1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

NYCOM 2005

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by AP, Jul 17, 2001.

1. AP

AP Member
    10+ Year Member

TO all NYCOM class of 2005 students - Let me know via this thread if anyone would like to plan a get together somewhere in LI sometime before classes start. Maybe the w/e before orientation starts would be good. Let me know.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nycphildoc

nycphildoc Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey,

What's up? I'd be interested in hanging out, before I become a human encyclopedia of medical facts. I'm in Cali until August 3rd. Let me know if you want to hang out, after I get back. I met a few other classmates and I'll see if they want to hang out, as well.
    [email protected]

4. amayer24

amayer24 Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi Andy!!!
    This is Alex (The taller one :)
    I figured it was you since you said that you are in Cali till August 3. Anyhow, hows Cali?
    Enjoy yourself while you can!!!
    I would be interested in going out before school starts. Let me know when and where?

See you
    Later
    Alex :)

5. Gauravvv

7+ Year Member

Eyy everyone!
    Im starting at NYIT as a BS/DO in the fall and just wanted to say whats up to everyone
    ..i guess that means i'll be class of 2008, i think....i brains are mush :D

6. Frosty

Frosty Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey all fellow 2005'ers -

I'll be moving down from good ol' Boston, MA, the weekend before orientation starts. If anyone is interest in trying to set something up that weekend (maybe Sat. night?), I'm definitely in. Unfortunately, I know the LI area about as well as I currently know every muscle, nerve, and blood vessel in the human body. If somebody would be willing to take on an organizational role and possibly pick out a venue, I'll do my best to help spread the word. Let me know.
    :D

7. nycphildoc

nycphildoc Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't know how many of you are into clubs, but I went to EXIT, in the city, on July 3rd, and it was actually a lot of fun, and believe me, I'm not much of a "club person" myself. If any wants to do something lot that, or go to a bar, out to eat or whatever, I'm up for it. Between August 4th-until orientation, I don't have much to do. I actually have a friend who works at Summer Stage, in Central Park. On August 5th, Mos Def is doing a free show, and I'm definetly going to that. If anyone wants to come along, you're more than welcome. Oh, my friend does the concessions, so we'd get free beers all day. And, just think, if we drink to LD-50 levels,we have a 50% chance of not having to suffer in med school for the next four years.
    Long Island, itself, is pretty wack, but it does have the benefit of being peaceful and beautiful, in addition to be an hour train ride from the city. If you've never lived in Long Island, it'll probbly take some getting used to. There are many people with "strong" personalities, not to mention those with elitist attitudes (it's the richest area in the US. But, you'll get used to it.
    I went to NYCOM the other day, and was walking on the grass. All of a sudden, I was, like, wht the f%$k is this? There's sh&t all over the grass. What's the deal with that? It's a medical school, and your walking in sh&t everywhere you step, a bit ironic, I think. Aren't medical facilities supposed to be clean.
    I think I'm going to walk over to the NYCOM III, pull my pants down, and drop a nice hot one near the entrance, in protest. As long as I'm wearing my white coat and follow other dress code guidelines, I don't think adminisration will have a problem with it.

8. AP

AP Member
    10+ Year Member

There are a few places in WEstbury, about a 10 minute drive from NYCOM, where we could all meet. We should plan something for maybe the Sunday evening/night before orientation start. Let me know if that sounds good - in particular, there are some larg restaurant/bars in some malls in Westbury that are very easy to find.

9. nycphildoc

nycphildoc Member
    10+ Year Member

Sunday, before orientation is good for me. We could go to TGI type place, or whatever. Westbury has an abundance of restaurants.

10. AP

AP Member
    10+ Year Member

That sounds good. Everyone else who is interested - chime in so we can see who is up for that - meeting Sunday evening, 8/12.

11. Frosty

Frosty Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Works for me.

12. jerome1

jerome1 Junior Member

13. amayer24

amayer24 Member
    10+ Year Member

I am in!!!

14. orthodude

orthodude Member
    10+ Year Member

Count me too.

Rasel

15. AP

AP Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey nycphildoc - What place did you have in mind exactly - I seem to forget the restaurant/bars in Westbury. How does 6pm sound for everyone on that Sunday? As soon as we pick out an exact place, we will post it here. Anyone who needs directions to the as-yet undecided place can just ask here.

16. Frosty

Frosty Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for taking the initiative AP!

17. poontz318

poontz318 New Member

Hey future classmates and study buddies! I'm definitely down for some pre- orientation socializing. ;)

18. pgamba24

pgamba24 New Member

I found a goood place for what you are looking for. It is called Steamboat landing in glen cove. It is close to school and outside on the water. they have a good happy hour.

19. Cori

Cori New Member

Hey-I would be interested in getting together before orinetation. Just let me know time and place!null

20. nycphildoc

nycphildoc Member
    10+ Year Member

IS TGI good for everyone? If anyone else has any suggestions, post'em. Here are some restaurants in the area: Cheesecake Factory, Red Lobster, Chili's, Macaroni Grill, Blue Tequila (good mexican), etc... If we're going to be a large party, I suggest that everyone who's going post by August 10th, that way the restaurant will have ample notice, so we won't have to wait 2 hours for a table. I don't mind calling the place. If someone decides not to go, post so I'll have an accurate count.

21. nycphildoc

nycphildoc Member
    10+ Year Member

I didn't see the Steamboat post. Sounds good to me. Whoever wrote that post (Steamboat), write the address and directions from the LIE or Northern PKWY.

22. Frosty

Frosty Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey everyone - the Steamboat venue sounds like an awesome idea. There's nothing better than enjoying a few cold ones while overlooking the ocean ... there's just something about that ocean air. Nycphildoc had a good idea regarding getting a head count, but that would only be if we're going to have dinner. Are we planning on having dinner or just socializing over a few cocktails? What does everyone think?

23. AP

AP Member
    10+ Year Member

The steamboat place sounds good, but I was kid of thinking that we should grab some food as well. There is a Houlihans as well as a Houston's in the Roosevelt field mall. Real easy to find a about a 15 minute drive from school. It is exit M4 I think off of the Meadowbrook parkway. How does that sound to everyone? Either myself or maybe nycphildoc can call and make some sort of reservations for that sun.

24. JP2005

JP2005 HOPKINS GAS PASSER
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My friend is one of the head chefs at steamboat. It is a restaurant early in the night. Later on, after about 11ish the kitchen closes but the outdoor deck bars (tikibar, etc.) stay open. It attracts a good amount of people, and the atmosphere is very relaxing. I actually made a night out of the place during the weekdays in the summer.

25. Cori

Cori New Member

Steamboat sounds like a fun place to me-food and drink so everyone will be able to get what they want. And sounds like a good place for socializing! :D

26. jerome1

jerome1 Junior Member

Steamboat sounds great!

27. Frosty

Frosty Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

My vote is for Steamboat too!

28. AP

AP Member
    10+ Year Member

Sounds good to me as well. How does one get there? Also, does someone want to take the initiative and call ahead(if it's necessary) and let them know how many people will show up? Obviously we need a head count for that so, like someone mentioned before, everyone try to chime in by next friday, 8/10, as to whether they will show up or not. How does 6pm sound for everyone?

29. ychromosome

ychromosome Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey kids...

count me in too.

so when's this happening for real? there's some ambiguity in the above posts. Directions would help too....

30. nycphildoc

nycphildoc Member
    10+ Year Member

So if Sunday, at 6 P.M., is good for everyone, I'll call for reservations by Friday.

31. nycphildoc

nycphildoc Member
    10+ Year Member

Post by Friday all who're interested in going. I'll call Friday afternoon.

32. AP

AP Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm down. Anyone know how to get there? Thanks for making the res. nycphildoc.

33. jf

jf Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi,

My name is Jamie and I will be starting NYCOM on Monday. My fiance and I would definitely be in to meeting with fellow classmates on Sunday. Please fill me in on the details.

Thanks and I look forward to meeting all of you!

Jamie

34. nycphildoc

nycphildoc Member
    10+ Year Member

I have a count of 13, so far. I'm calling tomorrow. I'll post directions.

35. nycphildoc

nycphildoc Member
    10+ Year Member

The address is: 76 Shore Rd.
    Glen Cove, NY 11542
    (516) 759-3921

-Take LIE to exit 39
    -left on Glen Cove Rd.-becomes 107N-becomes Pratt Blvd.
    -left onto Brewster Ave.
    -Right onto Morris Ave.
    -Right onto Shore Rd.

6 P.M. 8/12/01

-go to Mapquest.com for specific directions

36. Dr.J

Dr.J New Member

Hey, I'm Joe and count me in for sunday night. I don't know if you want to add me to the head count though because I will not make it until at least 8pm, but I'll stop by anyway to see if anybody is still around. Thanks.