NYC undergrad cuny schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NycVet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
im new member here, but ive been reading posts over the past week and i just cant help but to ask for some advice, because there is a lot of really great people here. im currently a freshman at a Cuny undergrad school in NYC, pursuing a b.s degree in chemistry and im still gonna start my vet experience.
ive been researching grad schools recently and have the following questions:

Does anyone have any info about how strong do cuny schools look on transcripts?
I found that cornell has an early admissions program where you get accepted in the end of your sophomore year, but your supposed to start the professional curriculum after your junior year. does anyone know how that works?

by the way is anyone from NYC?
any way really sorry for throwing all those questions out there but im already getting anxiety and it helps it ask knowledgeable people.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Welcome!

Most vet schools do not require a bachelor's degree, just the pre-req's. It's up to your undergrad to determine if they will grant you your bachelor's degree after your first year of veterinary school. If you are planning that route I suggest starting TODAY with getting vet experience. You will have less time to prove that you are well-rounded, can handle a demanding lifestyle, and have a lot of experience in the veterinary world. You also need to be sure that you meet all the pre-req's for the schools you want to apply to.

I'm not sure about your specific school, but the best thing for your transcripts is great grades in everything, especially the biology/chemistry classes. And the higher level classes you take the better off you will be.

If you look at some vet school's websites, they list how many people they accept each year without a bachelor's degree.

I planned on doing 3 years of undergrad, then starting vet school - but it turned out I needed more time to strengthen my GPA and get more experience. Good luck, it's definitely do-able!!

thank you eqisci that actually helped alot, i checked right after and actually i can go right away but you are right i really wont have that much time to gather experiences and so forth, thanks for the insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone,
im new member here, but ive been reading posts over the past week and i just cant help but to ask for some advice, because there is a lot of really great people here. im currently a freshman at a Cuny undergrad school in NYC, pursuing a b.s degree in chemistry and im still gonna start my vet experience.
ive been researching grad schools recently and have the following questions:

Does anyone have any info about how strong do cuny schools look on transcripts?
I found that cornell has an early admissions program where you get accepted in the end of your sophomore year, but your supposed to start the professional curriculum after your junior year. does anyone know how that works?

by the way is anyone from NYC?
any way really sorry for throwing all those questions out there but im already getting anxiety and it helps it ask knowledgeable people.

hi
it doesnt mater where you go, as along as you do well.

Hi,
I'm from NYC. I went to Hunter, not sure which CUNY you're going to. I know Cornell holds the CUNY system in high regard (at least according to them... I asked). I'm currently only applying to UPenn, and I was rejected last year. One of the reasons they gave me in my follow up interview was that I attended bottom tier schools. I went to QCC for the first two years, and that had a lot to do with it. Also, I wasn't a science major but did all of the pre-req's in addition to my major. That was a problem because I was competing with people who had a lot more science than i did... I got the impression that it was a combination of the factors that led to my UPenn rejection. My GPA was a 3.96, so don't believe that a high GPA will get you everywhere-- the curriculum and school do matter. That said, I think with a science major and high GPA (and good GRE...) at a CUNY you'll have no problems... but a science major and a high GPA at an ivy league would of course make things easier....

I didn't read everything in the replies, just kind of skimmed... I think I saw something about looking for experience? Have you looked into the AMC at all? They're on 62nd and York and they have a pre-vet volunteer program.

**ETA: btw, I was a chem minor. You should def consider doing boi as your minor, or at least take Microbio and some other bio courses. That's what Penn's had me doing this past year =)

Hi,
I'm from NYC. I went to Hunter, not sure which CUNY you're going to. I know Cornell holds the CUNY system in high regard (at least according to them... I asked). I'm currently only applying to UPenn, and I was rejected last year. One of the reasons they gave me in my follow up interview was that I attended bottom tier schools. I went to QCC for the first two years, and that had a lot to do with it. Also, I wasn't a science major but did all of the pre-req's in addition to my major. That was a problem because I was competing with people who had a lot more science than i did... I got the impression that it was a combination of the factors that led to my UPenn rejection. My GPA was a 3.96, so don't believe that a high GPA will get you everywhere-- the curriculum and school do matter. That said, I think with a science major and high GPA (and good GRE...) at a CUNY you'll have no problems... but a science major and a high GPA at an ivy league would of course make things easier....

I didn't read everything in the replies, just kind of skimmed... I think I saw something about looking for experience? Have you looked into the AMC at all? They're on 62nd and York and they have a pre-vet volunteer program.

AMC volunteering seems to be hard to get into! I filled out an application last summer and was never gotten back to. I don't think it was a pre-vet specific program, i think i just asked to be a regular volunteer but i explained that i was in pre-vet, that i have a lot of animal experience, that i've worked with some vets before. Nothing. And there was a disclaimer on the volunteer form that they expect 40 hours a week from volunteers. How they expect you to volunteer at the equivalent of a full time job, I'm not sure.

I've had no trouble finding local vets to volunteer/work with however. But of course the experience at tiny local clinics does not compare to AMC.

AMC volunteering seems to be hard to get into! I filled out an application last summer and was never gotten back to. I don't think it was a pre-vet specific program, i think i just asked to be a regular volunteer but i explained that i was in pre-vet, that i have a lot of animal experience, that i've worked with some vets before. Nothing. And there was a disclaimer on the volunteer form that they expect 40 hours a week from volunteers. How they expect you to volunteer at the equivalent of a full time job, I'm not sure.

That's pretty much it--it's not so much volunteering as it is a job without pay. I'm not really sure how people would manage that with school full-time, but if you do go for it, I would recommend it during the summer. Plus, they are really bad about getting back to you--you definitely need to hound them about it and really work to volunteer there, which I guess is their way of weeding out applicants. I almost volunteered there one summer, but chose not to so I could get avian and exotic hours instead. It worked out in my favor, but I can't say that will be the case for everyone.

I've had no trouble finding local vets to volunteer/work with however. But of course the experience at tiny local clinics does not compare to AMC.

They have 2 volunteer programs, one where you work 40 hour weeks, and the other I think is 3 days a week? I actually quit my full time job to do the full time volunteering.... but I was just lucky that it came along at a time when I was getting some good scholarships and fin aid to make up for working... and of course I had to make some lifestyle changes.

I would call and follow up on the app, I don't think they're actually that super picky that they wouldn't call you. I've seen high school students with no pre-vet exp. (ok one hs student) volunteer there... she did end up getting fired, but still, they called her back. There was a big changeover in management there last year, they got a new CEO and made a lot of changes. It's possible that your app got lost in that whole mess. If you're still interested, call! It was one of my favorite experiences... And don't think that a local vet doesn't compare, you probably get to do a lot more there. At AMC, at least when I was there before the new CEO, it's very departmentalized and your job is YOUR job, and you can't do much more than that. Where I am now I get to do treatments and place IV's, pull blood, etc... There was none of that for me at the AMC. But it is a great place to gain exposure to a lot of specialties, they have (or had... it's been an eventful year there and I honestly don't know what's what there now) an AWESOME rehab facility, and just top notch stuff all around. And the people really are the nicest. Oh and the free scrubs are pretty sweet too =p

And obviously it's way past my bedtime. Gnight! :p

That's pretty much it--it's not so much volunteering as it is a job without pay. I'm not really sure how people would manage that with school full-time, but if you do go for it, I would recommend it during the summer. Plus, they are really bad about getting back to you--you definitely need to hound them about it and really work to volunteer there, which I guess is their way of weeding out applicants. I almost volunteered there one summer, but chose not to so I could get avian and exotic hours instead. It worked out in my favor, but I can't say that will be the case for everyone.

Heh and yet since i showed my interest in the hospital with that volunteer form, they've been hounding me with donation pleas. I find that ironic. As a disclaimer, i think it is an amazing hospital and (besides the astronomic bills) I've been very pleased with the level of care my animals have received there.

sorry, back on topic.

hey people, just finished finals, yah I'm from York College, working on a chem major and a bio minor. I know york is not the best of Cuny's, but its offering me a full scholarship and a hefty stipend so its kinda helping me save money for vet school. Its actually pretty good. :D And as for the vet experiences I mapped out a 2 year plan and a 4 year plan depending on whether i get accepted early or not. it has exotics, aquatics, private practice, hospitals, equine, race tracks and much more. (of the top of my head) The only thing that is killing is proving that I am "well rounded". Does anyone know how to do that?

oh yeah i forgot to ask before

Does anyone if Cuny's, (or more specificly, York college or Hunter) classes get completly transfered to big schools like cornell?

I think the ideal candidate has great grades in difficult courses, a lot of veterinary experience, and is involved in their community/school. They want to see that you are passionate and work hard for what you want, and PROVING that you have these qualities will mean much more than trying to convince them that you do.

The variety of vet experiences you mentioned are great. I would also suggest picking the thing you are most interested in and getting a lot of hours in one thing - a variety of experience is wonderful, but if you have 50 hours in 20 different things I think it looks a little like you can't commit to anything. Sticking with something for a few years plus having some other experiences would be best IMO.

Also keep in mind I'm certainly not an adcom and these are just my opinions!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
And as for the vet experiences I mapped out a 2 year plan and a 4 year plan depending on whether i get accepted early or not. it has exotics, aquatics, private practice, hospitals, equine, race tracks and much more. (of the top of my head) The only thing that is killing is proving that I am "well rounded". Does anyone know how to do that?

whoa, really? you can get all that in? that's fantastic! but, like eqisci said, pick your favorite and gets lots of hours in there in order to get "depth, not just breadth." also, you'll want to spend significant amounts of time in order to get good recommendations. you wouldn't want the letter to say "he was here for two weeks. had a nice smile. the end." another also, cornell requires a letter from each and every experience you put on the app. other schools allow you to list as many as you want, and just send in 3+ letters. if you get all those experiences and want them to count at cornell, make sure they all like you lots and can remember you ;)

and congrats on the full scholarship!

as for cuny credits transferring to cornell, do you mean from undergrad to undergrad? cause i have no idea. some vet schools allow you to be 'exempt' from a course if you took a comparable course in undergrad and did well. Penn does, at least.

Hi folks,

I'm applying to City College to begin completing my prereq's and am seriously considering applying to the Pre-medical Studies program (http://www1.ccny.cuny.edu/prospective/science/pps/index.cfm). Anybody here currently in the program or completed it that recommend it or at least give me the lowdown on it? Is this/a postbacc worth it or should I just go it alone and figure it out on my own? My biggest concern about it is that it'll be a waste of time since it appears to mostly be geared towards pre-med students.

Also, I work full-time and I'm concerned that the courses I have to take won't be compatible with my work schedule. Can any full-time employed CUNY students here reply with their experiences?

Thanks!

MoNYC - other than specific classes like Animal Nutrition, there is really no difference between pre-med and pre-vet in undergrad. There are more pre-reqs for veterinary school, but most seem to be offered in the curriculum, particularly in the recommended courses: http://http://www1.ccny.cuny.edu/prospective/science/pps/Curriculum.cfm

I'm assuming you already have a bachelors, since you are asking about a post-bacc. It doesn't look like a bad program at all. For undergrads, there is no point in graduating and then taking forther courses as a post-bacc because you get "freshman" registration status and have to practically fight to get into upper level courses that may have limited space. But if you're already coming in with a bachelors this program may not be bad at all. But I myself am not familiar with it, I just glanced at it.

Hi folks,

I'm applying to City College to begin completing my prereq's and am seriously considering applying to the Pre-medical Studies program (http://www1.ccny.cuny.edu/prospective/science/pps/index.cfm). Anybody here currently in the program or completed it that recommend it or at least give me the lowdown on it? Is this/a postbacc worth it or should I just go it alone and figure it out on my own? My biggest concern about it is that it'll be a waste of time since it appears to mostly be geared towards pre-med students.

Also, I work full-time and I'm concerned that the courses I have to take won't be compatible with my work schedule. Can any full-time employed CUNY students here reply with their experiences?

Thanks!

I attend Hunter College and just changed my major from Accounting to Biology (for pre-req purposes) I dont how they do it at City College but most pre med classes are bio. At Hunter, it's HARD working fulltime because of the lack of class options. Meaning...for upper bio classes, they would only have one class time available.

I use to work fulltime from 9-5 and some of the required pre-req's are mid-day. So I had to quit my job and take those classes because it wasn't offered during the evening or the weekends.

I do have a BA, Groominator. Thanks for the advice!

Moo Suga: How far did you get through school while working full-time? I figured that at some point down the road I'll also have to quit in order to finish up the midday prereq's. I was hoping that it'd be like 2 maybe 3 years down the road but looking at the course schedules it seems like it'd have to be even sooner than that. :lame:

How have you local folks sung the large-animal experience? I'm puzzled about how to go about it. Not exactly too many cows and such around these parts... =)

How have you local folks sung the large-animal experience? I'm puzzled about how to go about it. Not exactly too many cows and such around these parts... =)

I think the only way you can do that is to find a stable around here. There are a few. So horse experience is possible. cow/pig/sheep - good luck ;) I think prospect park may have a petting zoo? Exotic experience is possible. LA is a little difficult.

I do have a BA, Groominator. Thanks for the advice!

Moo Suga: How far did you get through school while working full-time? I figured that at some point down the road I'll also have to quit in order to finish up the midday prereq's. I was hoping that it'd be like 2 maybe 3 years down the road but looking at the course schedules it seems like it'd have to be even sooner than that. :lame:

I have been working fulltime up until this coming semester. Like I said, some classes have only one option available. And I have HUGE ridiculous gaps (3 or 4 hours) in my schedule, I can't even work part time with a 3 hour gap.

Large animal experience, I agree with the zoos. Brooklyn Prospect Park Zoo is the ONLY zoo that has direct contact with the animals. I currently volunteer there, and undergoing training. There's a fee of $40 and there are training classes that you need to attend for 12 weeks every Sunday.

And also, there are stables out in Brooklyn. I also know there's a pumpkin patch farm in Queens somewhere that has a petting zoo. I went on multiple class trips as a child there.

As for me, I was planning on volunteering at a ranch or farm during the summer. In Tennessee, they have an amazing elephant sanctuary that I would LOVE to work with and also they have many many opportunities in Florida if your willing to travel.

I'm considering applying for an internship at Disney with their Animal Kingdom. It's a wonderful experience, only thing is they require 6 months of commitment and your on call 24/7. Plus, you can't be a veterinary student so you gotta do this most likely during your Ugrad.

Sorry for the babble. :p

re: petting zoo/pumkin patch in Queens - do you know where it is? I remember going to some farm thing that had hayrides when i was in elementary school and I'm wondering if that was the place. It couldn't have been too far away because i doubt it was a long bus ride, so i don't think it was out of state.

I'm thinking of using a personal connection for horse experience, maybe in the summer. My dog's breeder also breeds horses and has a stable. I stay in contact with her so I'm sure she'd let me come and hang out/help out. The problem is that she is in CT, three hours away. And I don't drive, so I'd have to drag my mother or bf along. But anyway its a thought.

re: petting zoo/pumkin patch in Queens - do you know where it is? I remember going to some farm thing that had hayrides when i was in elementary school and I'm wondering if that was the place. It couldn't have been too far away because i doubt it was a long bus ride, so i don't think it was out of state.

I'm thinking of using a personal connection for horse experience, maybe in the summer. My dog's breeder also breeds horses and has a stable. I stay in contact with her so I'm sure she'd let me come and hang out/help out. The problem is that she is in CT, three hours away. And I don't drive, so I'd have to drag my mother or bf along. But anyway its a thought.

Theres a few of petting zoo/pumpkin farms in Queens, it's in Floral Park. There's actually 2 in Floral Park.

*Green Meadows: they have livestock animals like: cows, sheeps, pigs, rabbit, turkeys, donkeys, geese, etc. Their address: 50 Little Neck Parkway, Floral Park, NY 11002. Phone: (718) 470 0224

*Queens County Farm Museum: they also have a few livestock animals like pigs, sheeps, etc. Their address: 73-50 Little Neck Parkway
Floral Park, NY 11004 Phone: (718) 347-3276

And for horses, you can try the stables out in Brooklyn, there's actually 2 stables there too. I dont know if any of them has recently closed down or so. But I listed their numbers you can try giving them a call...

*Kensington Stables located at the Brooklyn Prospect Park
*Jamaica Bay Riding Academy

There's some in Queens:
*Lynn's Riding School: in Forest Hills (718) 261-7679
*Dixie Dew Stables: in Flushing (718) 263-3500

And there's a whole bunch in the Bronx, like in Pelham Bay Park.

I remember class trips to Green Meadows Farm! :) It's on Little Neck Pkwy. (just north of Union Tpke.) in Floral Park, according to the website. The Queens County Farm Museum portion is open all year and is mostly historical buildings, but the Green Meadows Farm is set up next door on a seasonal basis for school trips.

I'm not sure about volunteer/job opportunities there, though. I gained large animal experience while I was away at college.

There is also a farm out in Yaphank (run by Cornell Cooperative Extension) which is where the LaGuardia vet tech students do their large animal practical work, but that would be a LONG trip for anyone traveling from the city.

Hi everyone!

I also go to a CUNY school (CSI).
Woohoo CUNY! Representin'
:laugh:

I know there's also a petting zoo at central park, but I have no idea about whether they take student volunteers or anything. I guess it depends on where you live, but if you go to Hunter, maybe you could trying doing something there. I ended up getting my large animals hours (about 100, though I wish I had more) shadowing a large animal vet in upstate NY for two weeks during the summer. You guys might want to give it a shot--my school contacted someone from the Academy of Rural Veterinarians (http://www.ruralvets.org/) to talk to us about veterinary medicine, and he also kind of put us in contact with rural vets. The website might be helpful.

I know there's also a petting zoo at central park, but I have no idea about whether they take student volunteers or anything. I guess it depends on where you live, but if you go to Hunter, maybe you could trying doing something there. I ended up getting my large animals hours (about 100, though I wish I had more) shadowing a large animal vet in upstate NY for two weeks during the summer. You guys might want to give it a shot--my school contacted someone from the Academy of Rural Veterinarians (http://www.ruralvets.org/) to talk to us about veterinary medicine, and he also kind of put us in contact with rural vets. The website might be helpful.

Out of all the zoos in NYC, Prospect Park Zoo allows direct animal contact. Sucks that none of the other zoos allow animal contact. Volunteering positions at other zoos are more like tour guides.