Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

NYC Surgery Residencies

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Future Surgeon, Aug 19, 2000.

1. Future Surgeon

I will be applying for surgery programs in the NYC area ... any advice/information on the relative strengths and weaknesses of Cornell New York Hospital, Columbia Pres, NYU Bellevue, Mt Sinai, St Lukes Roosevelt?

Especially helpful would be info on lifestyle, reputations, etc.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pags

pags Senior Member

My God! I hope you got the grades, buddy.

4. HAHAHAHA

5. MikeS 78

MikeS 78 Senior Member

CPMC and cornell (partic sloan kettering) are amazing schools for surgery (I'm greatly biased towards CPMC) however both places are tough to get into which i assume you know

location wise....CPMC is in washington heights which though was once known as the coke capital of the east coast...is significantly better and is especially safe around the medical center.....cornell is further downtown in a nicer neighborhood...however it will cost you most of your pittance they call intern salary to live in downtown manhattan...and to be honest you really wont leave the hospital enough to see manhattan

plus I hope you have some awesome recs and board scores

6. Future Surgeon

"I'm greatly biased towards CPMC..."

Any particular reason for this? Just curious.

Thanks for the input.

7. MikeS 78

MikeS 78 Senior Member

3 reasons for this bias
    1) world class facilities and faculty esp in neuro
    2) most of the faculty are very eager to teach
    3) I am writing this post from the computer lab at the milstein hospital building of CPMC

8. 1918

1918 Member

Future Surgeon: You were smart to question the reasoning of the previous poster; he's an MSI. I would encourage you to speak with someone with a little more information and perspective.

Good luck.

9. MikeS 78

MikeS 78 Senior Member

3 points of discussion regarding your comment

1) you really need to get out more its really a horrible shame that you have so much time on your hands (as well as some general bitterness)
    2) I fail to see how being an MS 1 hinders my ability to parrot information and opinions that is repeatedly given to me by older MS's and residents, as well as common observations known to anyone who had ever lived on the upper east side (cornell) or washington heights (CPMC)
    3) I also am amazed that cornell didnt rush to get you off the wait list.....I mean its every medical schools dream to have someone who fervently believes that they are omniscient and willing to pointlessly throw in their 2 cents at every occasion......in fact in my cornell interview I was asked to trash talk a cloth dummy