NYCOM, acceptances etc.

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by WishUponAStar, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Hello,

Who has gotten into NYCOM this year and is going next fall? (Sound off!)

Also, what are your opinions of the school, faculty, clinical experiences, OMM, etc. etc.

Whatever you know... Share.

W.U.A.S.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sandj9397

sandj9397 Member

I interviewed on their first day, Oct 25th, and still no word. I think my mailman is going to kill me the way I annoy him over keeping an eye out for that letter(that's because they told me I would hear from them in two weeks). Has anyone who interviewed hear anything? The wait is killing me!

4. Justin

Justin Member

I just received my acceptance yesterday. I interviewed on NOV 1.

5. yasostegirl3437

Congratulations!

6. Congrats on the acceptance,

So are you going to be a member of the NYCOM class of 2006? ;-D

I interviewed early too. I bet I have a letter coming too. (One way or the other of course). The folks in admissions said I may or may not hear before the holiday. So for those who are waiting... It may be after Turkey Day.

For some reason I have a good vibe.

7. sandj9397

sandj9397 Member

Congratulations Justin!

WUAS, when did you interview? Did they give you a timeframe?

8. For the same of sake of anonymity I will say that I interviewed in their second week of interviews. I was in the first group to be selected for interviews. I received my interview invitation the very beginning of October. It was 11 days late because of the mail, and I scheduled 2 weeks after that to allow me time to plan a hotel stay, plan my travel, and of course schedule time away from work(s). I work 2 jobs. One purely research, and one in clinical research.

If you have any questions about the interview process, my thoughts and opinions, or anything else that I might be able to answer about NYCOM please feel free to ask. Even if my letter isn't a positive one when it arrives, it still won't negatively impact my current opinion of the school.

9. sandj9397

sandj9397 Member

I finally received my acceptance from NYCOM today! Now I can exhale.

10. pags

pags Senior Member

Congrats from a 4th year! One down, 299 to go. I wish you the best.

11. Hey Sand,

Where are you from that you got your acceptance today? I am guaging the mail time. ;-)

12. Frosty

Frosty Junior Member

Hey possible future NYCOM'ers,

I'm a current MSI at NYCOM, so if you have any questions ... ask away. I'll do my best to answer them.

To all of those who've heard, congrats, and to all of those waiting to hear, best of luck.

13. sandj9397

sandj9397 Member

Wish,

I live in New York City, Brooklyn to be exact. Thank you guys for the congrats guys. Frosty, how do you like the school so far. How's the block format of testing treating you?

14. bacl0007

bacl0007 Junior Member

Hey Frosty,

Thanks for taking time out from your schedule to answer our questions. It's very considerate of you and I am greatly appreciative. With that being said (hee hee), I was wondering if you can answer a question I have in regards to rotations. See, I live in Southern California and have heard alot of great things at NYCOM. I would LOVE to live in New York during my school year, but eventually I would like to return to Southern Cali to practice because my family is here. Is that going to be a problem and does NYCOM have rotations in Cali? Someone told me that to secure a residency at a certain place, it is better for you to have done a clinical rotation there...that's why I'm asking?

bacl0007

15. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

16. NYCOMScrubs

NYCOMScrubs Member

At NYCOM you have the opportunity to set up your own rotations during your 4th year. As long as NYCOM approves the program, you should be able to return to California during your 4th year to do rotations. Of course, you'll have to come back to NYCOM every once in a while for the occasional one day OMM enhancement.

17. pags

pags Senior Member

During your 4th year at NYCOM, you DO NOT have to return to school for OMM, unless they are changing the policy after I graduate. However, there are some rotations that you MUST do at a NYCOM accredited program in and around the NYC area. Unfortunately, you cannot stay away from NY the entire 4th year.

18. bacl0007

bacl0007 Junior Member

NYCOMScrubs + Pags,

Thanks for the info guys, the flexibility that NYCOM offers students their fourth year sounds great. As long as I get to see my family every so often, I'll be fine. I think that having the opportunity to work in the NY area and Cali will be great for me because of the wide variety of patients I would get to interact with. I can't wait for my interview Dec/7 :) I would really like to visit the campus and get a feel for the area. This will actually be my first trip to New York so I'm pretty excited about that as well. However,I wish that I was comming under happier circumstances... (Sept. 11) The one thing that still amazes me till this day is how everyone just forgot about their differences and risked their lives to help one another. That day, not only did we saw the dark side of man, but we also saw his humanity. I am soo proud of NY'ers and respect the courage that they have.

bacl0007

19. Frosty

Frosty Junior Member

Hey guys,

Sorry it has taken me sooooo long to get back to you. When you're in med school, as you will soon find out, time just seems to slip away. I can't believe Christmas break is just around the corner. It seems as if we just started classes a few weeks ago.

Sand9397 -
    School is going well, thanks for asking. I can't believe how much information I've learned since school started in August. I have two 3" binders stuffed full! We are currently in the middle of our third block of exams, which brings me to your second question ... the block exam format.

Coming from an undergraduate school (Worcester Polytechnic Institute - in MA) that ran on terms (four seven-week terms for the year, instead of two semesters), I was a little uneasy about the block format. However, now that I have two exam blocks under my belt, I find myself liking the block system here at NYCOM. As you may know, NYCOM has only had the block system in place for a year before I started. Prior to that, they had a system where they had an exam every Monday. As a comparison, I was talking to our two third year anatomy fellows and they both said that they wish they had our block system. They also said that with an exam every Monday, they never had any "free time" (and I use that word loosely) on the weekends. I feel that a schedule like that would cause you to burn out pretty quickly. So to answer your question … I think the block system works pretty well.

Bacl0007-
    From what I've heard and read, I agree with everything said here regarding 4th year rotations. I'm actually investigating completing one of my rotations in Maine (where I grew up).

I noticed that you have your interview on Dec 7th. I'll be in anatomy lab that day, so when you're on your campus tour and stroll through the anatomy lab ... give me a shout out. I'm at table #26. Also, if you would like to meet to ask any further questions or get a better tour - let me know and we'll set up a time. One last thing, before your tour, two 2nd year students will sit down with you to answer any questions. Feel free to ask them anything. They will answer you honestly and they do not report to the interviewers. Finally, good luck on your interview.

Until next time,
    Frosty

20. bacl0007

bacl0007 Junior Member

Hey Frosty,

Thanks for the extensive welcome! If all NYCOM students are this friendly, hey sign me up right now!! :) I was pretty nervous about the interview because of some deep seeded fears in regards to getting lost on the way to the interview....I'm terrible with directions :( I thought about flying in early and touring the facilities before my interview, if you have some free time that would be awesome. I just checked my interview date and it's on 12/13 versus 12/7. I know, getting too excited for my own good. Well, I hope they are not overwoking you too much at NYCOM, have a safe night.

bacl0007

21. sandj9397

sandj9397 Member

Good Luck bacl0007! The interview was really laid back and the student tour guide was great. She asked every question I could think of. Once again, good luck and I hope to see all you guys next year.

22. sandj9397

sandj9397 Member

oops, I mean she ANSWERED every question!

23. sandj9397

sandj9397 Member

Frosty,

Thanks for the reply. I have one more question. Does NYCOM give academic scholarships of any nature to incoming students or to current students?

24. pags

pags Senior Member

As far as I know, no. NYCOM is operated by NYIT, or the New York Institute of Technology, and I'm not sure of their scholarship policies. You can call NYCOM Student Affairs at 516-686-3777 and ask them if you want.

25. Frosty

Frosty Junior Member

Bacl0007 - Hey you're making me blush ... but seriously, you'll find that the students (and faculty for that matter) are pretty friendly here at NYCOM.

Previewing the school before your interview is an excellent idea. When I had my interview, I came down the day before and walked around the campus to get a feel of the school and find the building and room in which I would be interviewing. It definitely cut down the anticipation the next morning.

Unfortunately, 12/13 is the day before our last Biochemistry exam so I'll only be on campus in the AM for Anatomy lab ... sorry.

Sandj9397 -
    As I'm sure you are well aware, medical school doesn't offer much in terms of financial assistance, unless you want to go into the armed services. Everything is loans, loans, and more loans. If you ask me, that's one of the main contributors for the lack of primary care physicians. To answer your question - as far as I know, NYCOM doesn't offer any scholarships. If you are a New York resident, there are Tuition Assistance Programs (e.g. TAP) and a Regents Health Care Scholarship. I'm not a resident, so I can't provide you with any more information on those. To find out more give NYCOM Financial Aid a call at (516) 686-7960. You might also want to check with your local library or town hall. Sometimes cities/towns offer tuition assistant if you're willing to come back and practice there for X amount of time, etc. That's all I can think of now (anatomy and histology are using up most of my brain cells at this moment). If I think of anything else I'll post it later.

Good luck to all,
    Frosty
    :D

26. NYCOMScrubs

NYCOMScrubs Member