospitals. They are all great locations to live, and all, most importantly, close to the 6 train. Columbia, on the other hand, is way up town, but still not a bad area.

im a manhattanite born and raised. the city is a beautiful and diverse place. its NOT gross, and anyone who says so is off their rocker. get used to it, its a city! yes there is trash on the street in some places but theres alot of freakin ppl living here, its like that anywhere you go. nothing beats the 24 hr convenience of nyc. we have the best transit system in the world too runnin 24-7.

all hoods in the city and most of the boroughs are now safe so dont worry your pretty little heads over it. its about your attitude too. if youre going to prance around like a rich idiot in some sketchy hood, i'd come rob you myself!

cornell is in a nice place but york ave isnt close to any trains so its annoying. its cool that rockefeller is right there though and theres lots of good research. they have cheap housing too. sinai is gorgeous. i think it sa wonderful hospital and medical school/ research facility. columbia presbyterian im not a fan but its still good. you will get awesome clinical exposure here. the city is not for everyone though. i guess i can understand how it can be intense for somepeople. i have never felt gross and grimey living here, its one of the nicest richest most beautiful cities and anyone who tells you otherwise just aint worth talkin to.